Punishment

Weekend Actuals 11/15-11/17 TTDW $36.6m TBMH $30.1m

I think that while you're quite level headed when it comes to Marvel Studios films. Yet I think you are rational enough to understand you too have a bias for the X-Men films, as much as me or the other TASM2  fanboys around here. Dark World's jump is a shame because the film simply deserved to make more. I don't want to pull the trigger just yet, but I think the critics are showing hints of a superhero films fatigue right now. Thor: The Dark World was easily better than Thor and arguably one of the best Marvel Studios films yet, albeit not as much innovative and outside the box as IM3. It deserved to make more, it didn't.

It's the audience I'm more interested in.

I'm not sure what bias I might be showing towards the X-Men other than that I voted DOFP would beat TASM2.

My hope is that DOFP will be along the vein of Fast and Furious 4. TASM2 feels more the same and I love Spidey, the films just don't feel fresh. DOFP, thus far, looks to offer something fresh within the X-Men franchise. 

TDW, whether it deserved to do monstrously better or modestly, the truth is it will do better. Box Office and Admissions. 

Captain America Winter Soldier will again test the audience limits. The question is how much will people listen to the critics, they didn't with TDW or it should've in theory done worse...same for MOS for that matter. 

• Like 1

But it's not an isolated thing for there to be major "surprise" in box office circles, that a movie with a cast that isn't primarily white manages to open strongly. Especially when it's not a Tyler Perry movie. It's always something that regulars on a box office board have little awareness of, because it's just not on their radar, so they ignore all the other signs, outside of tracking, of how big it could be. There's also the annual "OMG, women go to movies!" "surprise" that's just as annoying, as if women aren't half the population and every year doesn't have movies headlined by female stars that make a nice amount of money. Funny how Hollywood and box office watchers get amnesia that way. It makes you wonder just who is being tracked in the tracking and why it misses so badly at times.

I think it pretty clearly indicates that Hollywood execs and these boxoffice predictors dont care about researching films for women, black or hispanic. Yes they do go to the movies and its not surprising. If anyone thinks only white fanboys are giving superhero films these big box office revenues then they're delusional. 

• Like 2