baumer

Thurs #s AM2 5.1, DOS 5.0/Don't act like you're not impressed

Tangled went up 16% on the same Thursday.

Maybe I should wait for official numbers, but for Frozen I'm seeing-

Fri- $4.51m (+105%)

Sat- $7.53m (+67%)

Sun- $6.78 (-10%)

That is being pretty conservative in comparison to Tangled's Fri/Sat boosts and all the 2002 family films same Sunday drops (Dec 22) and leads to an $18.8 million weekend. Down 17% from last weekend.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1

Tangled is a beast

AM2 should have at least a 35 mill weekend.

I'm thinking $35 million would be solid. It might not be a super huge opening but seeing as how two years ago Ghost Protocol did $200+ million after a $29 million opening weekend in a similar date I wouldn't be worried about it's prospects.  :D

• Like 2

I'm thinking $35 million would be solid. It might not be a super huge opening but seeing as how two years ago Ghost Protocol did $200+ million after a $29 million opening weekend in a similar date I wouldn't be worried about it's prospects.  :D

I think we (myself included) have to realize that Christmas is not like the summer.  It's a marathon and not a sprint.  There are a million things to do over the holidays and obviously movies hold very well during the days and weeks ahead.  100 mill is locked for AM2 and if it holds as well as GP and even a film like King Kong, 150 is doable and 200 is not outside the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

I think we (myself included) have to realize that Christmas is not like the summer.  It's a marathon and not a sprint.  There are a million things to do over the holidays and obviously movies hold very well during the days and weeks ahead.  100 mill is locked for AM2 and if it holds as well as GP and even a film like King Kong, 150 is doable and 200 is not outside the realm of possibility.

It seems that each Christmas has relatively different trends as well. Like there are a few set days we know will drop (Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve) and a few days we know should increase (Christmas, normally the day after, New Years) but just about everything else is at least a little independent of any other year.

• Like 1

http://boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?view=calendargross&p=.htm Catching Fire is on pace to be the biggest grosser in the Holiday period of all time, as well as being the film that represents the largest % (gross and tickets) of the total Holiday Period gross by a margin, and that's before even accounting for 3D.

I don't think it will beat HP1 adjusted (holiday season).I don't really like looking at seasons other than Summer, they're far too variable in length so it's never apples to apples. Edited by lab276
  • Like 2

I don't think it will beat HP1 adjusted (holiday season).I don't really like looking at seasons other than Summer, they're far too variable in length so it's never apples to apples.

That's what is so fun about it!  :D

I just wish that the powers that be wouldn't have moved ANCHORMAN 2 to Wednesday instead of Friday.. Slowly but surely, were entering a world now where the blockbuster movie is no longer released on Friday anymore, but Wednesday instead.. If it's not broken, don't fix it.. One thing I do hope is that we never ever seen an ANCHORMAN 3.. Just leave it at 2 which is what I bet Hollywood wished they would've done with the HANGOVER movies..

Movies have had Wednesday releases for a long time now.  :blink:

Ok but looking at this. Could DOS be #1 this weekend?

It definitely could! They're side by side, but it's expected bigger Friday and Saturday jumps for DOS.

Nice numbers for both DOS and A2...

Frozen jump is crazy! Happy to seee that holding that well. 300M is almost locked

• Like 1