fmpro

Christmas Day numbers | Bilbo leads

<p>

so, how big of a weekend are we expecting for Frozen??

for reference, here's the list of biggest 5th weekends of all time,

looks like Frozen is going to be in some extremely impressive company:

It can actually go as high as 2nd in that list.

As for 2014, my most anticipated goes:

Big Hero 6

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (EMMA STONE)

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Interstellar

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Into the Woods

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Frozen's performance is impressive, but it was always going to be at least a decent hit. There was a lot of concern that Gravity would actually bomb.

that's because nobody knew what kind of film Gravity was until seeing it. Frozen was not supposed to make those kinds of numbers no matter what. 

2013 has been powered by the strength of its mid-budget films. You really can't make an accurate assessment of a film schedule at this stage.

There's no doubt that 2013 has been a great year for movies. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that 2013 will set the record for most movies over $100M and most movies over $200M.

You obviously can't judge the whole of 2014 at this stage, but it's a fair assessment to say that it's looking strong both blockbuster-wise and "quantity-wise". Quality-wise is a question unanswerable right now, but movies like Godzilla, Interstellar, and of course Mockingjay (among others, with something like GOTG being a huge question mark) have the potential to have both super high box office numbers and super high critics numbers.

that's because nobody knew what kind of film Gravity was until seeing it. Frozen was not supposed to make those kinds of numbers no matter what. 

With an A+ cinemascore, anything is possible. It also had the benefit of a lack of family competition in December (compared with Tangled having to deal with Narnia, Yogi Bear, and Tron).

Edited by tribefan695

There's no doubt that 2013 has been a great year for movies. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that 2013 will set the record for most movies over $100M and most movies over $200M.

You obviously can't judge the whole of 2014 at this stage, but it's a fair assessment to say that it's looking strong both blockbuster-wise and "quantity-wise". Quality-wise is a question unanswerable right now, but movies like Godzilla, Interstellar, and of course Mockingjay (among others, with something like GOTG being a huge question mark) have the potential to have both super high box office numbers and super high critics numbers.

Yeah, most of the movies that are my favorites this year I didn't see coming until they were here.  (Gravity, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Spectacular Now, 12 Years a Slave, Frozen, etc.)

Also, even knowing the movie Gravity was, it's still quite a feat that it made $250 mil given the unorthodox filmmaking style and pretty much being a one-woman show (which the marketing didn't really indicate). And with the October release date I doubt even Warner expected it to blow up that big.

Edited by tribefan695

Also, even knowing the movie Gravity was, it's still quite a feat that it made $250 mil given the unorthodox filmmaking style and pretty much being a one-woman show (which the marketing didn't really indicate).

when you actually see Gravity you realize it is a very mainstream movie. It is a survival thriller and has audience appeal. Not an arthouse type movie. 

• Like 1

when you actually see Gravity you realize it is a very mainstream movie. It is a survival thriller and has audience appeal. Not an arthouse type movie. 

There are plenty of survival thrillers that have made far less. Yes, Bullock is a popular actress, but her more appealing performances before were comedic/acerbic roles. I could just as easily have seen it failing to break $100 mil as making $250 mil.

Edited by tribefan695

I wouldn't say it's a mainstream movie, or it wasn't intended to be mainstream, it just clicked right with the audience and broke out into the mainstream.

There are plenty of survival thrillers that have made far less. Yes, Bullock is a popular actress, but her more appealing performances before were comedic/acerbic roles. I could just as easily have seen it failing to break $100 mil as making $250 mil.

except this also had a unique hook of being set in space. It also had one of the best uses of 3D. I think the more you learn about the movie the more apparent it was looking like a strong hit

Frozen's performance is impressive, but it was always going to be at least a decent hit. There was a lot of concern that Gravity would actually bomb.

Yeah, this is pretty much a non-argument. Frozen is having an amazing run, but everyone knew that it would at least do decently, and lots of folks expected it to do way over 200M and even 250M.

But lots of folks were very much expecting Gravity to bomb or wind up under 100M. Remember back to this past summer, and there were lots of reports of people laughing at the Gravity trailers. A few weeks before, when all the positive reviews were rolling in, everyone started jumping on the bandwagon, but before that, it seems like there were lots of dire predictions for Gravity.

Also, thumbs up for whoever mentioned WWZ. I was one of the ones on that bandwagon, but there's another where a lot of folks were thinking megaflop, but it wound up hitting 200M. In fact there were far more expectations for WWZ to flop than for Gravity.

I felt Gravity could be something big when the teaser came out. Also it looked great for 3D viewing. Frozen promo/vibe were run of the mill.

I wasn't really impressed with either of their initial teasers, but I expect it from Disney since they market everything towards children. The marketing for Gravity concealed pretty much every single one of the film's unique elements.