fmpro

Christmas Day numbers | Bilbo leads

Also, thumbs up for whoever mentioned WWZ. I was one of the ones on that bandwagon, but there's another where a lot of folks were thinking megaflop, but it wound up hitting 200M. In fact there were far more expectations for WWZ to flop than for Gravity.

Well, in my case, that would be a negative surprise.  -_-

except this also had a unique hook of being set in space. It also had one of the best uses of 3D. I think the more you learn about the movie the more apparent it was looking like a strong hit

Well, I certainly didn't expect a talent like Alfonso Cuaron to film in 3D and not make good use of it. But outside his Harry Potter movie he hadn't had much mainstream success, even when he tried to do mainstream (A Little Princess, Great Expectations)

I wasn't really impressed with either of their initial teasers, but I expect it from Disney since they market everything towards children. The marketing for Gravity concealed pretty much every single one of the film's unique elements.

I though Gravity's trailers were very well done. The serene music, beautiful shots of earth, a sudden explosion, the metal parts flying towards you (obvious watch it in 3D plug), and then zooming out to leave teeny tiny Sandra Bullock rotating alone in the giant space...shivers 

I guess I'm just not receptive to the serenity -> calamity style of editing a trailer. Every single cheap slasher movie ever has used it.

I think a more effective teaser for me would've been just showing the final two minutes of the opening shot of the film. You'd get the story, the players, and the style, and you're left wondering what happens next.

Edited by tribefan695

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-american-hustle-catches-667734

Hobbit: 10m

Frozen: 9m (!!!) 

Anchorman: 7m 

Wolf/Hustle: 6-6.5m 

Mitty/Banks: 5-ish

47 Ronin: <4m

Grudge: 2m 

Hobbit up by <10%

Frozen up by <50%

Anhorman and Hustle show a drop

Banks is flat

throw the 2002 calendar comparisons out of the window http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2002-12-26

• Like 1

I've gotta point out that Anchorman will be in the high 80s by Sunday. Everyone thought it was underperforming but Christmas might've saved it.

While many thought it was underperforming, there were those of us who actually knew about Christmas trends, who still said it has a chance at 120-140 mill.  It'll be at 100 mill before the end of the year so the 150 club is still very much alive.  

• Like 2

While many thought it was underperforming, there were those of us who actually knew about Christmas trends, who still said it has a chance at 120-140 mill.  It'll be at 100 mill before the end of the year so the 150 club is still very much alive.  

Yeah. Despite what some were saying Anchorman 2 has never been in a bad position.

• Like 1