LexJoker

Monday #s (12/30) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

I've been a lurker for quite some time... butI had to create an account...... I'm blown away by Frozen's numbers. I keep waiting for it to drop, but it just doesn't. So glad Disney was brave enough to return to musicals. That's what's been missing from animation the last decade, good original music. The fact that the Frozen Album is number 2 on iTunes right now is proof that people were hungry for something like this. 

Welcome! I hope you have an amazing time and don't regret this.  :D

I've been a lurker for quite some time... butI had to create an account...... I'm blown away by Frozen's numbers. I keep waiting for it to drop, but it just doesn't. So glad Disney was brave enough to return to musicals. That's what's been missing from animation the last decade, good original music. The fact that the Frozen Album is number 2 on iTunes right now is proof that people were hungry for something like this. 

Welcome. And yes, the moment was ripe for a movie like Frozen, along the lines of the early 90's Disney Renaissance classics, to break out in a HUGE manner. The kids who grew up with those Renaissance classics are now young parents with kids of their own, college students, or older teens i.e. the entirety of the lucrative 18-30 age demographic. So they are the driving force behind Frozen's monstrous success. It also helps that its "classic" feel appeals to older demographics as well. :)

• Like 2

They need to move Giants up to Holiday 2015. I mean, Disney could alternate between doing a musical one year and a light-hearted non-musical the next.

2014- Big Hero 6

2015- Giants

2016- Zootopia

2017- Moana

Would love if this was the schedule. But on second thought, The Good Dinosaur is a November 2015 release while Summer 2015 is a hot mess. Have no clue where Giants will fit in to stand a chance to make Frozen numbers.  :wacko:

• Like 4

1937-1942: Golden Age of Disney

1950-1967: Silver Age of Disney

1970-1977: Bronze Age of Disney

1989-1999: Platinum Age of Disney

2009-?: Palladium (?) Age of Disney

I'd substitute Rhodium for Palladium, value falls right in between Gold and Palladium. :D

• Like 1

1937-1942: Golden Age of Disney

1950-1967: Silver Age of Disney

1970-1977: Bronze Age of Disney

1989-1999: Platinum Age of Disney

2009-?: Palladium (?) Age of Disney

I prefer the term of Frozen being part of Disney's Great Awakening.

And yes, Frozen passed 250M, but you know what else it looks like it did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMBcTGJ4YM

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

I just realized that Frozen will pass the 400000 mark of tickets sold today or tomorrow here. Despicable Me 2 ended with 300000 tickets sold. Holy crap Frozen  :o

And 47 Ronin confirms his blockbuster status, with over 60000 tickets sold in the first 4 days. It is a huge opening. For comparison in the first 4 days these movie sold: Man of Steel - 36000 tickets; Pacific Rim - 18000 tickets; Oblivion - 37000 tickets; After Earth - 27000 tickets; Now You See Me, Wolverine, GI Joe 2 and Elysium - 40000 tickets; Die Hard 5 - 42000 tickets; World War Z - 52000 tickets; Gravity - 30000 tickets; White House Down - 22000 tickets. And the big shocker: Thor The Dark World - 55000 tickets.

• Like 3

I won't watch Frozen but its run is pretty remarkable. Particulalrly as most reviews are along the lines of 'this is charming' rather than 'this is a must-see'. Also, it's an animated movie that isn't relying on cute animals.

Lack of competition is also a reason.

They need to move Giants up to Holiday 2015. I mean, Disney could alternate between doing a musical one year and a light-hearted non-musical the next.2014- Big Hero 62015- Giants2016- Zootopia2017- Moana

I still can't believe they're leaving 2015 and 2017 empty of WDAS film. Yeah we're getting to in 2016 and 2018, but I'd still prefer a film once a year!