CoolioD1

PGA Nominees (Gravity AND 12 Years A Slave win)

I want it to be out of the race, but I think at this point, it's going to be close. What if this year there was an actual tie for BP at the Oscars. Imagine all the wtfs

Well, AH's last major guild win's the SAGs. So yeah, it's probably dead. With Cuaron picking up DGA and either 12 Years or Gravity (or both) sweeping at the BAFTAs, there isn't enough good press or buzz in the world capable of sustaining AH's momentum. 

And just a note, on BAFTA night the most important award to watch in terms of the BP race will be British Film. If Philomena picks up British Film then we know that Gravity's won Best Picture and will go on to win BP at the Oscars. But, if Gravity picks up British Film, then 12 Years has won Best Picture and will probably sweep the evening as well. Generally speaking if the British favourite of the year wins Best Film, they'll award something else British Film. Note: The Queen vs. Last King of Scotland, Atonement vs. This is England and even Slumdog (which absolutely swept) vs Man on Wire. Only The king's Speech won both recently, and let's be honest here. Gravity =/= King's Speech in the slightest.  

(The other important race is Supporting Actress in Nyong'o vs. JLaw. Whoever wins there will win the Oscar, 99.9% guaranteed) 

FUCK AMERICAN HUSTLE.

AND HOW THE FUCK CAN THERE BE A TIE. IT'S STATISTICALLY POSSIBLE WITH PREFERENTIAL BALLOTS.

Oh, and I was right about Gravity, yet again. I think it's gonna win BP. I mean Cuaron winning DGA is almost a given, imo. And Gravity's a good bet for Editing. I think we have our BP winner right here. (And of course, people on IMDB didn't listen. Psh.... ingrates :P)

That's the best thing you have said in ages. 

Well, AH's last major guild win's the SAGs. So yeah, it's probably dead. With Cuaron picking up DGA and either 12 Years or Gravity (or both) sweeping at the BAFTAs, there isn't enough good press or buzz in the world capable of sustaining AH's momentum. 

And just a note, on BAFTA night the most important award to watch in terms of the BP race will be British Film. If Philomena picks up British Film then we know that Gravity's won Best Picture and will go on to win BP at the Oscars. But, if Gravity picks up British Film, then 12 Years has won Best Picture and will probably sweep the evening as well. Generally speaking if the British favourite of the year wins Best Film, they'll award something else British Film. Note: The Queen vs. Last King of Scotland, Atonement vs. This is England and even Slumdog (which absolutely swept) vs Man on Wire. Only The king's Speech won both recently, and let's be honest here. Gravity =/= King's Speech in the slightest.  

(The other important race is Supporting Actress in Nyong'o vs. JLaw. Whoever wins there will win the Oscar, 99.9% guaranteed) 

I wouldn't say AH is out of the race yet. You never know, surprises can happen. But, to be honest, I don't think it will win BP. I just don't think you should outright call this a two-way race just yet

Probably after all the ballots were relegated, the difference between 12YAS and Gravity was like 50.0001% to 49.9999%. The PGA's got something like 30k members, I believe so the chances of this happening are like next to nil.

Oh there's 30k voters. I thought it was only a couple hundred.

I wouldn't say AH is out of the race yet. You never know, surprises can happen. But, to be honest, I don't think it will win BP. I just don't think you should outright call this a two-way race just yet

I should probably clarify what I mean, lol. At this point, it's a three way race for sure. What I mean by two way race is: based on how I think things will pan out (AH might win he WGA, but I'm thinking Her atm) with no more major guild wins, unless you count ACE comedy, AH won't factor in come Oscar night. I'm saying that during the final stretch (Basically BAFTA until the 25th) AH will be an also ran and it'll be just 12YAS and Gravity. I'm thinking Gravity with a small edge. And also Feb. is black history month so maybe 12 Years will benefit from that.

Let's not forget that actors are the AMPAS biggest branch, and actors really loved American Hustle. American Hustle is another serious contender.

This year reminds me a lot to 2000 Oscars. There were also three serious contenders: Traffic, Croaching tiger and hidden dragon and Gladiator. I also find a lot of similiarities between those films and this year contenders.

• Like 1

Very interesting development.

A tie actually isn't that bad for Hustle's chances since it shows divided opinion among the producer branch between 2 of the 3 top tier films. Gravity is expected to win the DGA so if it won the PGA outright it would be bad for Hustle. If 12 Years had won PGA outright it also would have been bad since then 12 Years would have taken Globe Drama, BFCA BP, and PGA, which sets up a strong narrative about momentum for the Oscar win.

Since DGA is expected to be Gravity, BAFTAs may end up as the key swing influence.