CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

On 11/27/2016 at 1:30 PM, goldenstate5 said:

I've heard this film is an insanely bland crowd pleaser.

So an Illumination film. It's gonna make money but please don't beat Moana... please...

Moana will barely make it to 200 mil domestic. This film will kill any late legs by Moana and should beat it. Illumination are just trolling Disney at the box office again.

11 hours ago, Hades said:

Moana will barely make it to 200 mil domestic. This film will kill any late legs by Moana and should beat it. Illumination are just trolling Disney at the box office again.

I do think Sing will do very well but Moana barely making $200M DOM because of Sing is such an overstatement. 

• Like 2

I think the first 6 days will be doubled through Jan 2nd, the end of the holiday session, and then it might make about that much again through the rest of its run. So based on the wrap's tracking it might make 65-80 for 6-days, full domestic run between 190 and 260.

9 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

I think the first 6 days will be doubled through Jan 2nd, the end of the holiday session, and then it might make about that much again through the rest of its run. So based on the wrap's tracking it might make 65-80 for 6-days, full domestic run between 190 and 260.

I did a write up on it on the buzz & tracking thread and simply no one cared for it. :(  will copy-paste it here.

If the projection's correct, think it'll have a run the most similar to the Alvin sequel's ($243M adj.), but obviously it can follow the trajectory on a higher scale.

Alvin had Sherlock Holmes and Avatar with no other direct family film competition, while Sing will have R1 and Passengers (and Assassin) with no other notable family options. Alvin also had the whole winter to itself till Alice in Wonderland arrived in March. While Alvin's RT rating was very low at 21%, it did have an A Cinemascore. And Alvin and Sing are both movies about cute animals singing pop songs.

Alvin opened on Wednesday as well, had $55M adjusted 3-day, $86M adjusted 5-day and $99M adjusted 6-day including Monday, and from that Monday it went on to earn whopping $69M more (again, adjusted) till its second Monday. and additional adjusted $75M followed by the end of its run. 

Of Course Sing will have more consistency than Alvin cause R1 won't be Avatar.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, yjs said:

I did a write up on it on the buzz & tracking thread and simply no one cared for it. :(  will copy-paste it here.

If the projection's correct, think it'll have a run the most similar to the Alvin sequel's ($243M adj.), but obviously it can follow the trajectory on a higher scale.

Alvin had Sherlock Holmes and Avatar with no other direct family film competition, while Sing will have R1 and Passengers (and Assassin) with no other notable family options. Alvin also had the whole winter to itself till Alice in Wonderland arrived in March. While Alvin's RT rating was very low at 21%, it did have an A Cinemascore. And Alvin and Sing are both movies about cute animals singing pop songs.

Alvin opened on Wednesday as well, had $55M adjusted 3-day, $86M adjusted 5-day and $99M adjusted 6-day including Monday, and from that Monday it went on to earn whopping $69M more (again, adjusted) till its second Monday. and additional adjusted $75M followed by the end of its run. 

Of Course Sing will have more consistency than Alvin cause R1 won't be Avatar.

Slight problem with the analysis is the part of where the holiday falls. Saturday will be depressed and Sunday will rebound some. Otherwise your analysis is good, calendar configuration is just off. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Slight problem with the analysis is the part of where the holiday falls. Saturday will be depressed and Sunday will rebound some. Otherwise your analysis is good, calendar configuration is just off. 

yeah thanks, for Alvin, Christmas eve fell on Thursday and I couldn't decide if it worked better for it or worse. Sing will have a much more healthier Wed-Thu frame altho its 3-day can be a little dented as you pointed out, but that could probably lead to a better multi and less frontloaded-ness.

• Like 3

actually found two years that had Christmas fall on Sunday, 2011 and 2005 and using multis from the holiday movies in those years (altho, those were performing on a much smaller scale.) a $80M 6-day could lead this to $320M+! it really depends on the Dec 26th~Jan 2nd frame

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 7:30 AM, Hades said:

...seriously

It's like, at $120 mil already. You seriously think it will barely do $200 mil because of a film that comes out in three weeks? Are you for real?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Captain H said:

This is opening in my country tomorrow ^_^

Will give my review and ranking among this year's animated films once I watched it.

23 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

100 seems a stretch, but when you're only doing mostly just the hooks of songs...

Also, 1 original song.

85 that were licensed, but for most from the catalogue the use of the songs are very subtle in the film. :) 

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/illumination-announces-sing-with-85-songs-and-matthew-mcconaughey-as-a-koala-121742.html

14 minutes ago, yjs said:

85 that were licensed, but for most from the catalogue the use of the songs are very subtle in the film. :) 

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/illumination-announces-sing-with-85-songs-and-matthew-mcconaughey-as-a-koala-121742.html

Oh, I'm not surprised by how many songs, it's pretty funny when everytime you hear a character rehearsing it's a different song than their final event.

• Like 1

I just came back from watching Sing. Not much of a story there, 100+ minutes felt long, except for the rousing final 25 minutes or so.

After watching Moana just a week before, the difference in animation quality is so obvious. There's a reason Sing is made at half the cost of Moana.

It was gangbusters with the female audience. Excellent counterprogramming material for the non-Star Wars crowd.