Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

So, if it's a fairly uncompetitive year I wonder could Dawn of the Planet of the Apes pull a nom?It's getting dark knight stellar reviews and they increased the BP nod max to 10 because of that snub.

The reviews it's getting would put it up for nomination, but remember that it's a blockbuster and they can be as good as they want and still not get nominated for anything. That's its major disadvantage. We've seen numerous well received blockbusters that didn't get nominated after the 10 BP nod was introduced (Deathly Hallows Part 2, Avengers, Skyfall, Looper). Not all were so well received by General Audience or it was just revealed that, despite the good reviews, it was far from actually deserving such a high RT score.

So, if it's a fairly uncompetitive year I wonder could Dawn of the Planet of the Apes pull a nom?It's getting dark knight stellar reviews and they increased the BP nod max to 10 because of that snub.

If it was the Avatar rules then it had a chance. The new rules it does not have a chance since it needs to be number 1 on at least 5% of votes. 

• Like 1

I don't know about ApesDeathly Hallows Pt. 2 missed out in 2011Avengers and Skyfall missed out in 2012Frozen missed out in 2013 Just because a blockbuster is critically acclaimed or universally beloved sadly doesn't mean it will get nominated for BP. Les Miz (160 minutes of non stop singing) is better than Avengers or Skyfall? Or even Perks of Being a Wallflower or Cabin in the Woods (not blockbusters but significantly better than Les Miz)? Frozen definitely deserved a BP nod if Avatar and Titanic deserved one. Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 and Rango were better than a lot of the 2011 nods (Melachonila wasn't even nominated)Interstellar is probably the token blockbuster this year as far as BP nods go.

apes isn't happening. can't even entertain the idea. even if literally every "oscar movie" released later this year is shit they'd still get nominated over apes.

Yeah, it needed its reviews to stay in the 8+ range to have any kind of shot. Interstellar's going to be the token "blockbuster" nod if there is any, although Lego deserves it too.

• Like 1

If I were to pick what I'd want to see nominated (based on anticipation or the actual film) The LEGO MovieThe Grand Budapest HotelSnowpiercerBoyhood Guardians of the Galaxy Gone GirlInterstellar FoxcatcherUnbrokenWild Of course, half of those are really unlikely

Grand Budapest Hotel is an extreme fringe contender at best. I love the movie as much as anyone, but the Academy has always been cold to Wes Anderson's films, and the March release all but assures that it will have a difficult time staying in the conversation come awards season.

Boyhood could definitely make some noise, though. The concept is intriguing enough that it won't be forgotten by year's end.

• Like 1

So, is Boyhood looking to be the front runner right now? 

[*]Boyhood

[*]Unbroken 

[*]Gone Girl 

[*]Interstellar 

[*]The Imitation Game 

Those are my guesses for the 5 serious BP nominees 

As for the rest,

[*]Into the Woods

[*]Foxcatcher  

[*]American Sniper

[*]Wild 

[*]Fury 

Those are the 10 with the best shot at a nod right now. Nothing's really set in stone as to frontrunner, yet. That usually takes until December/January to know

I'd honestly be surprised if Into the Woods actually got nominated in the main category. Rob Marshall is toxic.

Don t forget Chicago, bo smash and Ampas darling.I heard the original Into the Woods musical is super prestigious and kinda hard to grasp. Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I don't know about ApesDeathly Hallows Pt. 2 missed out in 2011Avengers and Skyfall missed out in 2012Frozen missed out in 2013Just because a blockbuster is critically acclaimed or universally beloved sadly doesn't mean it will get nominated for BP.Les Miz (160 minutes of non stop singing) is better than Avengers or Skyfall? Or even Perks of Being a Wallflower or Cabin in the Woods (not blockbusters but significantly better than Les Miz)?Frozen definitely deserved a BP nod if Avatar and Titanic deserved one.Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 and Rango were better than a lot of the 2011 nods (Melachonila wasn't even nominated)Interstellar is probably the token blockbuster this year as far as BP nods go.

I think Frozen only missed out on the BP nod because Disney campaigned Saving Mr. Banks instead.

Don t forget Chicago, bo smash and Ampas darling.

I'm not forgetting Chicago, but people seem to be forgetting Memoirs of a Geisha and Nine. Which, yes, received a combined 10 nominations, but 9 of those were in technical categories (where I'm sure Into the Woods will score too), and both films' RT ratings average out to 36%.