Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

respectable-big name directors in 2018 is a code name for =

non MCU directors, non franchise directors except some minor exceptions.

Big name director is a rare exception among the 6,500 director by definition.

But I will list name of big name director that have made franchise movies that I think are respected (all of them to ever get a guild nomination being obviously respected):

Ron Howard, Peter Jackson, Villeneuve, Nolan, Abrams, Cameron, Burton, Scott, Bird, Cuaron, Fincher, Ang Lee, Miller, Spielberg, del Toro, Soderbergh.

What could be happening here, is that the second they become respected even if they made many sequels/franchise entry you stop seeing them has franchise director making in a trivial way a rule that by itself no franchise director are respected by default.

If you think Ryan Coogler, Branack, Ang Lee, etc... stopped being respected because they made a MCU movie... go read how Sony talk of The Russos and Gunn in the leaked e-mail if you think they are not respected.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Big name director is a rare exception among the 6,500 director by definition.

But I will list name of big name director that have made franchise movies that I think are respected (all of them to ever get a guild nomination being obviously respected):

Ron Howard, Peter Jackson, Villeneuve, Nolan, Abrams, Cameron, Burton, Scott, Bird, Cuaron, Fincher, Ang Lee, Miller, Spielberg, del Toro, Soderbergh.

What could be happening here, is that the second they become respected even if they made many sequels/franchise entry you stop seeing them has franchise director making in a trivial way a rule that by itself no franchise director are respected by default.

If you think Ryan Coogler, Branack, Ang Lee, etc... stopped being respected because they made a MCU movie... go read how Sony talk of The Russos and Gunn in the leaked e-mail if you think they are not respected.

But all the directors you have listed are fairly old, at least 50, 60 yo old.

According to cinepiles, new blood in the respectred directors field is rare.

Plenty of young directors do a giant tentpole-brand movie as their second movie, difficult to become an auteur and earn cinephiles street cred  in those cirumstances.

What would be the new fairly popular auteurs of the last 15 years ?

Snyder, Nolan and Villeneuve ? Wan ?

It s either that or people who make very little seen movies like PTA  ...

Edited by The Futurist

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Martin Campbell "saved" and re-booted James Bond twice and has never been given proper credit for it.

I think Campbell did get credit for it, but he badly hurt his reputation with the Green Lantern fiasco. I am not going to defend him there.GL was an excreable film, and Campbell was a very bad choice for it.  I think the old film business saying that "you are only as good as your last film" often applies, however unfair it might be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

But all the directors you have listed are fairly old, at least 50, 60 yo old.

Not Ryan Coogler, Matt Reeves is old but started not so long ago at being known, Lords and Millers, Edgar Wright is 44, Wan is 41.

All the good franchise director that got a lot of financial success will get a shot at a non franchise movie with good distribution budget. If they do The Book of Henry they will not get much respected if they do good movies they will be.

And you still have the Chazelle road of having movie seen by many tens if not hundred of million all over the world and getting a lot of respect.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

According to cinepiles, new blood in the respectred directors field is rare.

You talk has if you were not one of those, you are so much a cinephile you go see a long list of movie you do not even expect to like. The biggest cinephiles I know in real lifes own MCU dvd Collections and respect a Whedon and others a lot.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I think they will get a up and coming director for Bond 25 with not much live action movies under their belt.

Or they could promote in house which is what they did with  John Glen: he had been an editor and 2nd Unit director on Bond films since "Thunderball" and they gave him a shot as director with "For Your Eyes Only". Went on to direct FOur other Bond Movies,though IMHO is never quite made one as good as FYEO and made the worst Bond film with "A View To A Kill". But they were all finianclly successful.

But if you give a director with little experience with live action a film as big as a Bond film,you are just asking for production problems and delays, I think there will go with somebody who has experience on big action films.

Edited by dudalb

For a lot of movies in the late 70's, 80's, most Bond stunts were done by the legendary french stuntman Rémy Julienne and his team.

They did their stunts without wires erased in post-production.

Bitches.

Hi Tom C !

Hi George M !

:shades:

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Or they could promote in house which is what they did with  John Glen: he had been an editor and 2nd Unit director on Bond films since "Thunderball" and they gave him a shot as director with "For Your Eyes Only". Went on to direct FOur other Bond Movies,though IMHO is never quite made one as good as FYEO and made the worst Bond film with "A View To A Kill". But they were all finianclly successful.

But if you give a director with little experience with live action a film as big as a Bond film,you are just asking for production problems and delays, I think there will go with somebody who has experience on big action films.

Bond's 2nd unit director over the Craig run is Alexander Witt who's latest film is Infinity War.  But Glenn was also an editor on the Bond films before

Anyway, not at all surprising considering they had the dueling scripts thing going on with Doyle most definitely having his own vision while Barbara Broccoli would never concede control  and micromanages everything.

Bummer. I was looking forward to a Bond movie directed by Boyle. Would have been interesting at the very least. 

Honestly, I just want it to be good. Craig’s movies have been hit and miss, quality wise for me. I’d like to see him go out on a high note. 

• Like 1

And, if they want to keep the releast date, they have to start filming soon, they can't wait around long before getting a new director on board. Delaying production until a director is free is not at option unless they want to just throw in the towel on the release date.

It might be a case of not "Who Do We Really  Want" but "Who Is The Best Director Available"?

I suspect a couple of the first choice directors are commited legally to other projects are are out of the running.

Edited by dudalb

new interview with Barbara Brocooli on why Boyle left

“I think Danny's hilarious, but he comes from a background of sketch comedy and when you are making these movies you can do that and there’s plenty of room for improvisation, we do that all the time, but it has to be inside of a highly structured process or you can’t get the work done and you can’t move the armies of people to anticipate and have things ready. So, it literally came down to process. Just getting it done.”

Just now, John Marston said:

new interview with Barbara Brocooli on why Boyle left

So she's saying "You can make your own movie with your own style, except you can't". That's also why I don't think they will get a "name" anymore and instead just get someone who can deliver the movie by October 

• Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So she's saying "You can make your own movie with your own style, except you can't". That's also why I don't think they will get a "name" anymore and instead just get someone who can deliver the movie by October 

He's taking the piss using Kennedy's quote

10 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Not really...

Ok yeah I thought it was a more serious no than the :

“Eddie Hamilton [Editor on Fallout], every day in the editing room was like, ‘Come on, man, it’s obviously a trilogy you’re coming back, you have to finish it, you didn’t kill Lane,’ and I was like, ‘It’s somebody else’s problem.’ Tom [Cruise] has asked, the studio has asked, and I was like, ‘You know maybe I’ve got an idea for…’ and then the reviews came out and I was like, ‘Get outta here. Just stop.’ I felt so bad for the director of Mission 6 and I feel even worse of the director of 7. I’d rather have leprosy than be in the position of the person having to confront the pressure of the hyperbole of this movie on their first day of shooting the film. It’s too much to confront. I’d need a long nap before I could contemplate it.”