Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, Sheldon Cr said:

ill come in with you on that bet as well Iron Jimbo. If hes willing. Null and void if a natural disaster happens that effects a major domestic territory or 3 as well Iron Jimbo. But the most high willing its a great year for us all in 2020. I'm pretty sure avatar is a lock for a 5x multiplier if ow is under 200m. 

Lets rock. I feel the same energy I felt when Titan and Juggernaut 2009 took the world by storm. We are going 3 peat.

Perhaps @VenomXXR will take that bet?

Kal, we're going for a 6 peat here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If the TFA can have 3.8x legs, Avatar 2 will have 5 atleast. TFA was mediocre.

Let's finalise this.

I bet you 2 months gold that Avatar 2 will have 5x legs, this is voided if it makes less than 200m opening weekend.

13 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

ill come in with you on that bet as well Iron Jimbo. If hes willing. Null and void if a natural disaster happens that effects a major domestic territory or 3 as well Iron Jimbo. But the most high willing its a great year for us all in 2020. I'm pretty sure avatar is a lock for a 5x multiplier if ow is under 200m. 

Lets rock. I feel the same energy I felt when Titan and Juggernaut 2009 took the world by storm. We are going 3 peat.

lol at finalizing a bet *checks calendar* 20 months before the movie comes out.

But yes, I'll take both, I ain't scared. 

Just to make sure you are aware Kal, the bet is that has to be over $200m opening weekend, not under.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Just to make sure you are aware Kal, the bet is that has to be over $200m opening weekend, not under.  

you make a good point.

will we remember?

oh well

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

you make a good point.

will we remember?

oh well

I swear there used to be a bet thread to keep track of this sort of thing, but I couldn't find it back in Feb.

I'm not going anywhere though and don't worry, I will remind you when it get's closer 😉

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh okay so if at least 201m it has to have a 5x to win right?

18 hours ago, JimiQ said:

Lightning doesn’t strike twice

It did for Cameron... literally titanic and Avatar, his last 2 releases were the top grossing movies of all time. Lol. It likely won’t bear endgame but for those facts alone I can’t count him out.

Edited by jaybox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaybox said:

It did for Cameron... literally titanic and Avatar, his last 2 releases were the top grossing movies of all time. Lol. It likely won’t bear endgame but for those facts alone I can’t count him out.

I was talking about getting every theater-going person excited about 3D. That happened only once and never be repeated

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

It absolutely has not especially in the UK. Ticket prices very similar to what I paid in pounds in 2013. The unlimited plan cost has increased $0 in 6 years.

Opening will be way bigger and legs will be way smaller. 

Avatar's ticket price average in the UK was ~£5.69.

The Force Awakens' was £7.23.

The Last Jedi's was £7.52.

Infinity War's was £7.70.

The GBP/USD exchange rate for Avatar was around $1.60 per £. £1 is currently worth around $1.30.

With Infinity War's ticket price average and today's exchange rates, Avatar's UK gross would increase by about 10% in dollars.

Now imagine what the ticket price averages are going to look like for Avatar 2, which will have 2 and a half years of ticket price inflation over Infinity War (which already had a ticket price average 35% greater than Avatar's).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Avatar's ticket price average in the UK was ~£5.69.

The Force Awakens' was £7.23.

The Last Jedi's was £7.52.

Infinity War's was £7.70.

The GBP/USD exchange rate for Avatar was around $1.60 per £. £1 is currently worth around $1.30.

With Infinity War's ticket price average and today's exchange rates, Avatar's UK gross would increase by about 10% in dollars.

Now imagine what the ticket price averages are going to look like for Avatar 2, which will have 2 and a half years of ticket price inflation over Infinity War (which already had a ticket price average 35% greater than Avatar's).

I have googled atp in uk in 2010 5.95 (mind you - most of avatar's gross was in 2010) for 9.57 usd and AIW for 9.51 usd. Also Avatar had bigger 3D ratio thus increasing atp even further (but let's guess the 3D ratio for A2 will stay the same)

21 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

I have googled atp in uk in 2010 5.95 (mind you - most of avatar's gross was in 2010) for 9.57 usd and AIW for 9.51 usd. Also Avatar had bigger 3D ratio thus increasing atp even further (but let's guess the 3D ratio for A2 will stay the same)

I've used actual admission data from Avatar and Infinity War, rather than yearly ticket price averages which are less than accurate.

Avatar sold 16.51m tickets (see here, here) in its 2009-10 run and grossed about £94.0m (see here, here) for a ticket price average of £5.69.

Infinity War sold 9.19m tickets (see here) in its theatrical run and grossed about £70.8m (see here, here) for a ticket price average of £7.70.

Edited by hw64
  • Thanks 2

for some reason I've been seeing a ton of negative posts about Avatar on facebook recently, where everyone is saying no  one can remember avatar and it was only a success because of the CGI

I cant wait for 19 months time to see them wet themselves over avatar 2.

• Thanks 1

So on the historic day that Titanic has been surpassed by the first non-Cameron film (nod to endgame's achievement, which is very impressive)

Please let us all remember Titanic's greatness:

- It achieve the ultimate triple crown (Domestic crown, global crown and Oscar best picture) is a spectacular fashion that likely won't ever be repeated again.

- 1.84B in 1997, double previous all time worldwide box office record set by Jurassic Park in 1993

- 600M domestic (all time domestic record, held on to it for 12 years), still to this day, the highest domestic admission during a film's first run

- When Titanic was released in 1997, it tripled the second highest grossing film of the year (The Lost World, Jurassic Park)

- First ever Billion dollar film in the world (it almost got to 2B when no film got to 1B)

- 1.2B+ overseas in 1997, in a world where overseas developing markets are mostly tiny

- it's 3D re-run in 2012 was the second highest grossing film in China of that year

-Titanic remained the highest grossing film in China from 1998-2009, despite the rapid expansion of that market

Titanic, the most impressive global run of a film ever. 

:whosad:

Edited by NCsoft
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

for some reason I've been seeing a ton of negative posts about Avatar on facebook recently, where everyone is saying no  one can remember avatar and it was only a success because of the CGI

I cant wait for 19 months time to see them wet themselves over avatar 2.

If it does really well it could double endgames gross. Wont that make some go bat guano insane.  I'm hoping for at least a can of asswhooping gap between the pretenders and Avatar2 of at least 1.6 to 2.2b. Anything bigger is just more celebration time and naysayers can go hide somewhere lol.

My predict for now is a domestic wallop of 1.09b and total of 3.7b .ww.

( but I love the 4.5-5.6 billion predicts Im seeing for A2 on the web) Wow its going to be a James Cameron triumph long remembered😎💪

Edited by Sheldon Cr

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

I've used actual admission data from Avatar and Infinity War, rather than yearly ticket price averages which are less than accurate.

Avatar sold 16.51m tickets (see here, here) in its 2009-10 run and grossed about £94.0m (see here, here) for a ticket price average of £5.69.

Infinity War sold 9.19m tickets (see here) in its theatrical run and grossed about £70.8m (see here, here) for a ticket price average of £7.70.

School Em HW 64😎