Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

Dumb comparison, SW is very frontloaded franchise, Avatar was very backloaded. It's James Cameron's movie, no way it's making less than 2 bln, especially with China.

No no no no, look at Star Wars and how Empire performed afterwards. That's where you have a comparison. 

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

No no no no, look at Star Wars and how Empire performed afterwards. That's where you have a comparison. 

Gotta be more specific.

Are you talking from Avatar to Avatar 2, or Avatar 2 to Avatar 3?

Empire was released 2 years after Star Wars.

Right now Avatar adjusted is well over 3 billies.

32 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Gotta be more specific.

Are you talking from Avatar to Avatar 2, or Avatar 2 to Avatar 3?

Empire was released 2 years after Star Wars.

Right now Avatar adjusted is well over 3 billies.

Of course I'm talking about A1-A2. We can't know how the he other sequels will perform until we see how the first sequel does. 

56 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Of course I'm talking about A1-A2. We can't know how the he other sequels will perform until we see how the first sequel does. 

So can you explain to me who A New Hope to Empire and Avatar to Avatar 2 are in anyway comparable?

7 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think unfortunately those of you expecting an increase here are being naive. This is going to be huge, but 1.5bn huge, not biggest of all time huge. 

Exchange Rates are weaker than they were in 2009, people are less likely to go back to a sequel like they did for the original, and the discovery factor will be lower. 

In no way will this movie fail, but it is never going to live up to the numbers you guys are suggesting. Star Wars genuinely gives you the blueprint for how this is going to behave. 

In the christmas season  aquaman did 1.2B dollars.

Avatar 2 in the worst scenario will do 1 B dollars only between Us and China. Do you really think during christmas holiday it will do only 500M Os (- China) when aquaman did Os (- China) 514 m dollars?. No way  😝

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I can see it happening to A2 - A3 but not A1 - A2

A2 is hitting 3B+ while A3 is probably staying in the 2B+ range

@IronJimbo Oh looky, the studios are already swapping out their tentpoles for lessers... Over 20 months to go and the studios are already scared stiff of Avatar 2...

https://deadline.com/2019/04/sing-2-croods-2-release-date-changes-1202594951/

Universal Pictures had release date changes for two animation sequels today: Illumination Entertainment’s Sing 2  will now open on Friday July 2, 2021 instead of its original Dec. 23, 2020 release date. Meanwhile, DreamWorks Animation’s The Croods 2 will take over that Dec. 23 date and relinquish its Friday, Sept. 18 2020 opening date.

Replacing a sequel to a 270m grosser with a sequel to a petty 187m grosser... 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

@IronJimbo Oh looky, the studios are already swapping out their tentpoles for lessers... Over 20 months to go and the studios are already scared stiff of Avatar 2...

Wow. With both Sing 2 and Sherlock Holmes 3 gone, there's really nothing standing in Avatar 2's way at all. I doubt anybody cares about the Croods anymore, which will probably gross sub-$150 million DOM even with holiday legs. Avatar faced two $200+ million DOM films during its run in comparison. 

• Like 1

from Zoe Saldana: it looks like Jake and Neytiri will be facing all kinds of issues 

https://www.newsweek.com/zoe-saldana-missing-link-role-kids-teasing-avatar-sequels-1393365

You've already wrapped production on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3. What was it like to return to this universe to reprise Neytiri?

It was amazing. I feel really lucky that I’ve been able to do that on multiple occasions, on multiple projects. Neytiri is my favorite character that I’d ever, ever played. Now that we’ve come back to see Jake Sully [Sam Worthington] and Neytiri, they’re going to have to battle so many more adversities that they could ever imagine. Jim [director James Cameron] has really put together a story that will be really hard for audiences to forget.

What would you say was the reason for Avatar’ s subsequent sequels being delayed?

This was a really big undertaking the first time around and it took many, many years to put together. I think it’ll be the same amount of time putting the sequels together as well. We also had to wait for the technology to continue to evolve. [Cameron] had other projects he was paying attention to. He also needed to take time off to write these scripts. He wanted to make sure the story was heading in the direction it needed to go in.

Avatar first debuted in 2009. Why do you think moviegoers will still be interested in seeing this film universe further explored within four additional sequels in the years to come?

I think that if anything, Avatar will gain more people. Whoever was just being born in 2009 are now 10 years old. By next year, they’ll be 11 or 12, like super ready for Avatar and be introduced for the very first time. For many of us, we’ll just be reintroduced all over again. Whether you’re watching it with fresh eyes or you’ve been a fan, it’s still something that’s going to blow your mind. What made this movie [work initially] was just that it was so extraordinary to watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Wow. With both Sing 2 and Sherlock Holmes 3 gone, there's really nothing standing in Avatar 2's way at all. I doubt anybody cares about the Croods anymore, which will probably gross sub-$150 million DOM even with holiday legs. Avatar faced two $200+ million DOM films during its run in comparison. 

The only real competition now that Disney owns almost everything would be a DC universe movie/Fast & Furious/Jurassic type blockbuster and you know that Warner Bros. or any other studio for that matter will simply avoid Dec 2020 and 2021. 

4 hours ago, feasby007 said:

That's disappointing. Sing was a fantastic movie for the holidays. Saw it on Boxing Day and had a blast! 

Can't argue with Illumination's customary early July slot though.

20 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think unfortunately those of you expecting an increase here are being naive. This is going to be huge, but 1.5bn huge, not biggest of all time huge. 

Exchange Rates are weaker than they were in 2009, people are less likely to go back to a sequel like they did for the original, and the discovery factor will be lower. 

In no way will this movie fail, but it is never going to live up to the numbers you guys are suggesting. Star Wars genuinely gives you the blueprint for how this is going to behave. 

ER won't be the same in Dec 2020 as they are now. No chance. 

17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

So can you explain to me who A New Hope to Empire and Avatar to Avatar 2 are in anyway comparable?

biggest film ever -> sequel to biggest film ever

seems like a quite reasonable comparison. 

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

biggest film ever -> sequel to biggest film ever

seems like a quite reasonable comparison. 

a sequel 3 years after, the market was quite similar, now the world is changing with some markets there are becaming bigger than the american market. From 2009 to now the world is so different. Avengers was one of the biggest film ever and well...infinity war (the third chapter of the saga) was a looooot bigger. And endgame will be probably again....bigger. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

a sequel 3 years after, the market was quite similar, now the world is changing with some markets there are becaming bigger than the american market. From 2009 to now the world is so different. Avengers was one of the biggest film ever and well...infinity war (the third chapter of the saga) was a looooot bigger. And endgame will be probably again....bigger. 

now that is a useless comparison.

• Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

now that is a useless comparison.

Max is right though, it's now been show average movies with big followings can make $2b.

Just wait until something legitmately good which is a full on movie experience raising the bars and blowing minds come along.

what ever that may be ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Max is right though, it's now been show average movies with big followings can make $2b.

Just wait until something legitmately good which is a full on movie experience raising the bars and blowing minds come along.

what ever that may be ;)

i think you misunderstood my snarky comment, I just saying that comparing a film thats a 22nd sequel in franchise is nothing like an original film that reaches #1.

and obviously ava2 is going $2B. i already said some time ago i'll delete my account if avatar 2 goes under 2 billies.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Avatree said:

i think you misunderstood my snarky comment, I just saying that comparing a film thats a 22nd sequel in franchise is nothing like an original film that reaches #1.

and obviously ava2 is going $2B. i already said some time ago i'll delete my account if avatar 2 goes under 2 billies.

infinity war it's not a 22nd sequel

anyway avenger 1 did 1.5 B and avangers 2 1.4B

just 100 M less after 3 years, that's because the first one did 86M in china and the second 3 years after 240M 😂

So comparing the market today with the 80's movies market, a very  static WW market has no much sense for me. 

Edited by maxalcamo

1 minute ago, maxalcamo said:

infinity war it's not a 22nd sequel

anyway avenger 1 did 1.5 B and avangers 2 1.4B

just 100 M less after 3 year, that's because the first one did 86M in china and the second 3 years after 240M 😂

So comparing 80's movie with a static WW market has no much sense for me. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10202383

• Haha 1