Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 hours ago, vc2002 said:

I dont know if these data are true but if they are, we're still talking about a 300-400m gap here, and we didnt factor in the market growth and ticket price inflation (but of cause in TFA's favor 3D/2D ratio should be considered as well). Two countries for example, in 2009, before Avatar release, the highest grossing film in China made $80m. That record now is $530m. Growth in Russia, according to KinoPoisk.ru, total yearly admissions went from 2009's 132m to 2013's 177m.(no data after 2013).

A lot of countries do show movie admissions. Maybe someone could collection those info for a better comparison?

I calculated those datas so absolutely true.

And I don’t worry about Asia especially China.It may earn $650m-$850m in the biggest film market of future I guess.

But Euro and Latin America would be hurt by exchange rate.What’s more, I don’t think it will not do as well as the first Avatar in local currency.

20 hours ago, Elessar said:

No worries, Trump will make America not so great, the dollar will go south.

Could it be that Jim can predict the future so he delayed Avatar until the Dollar tanked to modern low?

qOV1d4r.jpg

I guess this quote was a fake after all.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2016 at 1:46 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Not my point though. The point is that when you look at Avatar's OS gross, it looks like something ungodly that nothing has even come close to. Not really true though. The likes of Furious 7, TFA, and JW all got way closer to that level than it appears. 

No they didn't. If you want to adjust for exchange rates, then you also need to adjust for ticket prices. For example, Avatar's average UK ticket price was around £5.60, while TFA's was around £7.20. In Australia, Avatar's average ticket price was near-on $12 AUD; TFA's was around $13.60 AUD. Germany: €10.14 average for Avatar, €11.33 average for TFA. In nearly all overseas markets, TFA's ticket prices were WAY higher on average than Avatar's. I suspect the same is true domestically, but we don't have any data to corroborate that.

If you simply look at admissions, Avatar blows TFA out of the water in Europe by around 30%, and even more for non-European overseas markets like Japan, China, Russia, South Korea etc.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

In the interest of provoking some truly simulating conversation, I wonder how far out they'll start marketing this. Will people panic again if the first trailer isn't released till the August before?

At a wild guess, I don't see them varying much beyond what they did before (sans Avatar Day): some sort of Comic-Con presentation and maybe teaser, with said teaser (or some variant) released in the fall and a full trailer sometime in late October. Followed, of course, by a giant post-Thanksgiving marketing blitz. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

We all know it'll be the best studio movie that year anyway. 

I just hope he really focuses on strengthening the existing characters and giving us interesting new ones. The reason the first one gets dumped on a lot these days is because it didn't give the audiences any characters to really hold onto or remember. So everyone nitpicks on the conventional plot that otherwise wouldn't have bothered most. 

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just hope he really focuses on strengthening the existing characters and giving us interesting new ones. The reason the first one gets dumped on a lot these days is because it didn't give the audiences any characters to really hold onto or remember. So everyone nitpicks on the conventional plot that otherwise wouldn't have bothered most. 

Given the premise, the characters were as compelling & interesting  & developped as they could, movie is 2h45, we really spend a lot of time with Ney'tiri & Jake Sully.

Ney'tiri teached Jake that having a Playstation, a car & I-Gizmos are not good for the soul and that we should live in tune with seasons, the animal kingdom & Mother Nature in general.

Jake realizing all this, decides to literally abandon his Humanity to become of the Na'vis.

The main idea of the movie is that we are self-destructive cockroaches, pillaging all we can until every ressouce runs dry.

And you re telling me the characters were not interesting ?

I think they were more off putting that un-interesting  to the average westerner & geek movie fan circa early 21 century.

Avatar asks to Humanity to look itself in a mirror and it ain't pretty.

No wonder the movie left no footprint in pop culture & movie fan kingdom.

Pop culture needs a General Quadritch to function properly.

A movie that triumphs animism over materialism & consumerism didn't sit well with geekdom ?

Schoking news.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4