Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, Eevin said:

I'm actually being serious here. God, this has to suck for Fox. 

http://deadline.com/2017/04/james-cameron-quits-avatar-franchise-studio-interference-12029867011/

James Cameron Quits ‘Avatar’ Franchise, Citing Studio Interference

In a crushing blow to fans of Avatar, James Cameron has washed his hands of the franchise. He has withdrawn from taking further part in the rest of the series. The reason? He and 20th Century Fox head Jim Gianopoulos could not find common ground on the script, on budget restrictions, and on certain qualitative elements of the film (including a possible trilogy of prequels set 150 years before the first film). That went right down to the selection of the CGI house to handle visual effects. It is unclear at this time if the studio will be using Cameron's scripts for the four planned Avatar sequels, but Gianopoulos said in a statement that he "remains committed to the portrayal of the Avatar series" and that a search for new directors "will begin as soon as final negotiations are settled". Sources have stated that potential candidates include Transformers chief Michael Bay and Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder.

Oh boy that URL part really reminds me of my college days when I often used that "method" to troll other users on the college official internet forum.

I barely does that these days. Guess I'm too old for that.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The idea of Jim quitting anything, very amusing. 

In the mid-1990s, Cameron announced that he would make a Spider-Man film, with Leonardo DiCaprio starring as Spider-Man and Arnold Schwarzenegger starring as Doc Ock. However, the project was cancelled and dropped by Cameron, but his script was rewritten by David Koepp for the 2002 movie Spider-Man, directed by Sam Raimi.

Avatar 2 to Begin Shooting in the Fall, According to Sigourney Weaver
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/833807-avatar-2-to-begin-shooting-in-the-fall-according-to-sigourney-weaver#TZmsLMr23Qp5GRTo.99

At a screening for The Assignment, Weaver told the site, “We’re starting! We’re starting training, and we’re starting — hm, I probably can’t say anything. We will be actually shooting it by the fall.” Though there is a delay in filming, she also gushed about the scripts. “I’m telling you, these scripts are so amazing. I’m not worried about [disappointing fans] at all. Am I worried about how we’re going to bring them to life? Yes, because they’re so ambitious. They’re so worth it. They’re well worth waiting for. I’m not worried about that at all. We’re trying to get it done as quickly as possible.”

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I also like that Avatar came out and basically started 3D and by the time Avatar 2 comes out 3D might be nearly dead.  

An ironic twist to be certain.

I can't even recall the last time a wide release blockbuster film was advertised as being in 3-D. I'm sure there have been some the last 1-2yrs but they didn't hit my radar cause I stopped caring about the gimmick as being worth the money for my film experience.

• Like 1

If Cameron can combine Laser projection 4K on an Imax screen + HFR60 + 4DX + Lightvibes or Screen X technology (something nobody has ever attempted nor achieved as of now) with a compelling action/aventure story like the first Avatar given the on-going inflation rate, making it an exclusive theater experience, he will strike gold (once again) and won't suffer the steep sequel-itis fall most people predict.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

If Cameron can combine Laser projection 4K on an Imax screen + HFR60 + 4DX + Lightvibes or Screen X technology (something nobody has ever attempted nor achieved as of now) with a compelling action/aventure story like the first Avatar given the on-going inflation rate, making it an exclusive theater experience, he will strike gold (once again) and won't suffer the steep sequel-itis fall most people predict.

There will be no widespread adoption of any of this, so neither will have much of an impact.

But Cameron doesn't need it, the "hook" as so many are trying to guess it, is his storytelling craftsmanship / ambitiousness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

There will be no widespread adoption of any of this, so neither will have much of an impact.

But Cameron doesn't need it, the "hook" as so many are trying to guess it, is his storytelling craftsmanship / ambitiousness.

Remember how widespread 3D was before Avatar...He has the leverage and the clout to push exhibitors moreso than a Nolan or a Tarantino...Cameron is in it to push the envelope and not content in doing more of the same. Cutting edge presentation and his archetypal storytelling are co-dependent especially for a story intended to immerse its audience into a dazzling alien universe like they never experienced in a movie before. He has to be ahead of the curve.

Cameron did "more of the same" his whole career if you will, with the exception of Avatar and one could argue 3D was already becoming a thing before it. It was Avatar that truly legitimated 3D, though. There will be your premium theaters like your IMAXs but anyone thinking the majority of theaters will throw out their equipment again is going to be wrong. I love progress, too, new shiny things, but economic realities are a bitch.

Edited by Elessar