Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

36 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Wait, I see some sea creatures. Are they those that we're gonna see from Avatar sequels, or something Disney came up with on their own?

My guess is we will see those whale like sea monsters in Avatar 2. Also Disney can't just add creatures and stuff to Jim's world, no way they came up with it or would be allowed to.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

My guess is we will see those whale like sea monsters in Avatar 2. Also Disney can't just add creatures and stuff to Jim's world, no way they came up with it or would be allowed to.

They can when Disney buys out Avatar as well :ph34r:

11 hours ago, The Panda said:

They can when Disney buys out Avatar as well :ph34r:

The Avatar saga will be known for being at the forefront of visuals and direction, it's a bit risky to buy Avatar and expect another director to keep up with Jimbo.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vc2002 said:

If that represents what we're gonna see in A2, I think we're definitely in for a mind-blowing visual treat like the first one.

:ohmygod::bourne::ohmyzod::sarah:

Ah, when the music kicks in it gives you the feels. Dammit, i'll miss Horner in the sequels, i just know it. :( 

Hopefully they don't scrap everything and instead keep using his themes cuz some of it is pretty amazing.  

Edited by Elessar

Although interest is still there somewhat, how much damage will the 11 year wait do? I was 17 and a junior in high school when this came out, and when this eventually comes out, it will have been nearly five years since I graduated college. Aside from Star Wars, what other franchise can withstand such a long time gap with general audiences?

2 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

Although interest is still there somewhat, how much damage will the 11 year wait do? I was 17 and a junior in high school when this came out, and when this eventually comes out, it will have been nearly five years since I graduated college. Aside from Star Wars, what other franchise can withstand such a long time gap with general audiences?

Jurassic Park just did a 14 year hiatus, Rocky took a 16 year than a 9 year one, Indiana Jones was an other very long one one, Beauty and the beast was 26 year, there is probably a short list but still a list of franchise that could take a 10-15 year's break and not be completely forgotten (Bond I would imagine too),

22 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Jurassic Park just did a 14 year hiatus, Rocky took a 16 year than a 9 year one, Indiana Jones was an other very long one one, Beauty and the beast was 26 year, there is probably a short list but still a list of franchise that could take a 10-15 year's break and not be completely forgotten (Bond I would imagine too),

The main problem that Avatar has compared to those is that it's still only one film at this point. Also, a lot of the reason people liked it was the 3D novelty as well as the graphics, a sentiment many people I know sadly share. Unless the technology is significantly upped for these sequels, I don't see a huge turnout.

3 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

Because Avatar sequels are like the typical Hollywood sequels which reply so much on a huge OW instead of legs right? I mean, who does Cameron think he is? Yes Titanic had a 20x multiplier in 1997 and Avatar had a 10x multiplier in 2009, but come on, A2 is gonna totally act like a typical Hollywood sequel.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Noodlebug said:

The main problem that Avatar has compared to those is that it's still only one film at this point. Also, a lot of the reason people liked it was the 3D novelty as well as the graphics, a sentiment many people I know sadly share. Unless the technology is significantly upped for these sequels, I don't see a huge turnout.

ANd a film that many people felt was a mediocre sci fi adventure when you take away the visuals. I think it is the story and charecters that have to be upped a lot for the sequels; I am not sure that Cameron can get away with another 3 hour tech demo. He has to make a film that is a better film then "Avatar".

Cameron has hired some other writers for this;which is a good sign; Cameron's writing was the weakest part of "Avatar".

Let's put it this way;almost everybody remembers and can name the characters from Star Wars;how many people,aside from the fans, can name the characters from "Avatar"?

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Let's put it this way;almost everybody remembers and can name the characters from Star Wars;how many people,aside from the fans, can name the characters from "Avatar"?

I would think very few people, but how many time people use name and how easy the name are too remember play a large role in that test. 

I remember Sam and Rick name in Casablanca and I'm not sure of the others, not because they are better character than (now looking for their name) Captain Louis Renault and Ilsa, just that the movie say those name really often and are easier for me to remember.

I'm not sure the weak if you take away the visual for a visual medium is really fair, John Wick/Fury Road/Alien/The Raid 1-2, many movie would be weak if you remove the production design/visual quality, that said many movie had gorgeous visual and failed to reach an audience completely and create word of mouth, it must have been more than this to the success of Avatar.

I feel like Avatar has been making a comeback in relevancy in the last couple years. There was a stretch there at the beginning of the decade where it did seem to be completely forgotten in the public conscious, but I've actually heard a lot of real world Avatar talk/appreciation lately. Especially have noticed how people are interested and asking about a sequel now. Maybe this gap will actually work to the film's advantage, building some hype with the wait. I mean it might have been detrimental if this had come out in 2014, (original release date lmao), back when it seemed like not a lot were caring much about the first one. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like Avatar has been making a comeback in relevancy in the last couple years. There was a stretch there at the beginning of the decade where it did seem to be completely forgotten in the public conscious, but I've actually heard a lot of real world Avatar talk/appreciation lately. Especially have noticed how people are interested and asking about a sequel now. Maybe this gap will actually work to the film's advantage, building some hype with the wait. I mean it might have been detrimental if this had come out in 2014, (original release date lmao), back when it seemed like not a lot were caring much about the first one. 

I tend to think so too, although I don't really know why, I also don't really know why it  faded fairly fast from public conscious in the first place, because Avatar has always  been relevant to me.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2