Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

No Cameron quotes? What happened to you IronJimbo? You used to be somebody I could trust.

Huh, but I just made up those lines. Why would I put fake quote onto a Jim pic?

• Like 1

Avatar haters always came up with "No one gives a fu&$% about avatar, it´s almost forgotten. The movie didnt had a cultural impact, blablabla."

I played titanfall 2 lately (awesome game) and after i saw the animals on the planet for the first time i was like "WOHHOO, wait a minute, those animals look very familiar."

maxresdefault.jpg

6834d23734ec96aa935c051d28754d21.jpg

And than i saw a trailer for the new bioware game "anthem", and i was like "Damn those arcs, luminescent plants etc.  also looks very familiar" starts at 2:22min

• Like 6

On 23/06/2017 at 10:10 PM, dignam said:

Avatar haters always came up with "No one gives a fu&$% about avatar, it´s almost forgotten. The movie didnt had a cultural impact, blablabla."

I played titanfall 2 lately (awesome game) and after i saw the animals on the planet for the first time i was like "WOHHOO, wait a minute, those animals look very familiar."

maxresdefault.jpg

6834d23734ec96aa935c051d28754d21.jpg

And than i saw a trailer for the new bioware game "anthem", and i was like "Damn those arcs, luminescent plants etc.  also looks very familiar" starts at 2:22min

Avatar haters don't realize that Next-Gen videogames they enjoy right now are built on technological advancement and achievement made by VFX companies for movies like Avatar. Videogame industry took notice and incorporated those new tools in their pipelines to similarly push the envelope (Realistic lighting and shadow bouncing rendered in real time in gigantic interactive environments that are not baked and pre-calculated in textures anymore. Performance capture etc.). It's a porous environment. (The greatest concept designers are familiar with both industries as they can swing back and forth from cinema to videogames so mutual influence is felt).

Avatar was like the monolith in 2001 for VFX artists and industry. So the impact is still there but not for the phillistines even if they bath in it without even realizing it.

(And people tend to forget that veteran ILM's VFX artist Jon Knoll and his bro created and developed from scratch what is now known as Photoshop just for Abyss purpose for the water tentacle sequence. Now every artists and their mothers have grinded their teeth on it to create their own stuff).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Games companies have been stealing Jim's visionary ideas for decades. See: Blizzard and Bungie as obvious examples. 

Halo and Starcraft for those who don't game, Jim directly responded to the Halo fans.

In what has to be slightly ridiculous news, James Cameron has approached the topic that has clearly been grinding his gears for some time. All those Internet fanboys that claim his latest billion dollar movie, Avatar, ripped off Halo in its visual style and motifs.

If you know anything about film you’ll know that’s all kinds of wrong but here’s Cameron’s own response to G4’s X-Play:

“The funniest thing is when some of the so-called fanboys get up trashing Avatar for looking too much like Halo, it’s like … pay attention. If I’m referencing anything, I’m referencing the source work for Halo, which is my own stuff,” explained Cameron.

“So I get to do that. Nobody else gets to do that, but I get to do that. My rule, anyway.”

Bungie have freely admitted that the Alien series, particularly Cameron’s own Aliens was heavily referenced in the Halo games. In fact when you start looking at any sci-fi shooter from the last 15 years it’s hard to find one that doesn’t make at least a passing nod to Cameron’s Xenomorph action flick.

Perhaps fanboys should do a little research before they start shooting thier mouths off. Having said that, how perfect would a James Cameron Halo film in 3D be? Just a thought Mr Cameron…

https://www.nowgamer.com/james-cameron-talks-halo-and-fanboys/

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Sounds like it requires new projectors.  I wonder how many theaters will be willing to upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see the tech specs, but it sounds like it's basically using the current tech used for BILLY LYNN. Maybe it's 120fps split across two "eyes" to provide 60fps non-glasses 3D. 

Regardless, BILLY LYNN was barely seen in its fully-realized form, so the "glasses free" version might end up being a premium option for a few chains like IMAX and Arclight and maybe some PLFs. But it's all guesswork right now, obviously.

38 minutes ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

I see Cameron is ripping off Nintendo now

If Cameron can pull that off....and make it economically feasible....he will have made a technical breakthrough again. That has been the holy grail for 3d ever since the 1950's   3D without the glasses, which have always been the drag on 3D becoming the standard.

Anybody else think BTW, that it would be one of the greatest gags in the history of film if Warners convinced Cameron to do a cameo in "Aquaman?'.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, vc2002 said:

If Avatar hits $2BN, perhaps studios will cut funding to superhero movies and start funding original Science Fiction films.

Oh wait they didn't

ANd would not sure it would matter unless Avatar 2 was a much better film in terms of character and story then Avatar was.

If this film does considerably less than Avatar (my feeling) - the reactions will be very funny

If this film does even more than Avatar - the reactions will be very funny

If this film is a hit but still kinda disappointing compared to Avatar (like just above 1 Billion) - the reactions will be very funny but not as funny as the other two possibilitys

Im cool with all that :P

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

If this film does considerably less than Avatar (my feeling) - the reactions will be very funny

If this film does even more than Avatar - the reactions will be very funny

If this film is a hit but still kinda disappointing compared to Avatar (like just above 1 Billion) - the reactions will be very funny but not as funny as the other two possibilitys

Im cool with all that :P

Confusing how you think there is a lower point than just above 1 billion.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Confusing how you think there is a lower point than just above 1 billion.

Count me as one of the people who dont care for Avatar. Besides, except for me, my whole family saw Avatar in the cinema, but have zero interest in possible sequels. I just dont feel any kind of excitement for these movies. But i would be foolish to think that Cameron coudnt produce another worldwide sensation.

I guess we can all discuss this more clearly with actual footage. Now its all just speculation.

James Cameron is incredible when it comes to developing new technology, but, frankly, he is up and down when it comes to the writing and directing departments.

"Avatar" was visually stunning, broke new ground in technology, but was never better then OK in the story and character department. In fact, at times it felt like Cameron was more interested in showing off his new technology then in the story and charecters.

That people just do not remember the charecters in Avatar like they do the characters in "Star Wars" or "LOTR" show that Cameron needs to improve in that department.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

^^ This is true for some people but certainly not all. I think Cameron's ability to sell a 10-ft tall Thundersmurf romance is under-appreciated. 

Yep. The story might've been cliche, but it was told masterfully. Cameron is a fantastic storyteller.

• Like 5