Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, DMan7 said:

What saga? It's only had 1 movie. :blink:

Were you around in '99 with LOTR? While they were still early in production on all three movies, New Line put out a super-tease for the whole trilogy that was a cross between a teaser and a BTS piece. 

That was just on the internet, then they did a regular tease for the whole trilogy before THIRTEEN DAYS and then finally FOTR got its own individual trailer later that year. 

FOX is basically in the same situation with their four sequels. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Were you around in '99 with LOTR? While they were still early in production on all three movies, New Line put out a super-tease for the whole trilogy that was a cross between a teaser and a BTS piece. 

That was just on the internet, then they did a regular tease for the whole trilogy before THIRTEEN DAYS and then finally FOTR got its own individual trailer later that year. 

FOX is basically in the same situation with their four sequels. 

I think that just annoys people when they read the 2020. "has that Avatar still not come out yet.. pff!"

Keep a low profile and let the fans see the hype. 2020 hits, teasers, trailers, tv interviews and all that good marketing stuff.

This post is not based on any facts or stats though, just how I feel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think that just annoys people when they read the 2020. "has that Avatar still not come out yet.. pff!"

Keep a low profile and let the fans see the hype. 2020 hits, teasers, trailers, tv interviews and all that good marketing stuff.

This post is not based on any facts or stats though, just how I feel.

If I were going to do it, I wouldn't put dates. I'd simply say "Coming Next Year" (lol)

I also wouldn't make any sort of announcement. I'd try to work out a deal with IMAX where it had a fake trailer name and would suddenly appear before -- say -- LAST JEDI in IMAX-3D. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/saga?s=t

"any very long story with dramatic events or parts"

Technically, any of the Avatar films individually is a saga...as well as the overall narrative of all the films.

Oh ok I naturally assumed more than 3 movies = saga but as far as the GA is concerned there has only been 1 Avatar movie with no connections to future films or a larger story than what was told in the 1st. 

Edited by DMan7

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I've been off this project for a while when it comes to the hype train...but fuck it.  It's a big budget sci-fi movie.  I'll support it.

When If Avatar 2 makes more than the first, perhaps studios will cut funding to superhero movies and start funding original Science Fiction films.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

When If Avatar 2 makes more than the first, perhaps studios will cut funding to superhero movies and start funding original Science Fiction films.

I definitely will not deny that :).

I want to see more films like Valerian, Alita, Ready Player One, Mortal Engines, etc.  I love sci-fi.  My favorite genre.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

I definitely will not deny that :).

I want to see more films like Valerian, Alita, Ready Player One, Mortal Engines, etc.  I love sci-fi.  My favorite genre.

Hope Rodrigues doesn't shit the bed with Alita! I read the manga it's good stuff, has real potential for a great film.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hmmm. Besides Avatar, what other original sci fi property in the last 30 years has reaped Star Wars-sized (or even MCU-sized) profits? I cannot name one.

I think once this REALLY happens we will see a gigantic marketing campaign. This film will be everywhere but Fox is in the same situation Disney was before TFA: If the first movie isnt well received, the sequels will get in trouble. Disney managed it near perfectly and im very interested how this movie will come across (assuming im not dead then cause old age). I never liked Avatar and i have zero interest in the film itself but watching the box office und reception of it will definetly be very entertaining.

1 hour ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Inception, gravity, martian, interstellar. All are from last 7 years.

Nothing make Star wars profit, but if we go for MCU profit, and if we go to the last 30 year's:

To those in that list we can add:

The Matrix was ridiculously profitable

Independence Day

*Men in black (kind isssh, I think it is an adaptation of a BD)

Armageddon

Signs

*I am legend

Total recall

*Jurassic Park

I robot

Wall-e

Distric 9

The Martian and the movie with * are maybe not really original (book adaptation, but that was not really the reason of their success) I could forget some that are adaptation in that list too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Nothing make Star wars profit, but if we go for MCU profit, and if we go to the last 30 year's:

Independence Day

Armageddon

Signs

*I am legend

Total recall

*Jurassic Park

I robot

Wall-e

Distric 9

The Martian and the movie with * are maybe not really original (book adaptation, but that was not really the reason of their success) I could forget some that are adaptation in that list too.

Also while not original, the Transformers movie also!

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Independence Day

Armageddon

Signs

*I am legend

Total recall

*Jurassic Park

I robot

Wall-e

Distric 9

And we are talking only about originals. If we add sequels and all, and loosen the definition of sci-fi, we can reach 20. Mcu + dceu.:D

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

If Avatar hits $2BN, perhaps studios will cut funding to superhero movies and start funding original Science Fiction films.

Oh wait they didn't

7 hours ago, vc2002 said:

If Avatar hits $2BN, perhaps studios will cut funding to superhero movies and start funding original Science Fiction films.

Oh wait they didn't

Hmm $2b not enough?
FXv9fceoUpuCYN8AAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

Let's try $15b over 4 films.

• Like 3