Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

18 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My top 100 list was rejected by the forum, adding further credence to my belief that the forum is both anti-Avatar and anti-Box Office. 

Orwell would be proud. 

If so, are you gonna lead the resistance in BOT and fight the authoritative rule and spread the gospel of Avatar ? Just like what the 12 disciples did for Christianity. 

But, be careful, BIG BROTHER is watching you.  

1 hour ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

If so, are you gonna lead the resistance in BOT and fight the authoritative rule and spread the gospel of Avatar ? Just like what the 12 disciples did for Christianity. 

But, be careful, BIG BROTHER is watching you.  

James Cameron = JC = Jesus Christ

Interesting to note Avatar's CGI was done by both ILM and Weta with Weta doing the 40 minute battle sequence. The quality of the CGI throughout the film ranges from good to immaculate, time constraints didn't allow for all scenes to be immaculate. War paint Neytiri was unreal for 2009.

6a0120a6b2c140970c0133ee252135970b-pi

latest?cb=20100726222115

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Interesting to note Avatar's CGI was done by both ILM and Weta with Weta doing the 40 minute battle sequence. The quality of the CGI throughout the film ranges from good to immaculate, time constraints didn't allow for all scenes to be immaculate. War paint Neytiri was unreal for 2009.

latest?cb=20100726222115

I often forget different teams did the CGI for different sections, I'd love to see a version where it highlighted who did what shots.

49 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

latest?cb=20100726222115

Nah.

It was immaculate.

When you see Wonder Woman's and Black Panther's messy, wonky CGI (in 2017/2018) you then realize how amazing Avatar's 2009 work was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

latest?cb=20100726222115

For me immaculate. I'll go with @StevenG as he said. Wonder woman's messy CGI and You must have watched IW. A movie which costed 400 Million dollars. Wasn't even near what Avatar did. 
I remember one student in our class back in 6th grade. He was too dull and can't even write properly, our math teacher use to say I'll make him perfect and everyone will witness and he DID it. 

Same thing for JC. He did what other only can dream.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lothar said:

For me immaculate. I'll go with @StevenG as he said. Wonder woman's messy CGI and You must have watched IW. A movie which costed 400 Million dollars. Wasn't even near what Avatar did. 
I remember one student in our class back in 6th grade. He was too dull and can't even write properly, our math teacher use to say I'll make him perfect and everyone will witness and he DID it. 

Same thing for JC. He did what other only can dream.  

Jim said it himself that some scenes CGI weren't as good as they could have been because there are so many shots in the movie.

The language I used was incorrect, the spectrum of CGI in Avatar is incredible to flawless.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2018 at 1:16 PM, IronJimbo said:

latest?cb=20100726222115

It s the other way around, ILM did the huge final battle sequence because Weta was just not big enough to tackle a poject of this scale with that time frame.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It s the other way around, ILM did the huge final battle sequence because Weta was just not big enough to tackle a poject of this scale with that time frame.

I was just going by the Capturing Avatar making of, I must be misremembering!

EDIT: Yeah you're right

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the VFX for Avatar:

The lead visual effects company was Weta Digital in Wellington, New Zealand, at one point employing 900 people to work on the film. Because of the huge amount of data which needed to be stored, cataloged and available for everybody involved, even on the other side of the world, a new cloud computing and Digital Asset Management (DAM) system named Gaia was created by Microsoft especially for Avatar, which allowed the crews to keep track of and coordinate all stages in the digital processing. To render Avatar, Weta used a 10,000 sq ft (930 m2) server farm making use of 4,000 Hewlett-Packard servers with 35,000 processor cores with 104 terabytes of RAM and three petabytes of network area storage running Ubuntu Linux, Grid Engine cluster manager, and 2 of the animation software and managers, Pixar's Renderman and Pixar's Alfred queue management system. The render farm occupies the 193rd to 197th spots in the TOP500 list of the world's most powerful supercomputers. A new texturing and paint software system, called Mari, was developed by The Foundry in cooperation with Weta. Creating the Na'vi characters and the virtual world of Pandora required over a petabyte of digital storage, and each minute of the final footage for Avatar occupies 17.28 gigabytes of storage. To help finish preparing the special effects sequences on time, a number of other companies were brought on board, including Industrial Light & Magic, which worked alongside Weta Digital to create the battle sequences. ILM was responsible for the visual effects for many of the film's specialized vehicles and devised a new way to make CGI explosions. Joe Letteri was the film's visual effects general supervisor.

Edited by IronJimbo

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I was just going by the Capturing Avatar making of, I must be misremembering!

I studied Avatar a lot too.

There are other VFX companies who worked on the film, Tim Miller (Deadpool, Terminator 6) s VFX house worked on Avatar.

On the Avatar Blu Ray, there is a VFX showreel for every VFX company that worked on the film.

James Cameron visited Weta Digital to shake hands and thank every artist that worked on his film.

Just now, The Futurist said:

I studied Avatar a lot too.

There are other VFX companies who worked on the film, Tim Miller (Deadpool, Terminator 6) s VFX house worked on Avatar.

On the Avatar Blu Ray, there is a VFX showreel for every VFX company that worked on the film.

James Cameron visited Weta Digital to shake hands and thank every artist that worked on his film.

yeah Tim's boys did the space sequences I remember that.