Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

If you have an hour to spare have a listen to this - 

The parallels between what he discusses re: Gaia's role and that of Eywa is astonishing. There are even moments where one could easily swap out the terms and it be a perfect description of Eywa. 

With the knowledge that Eywa will play an even larger role in the sequels I think that topics such as the above will become even more salient. 

I am also still of the mind that we may get some interesting back story around the Na'vi as not a tribal society, but a post-tech society (although I do admit that this is very unlikely to happen). 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The parallels between what he discusses re: Gaia's role and that of Eywa is astonishing. There are even moments where one could easily swap out the terms and it be a perfect description of Eywa. 

With the knowledge that Eywa will play an even larger role in the sequels I think that topics such as the above will become even more salient. 

I am also still of the mind that we may get some interesting back story around the Na'vi as not a tribal society, but a post-tech society (although I do admit that this is very unlikely to happen). 

I'm hoping you're right regarding Eywa. I love the Genius Loci trope (where a character is a settIng like a planet) https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GeniusLoci, so I'd love to see Eywa explored more. 

I wonder if she'll be given a voice later, and if it will be her own voice or more like speaking through the voices of the spirits. If Eywa got her own voice, who would you want to play her?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

I'm hoping you're right regarding Eywa. I love the Genius Loci trope (where a character is a settIng like a planet) https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GeniusLoci, so I'd love to see Eywa explored more. 

I wonder if she'll be given a voice later, and if it will be her own voice or more like speaking through the voices of the spirits. If Eywa got her own voice, who would you want to play her?

I like that the spirtual presence of Pandora will be explored more. Also where did grace go, does she come back as a spiritual being??

Hmm. I thought of these voice actors . Angela Bassett, Whoopi Goldberg,  Susan eisenberg( most popular voice of Wonder Woman), Sharon Stone.

I think Whoopi did a good job as the earth spirit Gaea in Captain Planet.😁 Anyone rem that one.

Edited by Sheldon Cr

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cr said:

I like that the spirtual presence of Pandora will be explored more. Also where did grace go, does she come back as a spiritual being??

Hmm. I thought of these voice actors . Angela Bassett, Whoopi Goldberg,  Susan eisenberg( most popular voice of Wonder Woman), Sharon Stone.

I think Whoopi did a good job as the earth spirit Gaea in Captain Planet.😁 Anyone rem that one.

Oh I can absolutely see Angela Basset doing the voice, especially hearing her in the Transformers film Bumblebee.  

I didn't know Whoopi voiced Gaia in that, nice! I do love her as an actress but she does have a very distinct voice and I've seen her in a lot of movies (Lion King, Sister Act, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, etc.) so it would be hard for me to unhear her and connect more with Eywa as a character.

Whoever they pick though assuming Eywa gets a voice, I'm sure she'll do great!

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I can see that "cultural relevancy" expanding already via merchandising/licensing opportunities!

Oh yeah Nc ...its just beginning

😁😉

"Everything Changed!"

"We will send them the message!"  

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

Oh I can absolutely see Angela Basset doing the voice, especially hearing her in the Transformers film Bumblebee.  

I didn't know Whoopi voiced Gaia in that, nice! I do love her as an actress but she does have a very distinct voice and I've seen her in a lot of movies (Lion King, Sister Act, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, etc.) so it would be hard for me to unhear her and connect more with Eywa as a character.

Hey frozen unicorn yes indeed. I also think superman's lois Margot kidder voiced.some episodes, but Whoopi definitely was the voice the fans remembered.

I trust Jc and his team on if she gets a voice will cast a memorable actress in the.role.

Lol hearing there will be Avatar2 slot machines is very very crazy and cool on avatar leaving a mega culture stamp everywhere as Titanic did in 1997.

--Theres a James Cameron mega BO event and then there is everyone else.😎.

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wouldn't be completely surprised by that, the environmentalism and be "in touch with nature" messages can be even more effective that way.

1 hour ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

I love how this is being discussed as a reality, hope that it happens.

Do we know if Eywa is supposed to be feminine? I don't remember if they referred to Eywa with any pronouns or not. 

34 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Wouldn't be completely surprised by that, the environmentalism and be "in touch with nature" messages can be even more effective that way.

Do we know if Eywa is supposed to be feminine? I don't remember if they referred to Eywa with any pronouns or not. 

I think Grace will be voice of Eywa fo sho

5 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

I could see her coming back in some way to speak for Eywa, in any case, there's going to be major spirituality stuff coming up! We're going to be left wondering whether to classify this as a Sci-fi or a Fantasy franchise :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Eywa is referred to as a goddess or the Great Mother. Grace's last words were even "I am with her, Jake. She is real."

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hydrogen said:

I thought the same, but I think Jc will go for a seperate entity for Eywa and cast another actress as the.voice. Heck he maynot reveal Eywa until movie 3 or 4....Exciting times 

I maintain 2020 is a better date, good day arrangement and pathetically weak slate. 

It doesn't really matter though, if the film is meant to be a phenomenon, it will be, regardless of possible advantages or disadvantages of 2021. Moaning about exchange rate is pointless, and not something we have a habit of doing.

• Like 4