Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Well first off, yeah claiming people who can't see the difference between Avatar 1&2 have bad vision was in poor taste for sure. Sorry for that.

With box office though, there's nothing insane about the 4 billies I'm claming. It's really rational from my point of view. If you go back to just before Avatar or Titanic was released, how do you think $1.8b or $2.78b would have looked back then? When Avatar was released the highest grossing non-Jim film was ROTK with $1.14b, Avatar came in and with a HOT 2.8 billies. No one saw it coming.

The thing about Avatar 2 is, it's going to capture the exact same thing that made Avatar so popular. Why wouldn't it. I would argue an easy 4 billies is far far less 'insane' than predicting $2.78b for Avatar on the 1st of Dec 2009.

Thank you for the apology that meant a lot. We may disagree on this until the end of time. But I'm willing to extend an olive branch to you online

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ill say this: I would love to see this breaking out in the same manner as the first one did. Not only because such Box office runs are amazing to follow, but also because that is exactly what theaters would want and need.

Ironically despite the tension between Jim and comicbook fandoms (due to his comments and box office results), Jim himself is a superhero. He's going to save cinema... and who knows what else? Maybe the planet with his enviromentalist themes in the films... I mean the first film actually did actually do some measurable good for the enviroment

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Ironically despite the tension between Jim and comicbook fandoms (due to his comments and box office results), Jim himself is a superhero. He's going to save cinema... and who knows what else? Maybe the planet with his enviromentalist themes in the films... I mean the first film actually did actually do some measurable good for the enviroment

???? Ok I think there's a point when blind stanning goes a bit too far lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ban1o said:

???? Ok I think there's a point when blind stanning goes a bit too far lol 

I absolutely love that we're now at the point where Jim saving cinema isn't considered going too far. lol

• Haha 1

Ironically despite the tension between Jim superhero fandoms, Jim himself is a superhero. He's going to save cinema... and who knows what else? Maybe the planet with his enviromentalist themes in the films... I mean the first film actually did actually do some measurable good for the enviroment

Hmm.... I feel like younger people would want action on the environment. Not to say that films like this are not needed. But there are larger issues at play and would probably be a great idea if JC donated a large amount to organizations and individuals who are at the forefront of the cause then just the movie itself

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The thing about Avatar 2 is, it's going to capture the exact same thing that made Avatar so popular. Why wouldn't it. I would argue an easy 4 billies is far far less 'insane' than predicting $2.78b for Avatar on the 1st of Dec 2009.

Which is what exactly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

Hmm.... I feel like younger people would want action on the environment. Not to say that films like this are not needed. But there are larger issues at play and would probably be a great idea if JC donated a large amount to organizations and individuals who are at the forefront of the cause then just the movie itself

while I am joking about him saving the planet, I think the Avatar saga will definitely have a postive impact on the enviroment by spreading awareness and also encouraging people to take action. The reason being the first film already has examples of this.

while I am joking about him saving the planet, I think the Avatar saga will definitely have a postive impact on the enviroment by spreading awareness and also encouraging people to take action. The reason being the first film already has examples of this.

I'm interested can you send me some of them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Which is what exactly?

So let me first define what I think was "the exact same thing that made Avatar so popular".

The film having immersion and worldbuilding to the point you feel like you're actually 4.8 lightyears away.

Reasons being I believe this will be captured again.

1) I've seen the trailer in IMAX 3D, enough said

2) Trust in James Cameron as a director

3) The countless articles I've read about it, including the new technologies, cast opinions on the film,

4) The amount of time & money & talent in the production. Lightstorm has been headhunting top talent from VFX companies for the last 5 years.

5) Brought to us by the same team that made Avatar, it's pretty obvious really. They should be able to capture the core feeling of the first film

Why wouldn't it be able to capture the same feeling of the first film?

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I'm interested can you send me some of them

stopping deforrestation in the amazon rainforrest comes to mind first as clips from it are in the Avatar collectors edition blu-ray.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/18/avatar-james-cameron-brazil-dam

uhhh theres more but I forget and hard to find

So let me first define what I think was "the exact same thing that made Avatar so popular".

The film having immersion and worldbuilding to the point you feel like you're actually 4.8 lightyears away.

Reasons being I believe this will be captured again.

1) I've seen the trailer in IMAX 3D, enough said

2) Trust in James Cameron as a director

3) The countless articles I've read about it, including the new technologies, cast opinions on the film,

4) The amount of time & money & talent in the production. Lightstorm has been headhunting top talent from VFX companies for the last 5 years.

5) Brought to us by the same team that made Avatar, it's pretty obvious really. They should be able to capture the core feeling of the first film

Let me start off by saying other than avatar I like cameron's film work. I think he's a great director. However he hasn't directed a film in 13 years and makes me feel he might be a bit rusty considering the scope and the budget. Even in the 12 year gap between Titanic and Avatar he did documentaries.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

stopping deforrestation in the amazon rainforrest comes to mind first as clips from it are in the Avatar collectors edition blu-ray.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/18/avatar-james-cameron-brazil-dam

uhhh theres more but I forget and hard to find

Oh this hurts as all the work he did was undone quickly by the President of brazil

3 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Let me start off by saying other than avatar I like cameron's film work. I think he's a great director. However he hasn't directed a film in 13 years and makes me feel he might be a bit rusty considering the scope and the budget. Even in the 12 year gap between Titanic and Avatar he did documentaries.

Fair point, that is something we can't fully know until A2.

He has been involved in documentries since.

Then also not directing but he lead a team of scientists and engineers to build a deep-sea diving sumbraine and piloted it himself to deepest point in the ocean. Basically directing an expidition lol. Then made a documentry about that too

• Like 1

Unironically, i do think Avatar themes is very relevant. It was in 2009, but now that we're so into global warning it feels even more relevant. 

I think the first one have a very cool treatment of the nature and it's importance to balance, but it's a side plot because well, he have an entire universe to introduce in that movie. 

Now that this is done i think the plot of the sequels can go way further in these environment discussions, especially since the teaser is showing a very big presence of humans working on the planet, there's room to discuss a lot.

Every succesful movie is an example of it's time, i think Avatar franchise can easily be one example of our struggles on Earth if it goes this route (and i suspect it will), which is relatable. Of course the movies won't be just about this, but it can contain these multitudes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Here's an even better version of the trailer, since Vimeo has barely any compression 
EDIT: Vimeo also has it on IMAX ratio

OK. this is just beyond anything ever holy shit! They should turn eevry cinema in the world into IMAX cause this is wowwowowowowwowowow! When are tickets going on sale so that I can book the whole IMAX row for fam?

P.S. this gonna have a ridiculusly cute Na'vi baby, isn't it? Avatar's baby Groot/baby Yoda.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1