Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 6/16/2022 at 4:05 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Don't start this physical media trash Jimbo. You're better than that. This is a box office theory forum remember. Start talking about this stuff and may as well start talking about Pokemon. 

I am fine discussing Pokémon 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

will we be getting LGBTQ+ representation in these movies or is China more important

China is important but that's not the reason there won't be LGBTQ+ representation. 

I don't think there was ever the idea of having LGBTQ representation in these movies. 

There's no need of having it in every single projects. Some will, some won't. 

Honest or not, Disney is already doing way more than any studio and they will have a movie led by a gay character (Strange World). 

13 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

There's no need of having it in every single projects.

Yes there is. It's an objective fact that everything is better when you add gayness to it. Make everything gay. Every single all the things.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Keep in mind that this movie started filming back in 2017. I doubt there were any considerations at that point about including LGBT themes in the movie. 

Having LGBT characters doesn't mean it has to be Moonlight or anything.  I don't know what the population is of Na'vi on Pandora(need one of the experts), but there's def some gay Na'vi out there!  If that's even a thing!  Again we need the Na'vi experts to tell us, but it's kind of crazy to assume an alien race lightyears away would have the same hang-ups about sexuality that we do.  Especially when most of ours comes from religion. 

Right?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Having LGBT characters doesn't mean it has to be Moonlight or anything.  I don't know what the population is of Na'vi on Pandora(need one of the experts), but there's def some gay Na'vi out there!  If that's even a thing!  Again we need the Na'vi experts to tell us, but it's kind of crazy to assume an alien race lightyears away would have the same hang-ups about sexuality that we do.  Especially when most of ours comes from religion. 

Right?

Yes same sex na'vi relationship exists in the lore

However this doesn't mean it will appear in the films, and I don't believe it will.

Jim is trying to get a global message to the world about the enviroment, he believes the world is on the path to destruction and the sequels are his chance to get this message across. I'm sorry to say but same-sex couple between named characters would just hurt the film internationally. This will never get said publically obviously but acceptance of same-sex relationships doesn't matter if we're all goddamn dead. This is the guy who declines invitations to space science panels as he believed that we shouldn't be putting our resoucces and best minds into space efforts, and should be focusing on saving he planet.

These are my thoughts, but as I said. It exists in the lore so it could happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This is the guy who declines invitations to space science panels as he believed that we shouldn't be putting our resoucces and best minds into space efforts, and should be focusing on saving he planet.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure he is very much into space exploration and a quick google search will give you plenty results.

Just now, Elessar said:

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure he is very much into space exploration and a quick google search will give you plenty results.

Yes he used to, thats why he was being invited in the first place. He used to be a Nasa advisor. Outside of filmmaking he only does enviromental endeavours now.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes he used to, thats why he was being invited in the first place. He used to be a Nasa advisor. Outside of filmmaking he only does enviromental endeavours now.

Sure, the bulk of his endeavours outside of filmmaking might be related to environmental protection in recent years but i can't remember him ever saying humanity should basically put a stop to space exploration.

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

However this doesn't mean it will appear in the films, and I don't believe it will.

Jim is trying to get a global message to the world about the enviroment, he believes the world is on the path to destruction and the sequels are his chance to get this message across. 

Nothing says the clock is ticking like, "I'm gonna take 13 years making this movie with an environmental message."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Sure, the bulk of his endeavours outside of filmmaking might be related to environmental protection in recent years but i can't remember him ever saying humanity should basically put a stop to space exploration.

ye well he never said that. He did say he thinks HIS efforts should not be devoted to that sector. And has been declining to attend events to do with space exploration

Edited by IronJimbo

7 hours ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Yes there is. It's an objective fact that everything is better when you add gayness to it. Make everything gay. Every single all the things.

This is the entire reason Titanic only gets 99/100 from me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it needed a big Irish bear to really be perfect.

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Correct. They also have an analogy to two-spirit people - it's the reason why they're not totally afraid of Jake and the Avatar's in the first place. They're familiar with the concept of one's brain being different from one's body (to the extent Eywa has done so in the past anyway).

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

If you're really interested in this check out his work with the Plymouth Marine Labs and OceanX (for current projects he's working on). Jimbo is correct, he basically said that he's glad NASA etc. are still pushing for that tier of exploration but that we need a greater focus and push on saving the environment we do have. The work he has done with Barry Didato, Ray Dalio, and a host of others over the past decade+ is in the order of billions of USD in R&D and policy work for environmental causes.

7 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

You understand I was pointing out the irony of what you said right?  Not talking about the quality of the movie!

Yeah I did understand what you meant. I could have pointed out that he hasn't spent 13yrs making Avatar sequels and he's actually spent most of that time working on enviromental projects outside of filmmaking but I thought you were just making a joke

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Yeah I did understand what you meant. I could have pointed out that he hasn't spent 13yrs making Avatar sequels and he's actually spent most of that time working on enviromental projects outside of filmmaking but I thought you were just making a joke

A lot of people find his interdisciplinary mastery difficult to grasp. They usually have one job, focus on one thing. Whereas with people like Jim, who is ostensibly a polymath, and near-Billionaire, he has both the time, and intelligence to dedicate himself to multiple things.

It's why you'll see a lot of people making that error in thinking he has spent the last 13 years making these movies, when he spent 2 of the 3 years immediately after '09 on the challenger deep expedition. The fact that even that level of understanding that someone could do that many different things escapes people shows you the size of the gulf between Cameron and his detractors.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1