Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

A person working at this theater just came out before the movie has started to remind everyone that this is the *first* Avatar. Saw three people leaving the screening after that lmao.

Funnily enough I saw a few walkouts in my showing just now with a one of them loudly saying to their friend “this is just the first film!”…

Anyway, I saw the IMAX 3D version on a dual laser projector and it was the HFR version, so all that talk of IMAX only being able to show it on single laser projectors is definitely false. It looked stunning though, the HFR worked here a lot better than it did on The Hobbit, the Thanator scene early on looked very good and was pretty seamless. There was only one occasion where it looked a bit odd to me and that’s when Neytiri is riding the Thanator toward Quarritch near the end which definitely had an oddly fast forwarded look to it, but other than that it all looked great. I’d forgotten just how good this film sounded too, the way the explosions reverberate through the auditorium in the Hometree sequence is very well done.

As for the post credits scene, I got the whale, and yeah, it looked incredible visually. The HFR switching was more noticeable there though as it seemed like the majority of the HFR stuff was underwater, but I’d imagine you get used to it. Roll on December!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Agafin said:

So according to Deadline, the average ticket price of the re-release was $15.5! The actual movie (TWoW) will probably not be as expensive (since the 3D share will presumably be lower) but that's still insane. At that ATP, Avatar 2 could lose a third of its viewers and still earn the same as the original.

Part of the reason why I think a domestic gross lower than the original first run is quite unlikely. 

so trailer with bp2?

theres new york comic-con from october 6-9, and I know the original showed a lot at SDCC, but this one didnt so I doubt theyll premiere it there

how did TFA do it?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Not that keen on how the HFR is sounding. IMO it should be full HFR, or none at all. This switching between framerates sounds like it will be pretty jarring.

I have visions in my head of older videogames that used double buffered vsync, and would swap between 30fps and 60fps as the gpu got maxed out.

Kind of hoping my cinema just has the standard 24fps when WOTW releases lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

HFR switching was pretty janky imo. Did not seem to be object based either. The bits in HFR in the new scene looked wonderful tho.

To me it definitely seemed like there were parts that were object based for the hfr, but I couldn't tell if that was just the way I looked at the image 😅. I'll say this though, trying to figure out if a scene was or not, or if it was going to be definitely took me out of the experience slightly. 

If not even JC can handle HFR well, I think that is it for HFR prospect in cinema. DId JC disclose how many % of the movie will be in 48fps?

Eitherway, the number of the screen with HFR capability will be very limited. So most moviegoers will still see in the movie in 24fps.  

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

If not even JC can handle HFR well, I think that is it for HFR prospect in cinema. DId JC disclose how many % of the movie will be in 48fps?

Eitherway, the number of the screen with HFR capability will be very limited. So most moviegoers will still see in the movie in 24fps.  

There's a difference between retrofitting an existing movie for HFR and making one with it in mind. The HFR footage in the preview for Way of Water looks far better than anything during the first film. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

so trailer with bp2?

theres new york comic-con from october 6-9, and I know the original showed a lot at SDCC, but this one didnt so I doubt theyll premiere it there

how did TFA do it?

TFA released its final trailer (and actually its only full trailer, since the first two were teasers) on October 19 during Monday Night Football

Cameron on HFR (3 years ago):

"I have a personal philosophy around high frame rate, which is that it is a specific solution to specific problems having to do with 3D,” Cameron said. “And when you get the strobing and the jutter of certain shots that pan or certain lateral movement across frame, it’s distracting in 3D. And to me, [high frame rate is] just a solution for those shots. I don’t think it’s a format. That’s just me personally. I know Ang sees it that way. I don’t think it’s like the next 70 millimetres or the next big thing. I think it’s a tool to be used to solve problems in 3D projection."

"Well, this is the thing. The more mundane the subject, two people talking in the kitchen, the worse it works, because you feel like you’re in a set of a kitchen with actors in make up,” Cameron told Collider. “That’s how real it is, you know? But I think when you’ve got extraordinary subjects that are being shot for real, or even through CG, that hyper-reality actually works in your favour. So to me, it’s a wand that you wave in certain moments and use when you need it. It’s an authoring tool."

I think this is the right approach. I would add that changes in framerates from scene to scene is nothing new and whether that works for you or not is kind of subjective. For example you can see it happen a few times in Gladiator where the framerate goes lower than 24 fps to create a dramatic effect, or in Cameron's own T2. If we can handle a lower framerate in some scenes, I don't see why switching to a higher framerate then going back down would be a problem if handled correctly.

In the end it all comes down to the eye of the filmmaker

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Cameron on HFR (3 years ago):

I think this is the right approach. I would add that changes in framerates from scene to scene is nothing new and whether that works for you or not is kind of subjective. For example you can see it happen a few times in Gladiator where the framerate goes lower than 24 fps to create a dramatic effect, or in Cameron's own T2. If we can handle a lower framerate in some scenes, I don't see why switching to a higher framerate then going back down would be a problem if handled correctly.

In the end it all comes down to the eye of the filmmaker

Frame rate switches were historically used for changing the speed of motion. They didn't switch when everything was moving in the same rate of motion. And more than anything, I thought the moments where the frame rate switches were done in here felt random. But I'm fine with it, Avatar wasn't really designed for HFR.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

3D IS dead for the average blockbuster. Obviously this isn't the average blockbuster though. 

I'm hoping audiences make the connection AVATAR 3D = GOOD, other film 3D = BAD.

Otherwise they're going to fall for the same scummy tactics they fell for in 2010-2013. Post-processing 3D, gross