Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Close to 30m views on main channel after full 3 days, on par with full trailer of TGM and JWD at their point of release I believe.  

Yet TGM did nearly half a billion more than JWD.. views don’t mean different people. It depends on the movie.. if avatar is going to have a chance at beating TGM it needs to make audiences want to see it again and again. 

2 hours ago, VENOM said:

Yet TGM did nearly half a billion more than JWD.. views don’t mean different people. It depends on the movie.. if avatar is going to have a chance at beating TGM it needs to make audiences want to see it again and again. 

I am sure it will be a better experience than dominion, so legs will be much better than that.

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

My prediction varies with quality. 

Poorly received or B CS: $125m with 3.5x-4x legs.

Decently received or B+, A- CS: $150m with 5.5x-6x legs.

Well adored or A or even A+: $170m with 6.5x legs or over $1bn.  

sounds like you're in the billie club, the chances of this being an A- are so so low

11 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

My prediction varies with quality. 

Poorly received or B CS: $125m with 3.5x-4x legs.

Decently received or B+, A- CS: $150m with 5.5x-6x legs.

Well adored or A or even A+: $170m with 6.5x legs or over $1bn.  

The reviews/authentic word of mouth could sink or make this movie soar, similar to Top Gun Maverick $126.7 (3-day) opening on Memorial Day (4-day) was $160.5. 

I think 20th/Lightstorm would be very happy with Domestic of $700 million with a 35/65 split with International = a W/W gross of $2B + China.  

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

sounds like you're in the billie club, the chances of this being an A- are so so low

IMO the domestic market is ready for the first billion-dollar grosser. All A2 need is the sensational word of mouth to hit the finish line. A2 not only having the least packed December schedule in a decade, but also facing the least number of big profiles tentpoles in the entire second half since don't know what year. All these just make A2 even more standout event than in a normal circumstance. JC better utilise this golden opportunity to breed first $1bn grosser.       

4 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

The reviews/authentic word of mouth could sink or make this movie soar, similar to Top Gun Maverick $126.7 (3-day) opening on Memorial Day (4-day) was $160.5. 

I think 20th/Lightstorm would be very happy with Domestic of $700 million with a 35/65 split with International = a W/W gross of $2B + China.  

I would consider anything less than NWH a disappointment. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

IMO the domestic market is ready for the first billion-dollar grosser. All A2 need is the sensational word of mouth to hit the finish line. A2 not only having the least packed December schedule in a decade, but also facing the least number of big profiles tentpoles in the entire second half since don't know what year. All these just make A2 even more standout event than in a normal circumstance. JC better utilise this golden opportunity to breed first $1bn grosser.       

I would consider anything less than NWH a disappointment. 

Agreed, except maybe december 2019, this is the best December ever to make big money domestically ever.

Regardless of what people here say I still think NWH getting $800m really shows just how strong domestic cinema can be right now.

According to this source — and I'm not sure how reliable it is — Avatar 2 has passed censorship in China, which is one of the prerequisites for getting a release. Doesn't guarantee it, of couse, as we've seen many times over the past year.

https://www.rfa.org/mandarin/yataibaodao/meiti/gt1-11072022000850.html

"Film industry insiders told this station that the Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar 2" has just passed the review of China's State Film Administration, but the film has not yet obtained a public performance license."

"According to the website of the State Electric Power Administration of the Central Propaganda Department, a film must obtain a project registration number, a public screening license, and film censorship from filming to release, and foreign films must undergo more censorship."

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1