Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

19 minutes ago, hw64 said:

According to this source — and I'm not sure how reliable it is — Avatar 2 has passed censorship in China, which is one of the prerequisites for getting a release. Doesn't guarantee it, of couse, as we've seen many times over the past year.

https://www.rfa.org/mandarin/yataibaodao/meiti/gt1-11072022000850.html

"Film industry insiders told this station that the Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar 2" has just passed the review of China's State Film Administration, but the film has not yet obtained a public performance license."

"According to the website of the State Electric Power Administration of the Central Propaganda Department, a film must obtain a project registration number, a public screening license, and film censorship from filming to release, and foreign films must undergo more censorship."

Hollywood’s already cut off Russia. At this point, they might as well get ready to go their separate ways with China as well. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

anything less than no way home is flop

With how bad the exchange rate are, lack of Russia and the uncertain situation with China (even if released it won't reach its potential there). My threshold for "flop" has gotten a lot softer as well.

This is where I currently stand:

Under NWH worldwide - Massive disappointment 😆

Under $1.5B Worldwide - Total Flop 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s funny to say but thanks mostly to this thread and reading years of @IronJimbo and JCS calling for $4-5B; I will be pretty disappointed with anything below Avatar 1. I mean, if it was going to do $4-5B under 2019 conditions then it should still be able to do $2.9B even without China/Russia in todays market…. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

It’s funny to say but thanks mostly to this thread and reading years of @IronJimbo and JCS calling for $4-5B; I will be pretty disappointed with anything below Avatar 1. I mean, if it was going to do $4-5B under 2019 conditions then it should still be able to do $2.9B even without China/Russia in todays market…. 🤷‍♂️

I mean... this is the sequel to the highest grossing film ever, made by the king of blockbusters and sequels himself James 'Iron Jim' Cameron.

Its a JIMBO BOMB for sure. with 600m Budget including marketing, possible china ban and no Russia release, Dollar being crazy strong and Europe going through crisis, economic headwinds almost everywhere,  its in trouble. 

As long its received well and has good legs(> 4x domestic) everywhere, Avatar 3/4 will hopefully help recover some of the mojo. 

I hope he makes a great movie. Disney can afford the write off :-)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$1B

Am fairly confident in $2B WW, prediction being $2.3-2.5B without China and Russia as of now.

That is crazy high in this current market. I am happy with 1B OS plus 600m+ domestic. We will know once presales start about how much hype the movie will have though without huge fanbase how would opening day presales go. Its not beating NWH in presales for sure. 

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I mean... this is the sequel to the highest grossing film ever, made by the king of blockbusters and sequels himself James 'Iron Jim' Cameron.

4 times the highest grossing film ever got sequels... THE GODFATHER, PART II, JAWS 2, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and THE LOST WORLD.

0% of them out-grossed the original.

• Like 1