Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

18 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

That’s such a weird way to open the film though, it doesn’t really endear you to Jake, he just seems arrogant, overly cocky and bitter. I know there’s elements of that in the theatrical version, but the tone of the alternate opening feels at odds with the rest of the film (especially the random domestic abuse). More than anything though, it doesn’t add anything that we don’t learn within the next 5 minutes anyway. I much prefer the space opening.

Agree

• Like 1

I was listening to two of our office employees yesterday talking about the new Avatar movie coming out. One insisted this was the 3rd one, but then couldn't remember the plot of 2.  Neither could remember the plot of the original movie to come up with what part 2 could have been. It was interesting to listen to, as someone who kind of follows movies.  The general audience really just isn't into this stuff. Guess that's why we are here!

Looking at our local big mall theater, this seems to be selling well, if not great. Dolby and Imax are, of course, the preferred choice. There are decent seats available for those for opening night, though (on the edges, but not down in the first row or anything), and definitely for Friday night. I plan to see it on our upcoming Disney cruise if they are showing it.  I'm not paying extra money to see it, that's for sure. 3 hours of the blue people I didn't care about the first time around is not my idea of a good use of funds this holiday season, but I'm a grinch about this whole Avatar movies 4 life plan.

Another good trailer, although again feels more like an extended teaser than an actual full trailer that explains the basic plot.

Also from what i understand, both main trailers have centred mostly on the Jake, Neytiri, and kids moving to the new sea tribe, which from what i understand is the first half of the movie.

If true that probably explains why we havent had much shots of the humans yet, as i'm sure they will have a much bigger part in the second half of the movie.

52 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

That’s such a weird way to open the film though, it doesn’t really endear you to Jake, he just seems arrogant, overly cocky and bitter. I know there’s elements of that in the theatrical version, but the tone of the alternate opening feels at odds with the rest of the film (especially the random domestic abuse). More than anything though, it doesn’t add anything that we don’t learn within the next 5 minutes anyway. I much prefer the space opening.

I like the alternate opening with it's dystopian/Blade Runner vibe, Jake is exactly as you described him and that's part of his character arc, in both versions he's a cocky pain in the ass until he finds himself alone in the Pandoran forest, he loses that cockiness in a hurry and the transformation begins. My preferred version of the movie is the extended (16 min), the story is a bit more fleshed out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

I like the alternate opening with it's dystopian/Blade Runner vibe, Jake is exactly as you described him and that's part of his character arc, in both versions he's a cocky pain in the ass until he finds himself alone in the Pandoran forest, he loses that cockiness in a hurry and the transformation begins. My preferred version of the movie is the extended (16 min), the story is a bit more fleshed out. 

My guess is. We will see a similar scene (on Earth) at the beginning of a2. I mean we saw a avatar inspired mercedes. This could belong to a CEO of the RDA on earth. After he knew what happenend at pandora he will contact quaritch and selfridge and tell them to get their shit together and fight the navi at all cost. It takes 4.2years for the RDA on earth to get the message that the navi attacked their bases and kicked their ass. And it will take another 4.2years for quaritch/selfridge to get message from earth and probably new reforcement and equipment to fight back. This would explain why jake neytiri have a nearly happy life with their children for a long time and suddenly they fight for their life.

Edited by dignam

The reviews is a bit... too close? 

I know Disney recently are doing this especially with MCU but i though it would be earlier with Avatar to get some good buzz around the reception. Hopefully is just a spoiler thing or something and not some internal notion that maybe it won´t be very well received.

• Like 2

Dunno-this whole marketing campaign has really seemed like a Best Buy in-store 4k or 8k TV demo. It's like footage you'd want to see on a big huge screen when you enter an aquarium to make people excited to see fish and other ocean life and maybe buy a stuffed toy.

But has it been nearly enough to get people to feel urgency to buy tickets quickly? This will be VERY interesting to watch. Cameron dominated with Titanic and Avatar1 with the legs. But he's never come back with a sequel.

• Like 1