Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Globally this weekend we have A2 with $25.9M and Titanic with $22.3M.

That makes Jimbo the first director ever to have two films at the top two spots of the global weekend chart.

Hmm are either local blockbusters in China doing more this weekend?

18 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Hmm are either local blockbusters in China doing more this weekend?

I don’t count China given the fact that their films are not global releases.

Anyway Full River Red is behind both with $19.2M this weekend and TWE3 is behind A2 with $24.7M.

Edited by Mr Roark

A2 is a huge success, but the admissions trajectory from Titanic -> A1 -> A2 is a sobering reminder for the state of the industry. Although to be fair expecting any director to replicate that level of success is a tremendous ask and he already accomplished it twice in a row.

Will be interested to see where things go from here with A3 (I imagine downward for 3/4 and then maybe there is some finale factor with 5 that will bring back audiences). The main curiosity with #3 will be to see how an unhindered China performs.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Some of the behind the scene of Avatar 2 featuring Avatar's VFX supervisor and producer.

The technological advancement they made here is unprecedented and deserve every VFX award out there! 

Awesome vid, the more I hear about the cgi in this the more respect I have for it tbh

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

A2 is a huge success, but the admissions trajectory from Titanic -> A1 -> A2 is a sobering reminder for the state of the industry. Although to be fair expecting any director to replicate that level of success is a tremendous ask and he already accomplished it twice in a row.

Will be interested to see where things go from here with A3 (I imagine downward for 3/4 and then maybe there is some finale factor with 5 that will bring back audiences). The main curiosity with #3 will be to see how an unhindered China performs.

Yeah that trajectory has nothing to do with James Cameron or his movies. It has everything to do with the industry as a whole, as you said.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:05 PM, Mr Roark said:

Globally this weekend we have A2 with $25.9M and Titanic with $22.3M.

That makes Jimbo the first director ever to have two films at the top two spots of the global weekend chart.

Outstanding!! And another milestone that may never be equalled for Jim. Dang!🦝😱👍

On 2/12/2023 at 6:55 PM, Verrows said:

Yeah that trajectory has nothing to do with James Cameron or his movies. It has everything to do with the industry as a whole, as you said.

Indeed Verrows. Makes you wonder if any film will climb into 2billion dollar territory that's not named Avatar. No one even thought films could make it there after no where home barely missed the. Mark. I think in an ideal market a3 can best avatar by over a billion. If  markets continue to weaken facing pandemics and mother nature horrors,  then shoot even 1.5-1.8b will be  extremely hard to reach for big IP. Even for pandora. Hopefully that won't be the case 🦝🏋‍♀️👍

This...This is Our Land!

9 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Indeed Verrows. Makes you wonder if any film will climb into 2billion dollar territory that's not named Avatar. No one even thought films could make it there after no where home barely missed the. Mark. I think in an ideal market a3 can best avatar by over a billion. If  markets continue to weaken facing pandemics and mother nature horrors,  then shoot even 1.5-1.8b will be  extremely hard to reach for big IP. Even for pandora. Hopefully that won't be the case 🦝🏋‍♀️👍

This...This is Our Land!

Avengers films are the only other safe bet, and even then not every Avengers film (Ie. I wouldn't get on Kang Dynasty but I would bet on Secret Wars).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Avengers films are the only other safe bet, and even then not every Avengers film (Ie. I wouldn't get on Kang Dynasty but I would bet on Secret Wars).

Think without China it will be hard and with Simu Liu in there it would be hard. Maybe Secret Wars could tho without.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:36 AM, titanic2187 said:

Some of the behind the scene of Avatar 2 featuring Avatar's VFX supervisor and producer.

The technological advancement they made here is unprecedented and deserve every VFX award out there! 

well said by the host. "If you guys don't win Oscar for best VFX, there are something wrong with the world"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Verrows said:

Yes secret wars with the beyonder and world War hulk  are definitely some potentials verrows. Agreed.  if indy 5 is an amazing film it just might suprise as well. But boy indy 5 is a Longshot with all these reshoots.

• Like 1

On Superbowl Sunday A2 was the highest crossing movie again - not much of a surprise tho..

I really thought, that Titanic could win another weekend but ..  :)

The battle for 3rd place WW is intensifying but the outcome is pretty clear.

• Like 1

All-Time weekends:

Spoiler

3rd:

Star Wars 7 90.2

4th:

5th:
Titanic 30.0

6th:
Top Gun 2 25.9
Titanic 25.2

7th:
Titanic 25.9

Home Alone's 3-day 7th weekend is unavailable (the 4-day was 25.1) but wouldn't make sense to include anyway since by this point its theater count had expanded 78% from its opening weekend. The highest other expansion by this point for the movies listed was Titanic's 6.7%, and the others expanded 0.3% at most.

8th:
Titanic 23.0
Top Gun 2 12.3
Frozen 11.7

9th:
Titanic 28.2

Avatar 2 with 7.2 fell just inside or outside the top 10 depending on the cutoff point one chooses for theater expansions after wide/semi-wide release opening weekends.

By Deadline's estimate, Avatar 2's 10th weekend would finish 6th excluding theater expansions over 40% after OW:

10th weekends:
Titanic 21.0
Frozen 8.9
Top Gun 2 8.4
Spider-Man: No Way Home 7.5

Of course if there was a fair way to compare box office legs worldwide, Titanic and Avatar 1 & 2 would stand out even more.

Edited by danziger
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 11:48 PM, Jiffy said:

The moviegoing has changed a lot in the last 10 years, as another pal said, it´s a miracle to have a movie over 2 B actually.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, danziger said:

All-Time weekends:

Reveal hidden contents

Great job, i love it!

• Thanks 2