Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The part that worries me is he was banking on 60fps HFR being that trick up his sleeve. Not happening.

Either way, this time around Avatar 2 needs more than just visual flare. The story and characters will be even more important. I think he knows that, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if the doesn't try to top the 3D buzz this time.

I wonder if he'll drop his plans for 60 FPS since practically everyone thought the 48 FPS version of The Hobbit was really, really bad.

Agree with the rest.

I wonder if he'll drop his plans for 60 FPS since practically everyone thought the 48 FPS version of The Hobbit was really, really bad.

Agree with the rest.

Its Cameron, he will make it work.

• Like 1

How the fu.k do some people say this will decrease so much from the original? And how Avatar's success was based on luck?

You can hate JC and the films all you want, but if you think its BO performance was based on luck, you are crazy.

Seriously, lightning doesn't strike twice, but JC pretty much dropped a pair of giant lightning strikes the size of Hulk's dick. HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Like 2

Avatar  has been a massive hit back in 2009 because of the gullible GA that ate 3d up without critical and rational thinking.

And the color blue.

And shiny colors.

And funny looking animals.

The movie tells us nothing about the human race as a species, that we are basically nothing more than parasites, xenomorphs as they used to call them on LV-624.

Don't get me started on the too good to be true,nice blue people, bland, cardboard  characters and predictable " plot".

Cameron wrote the script in his sleep whoile he was jerking off to his new and shiny 3d cameras.

Avatard 2 can consider itself lucky if it reaches 1,5b ww.

Element of surprise is gone, 3d is dead, except for the still gullible overseas audience.

Edited by The Futurist

A 700M fall? Thats a 26% fall. What is a highly acclaimed blockbuster that has fallen this much? SM2, JP2 and CoS didn't even fall that much, so why would Avatar 2 fall this much?

First of all, 3d share is falling everywhere including OS now.Second of all, you cannot compare avatar with other movies bc there has never been a film like avatar. How many sequels has there been for $2B grossers?Third of all, that is just a very early guess. You cannot say my prediction is too low or too high because we have nothing whatsoever to back it up with. You guys can give me your predictions and we can compare instead of just saying its too low.

Avatar  has been a massive hit back in 2009 because of the gullible GA that ate 3d up without critical and rational thinking.

And the color blue.

And shiny colors.

And funny looking animals.

The movie tells us nothing about the human race as a species, that we are basically nothing more than parasites, xenomorphs as they used to call them on LV-624.

Don't get me started on the too good to be true,nice blue people, bland, cardboard  characters and predictable " plot".

Cameron wrote the script in his sleep whoile he was jerking off to his new and shiny 3d cameras.

Avatard 2 can consider itself lucky if it reaches 1,5b ww.

Element of surprise is gone, 3d is dead, except for the still gullible overseas audience.

Posted Image

• Like 2

A 700M fall? Thats a 26% fall. What is a highly acclaimed blockbuster that has fallen this much? SM2, JP2 and CoS didn't even fall that much, so why would Avatar 2 fall this much?

That sort of dip used to be far more common: EMPIRE grossed $209m to SW's $307m (first run before re-releases); BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 did $118m to the original's $210m...Other examples:BEVERLY HILLS COP 2: $154m (original, $253m)GHOSTBUSTERS 2: $112m (original, $234m)BATMAN RETURNS: $162m (original, $251m)GODFATHER II: $47m (original, $133m)LOST WORLD: $227m (original, $353m)There's certainly precedent, especially (like AVATAR) these originals were some of the biggest hits ever at the time.
  • Like 1

I think JURASSIC PARK -> LOST WORLD is also a possibility as a comp. Same creative team, etc.

DOM JP was never the highest grossing film of all time. Also it was based on a popular book. It is comparable, but ESM is always the best comparison we could have because both Avatar and SW were based on nothing, and they built their popularity on their own.

My super early predict, $400m domestic, $1.4b OS for $1.8b total. Those of you saying Avatar 2 is a lock to be WW #2 all time are mistaken. I promise the original is not holding up as some are thinking, who knows where the industry will be in three years.

Please tell me why a sequel to the highest grossing film of all time, with the benefit of 3D, does the same number as TF2 did which was a sequel to a normal-size blockbuster and no 3D?

And how can you promise anything? :lol:

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3