Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

You can blame Tom Hardy for that. 

We must not blame Tom Hardy, if he had said something bad for example about France, we would never have canceled the film here. It's freedom of expression but they don't have that in China.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LPLC said:

We must not blame Tom Hardy, if he had said something bad for example about France, we would never have canceled the film here. It's freedom of expression but they don't have that in China.

I agree but he's still the reason apparently for the non-release of Venom 2. 

Variety article

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/venom-let-there-be-carnage-china-trouble-1235121528/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another thing is that China seems to have reverence/respect for people who have come from working class backgrounds and made themselves the top of their respective fields (like Jim). Unlike someone like Tom Hardy who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth (privately educated etc.)

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
Typo
  • Like 2

I remember back in 2016 or whatever I was predicting $3b WW easy, people would call me crazy back then and ridiculous. I'm relatively sure that wihout COVID & the Pandemic that most would be predicitng over 3 billies WW as of now.

It's sad really what the Pandemic has done however right movie (A2) at the right time can make all the difference in the world. If China allows a full run of A2 at full capcity for over a month, thats $1.5b right there.

• Like 1

NWH shows that pandemic means nothing if people really want to see something. It had a terrific hook and it was a great movie so it's going to make over 1.7M w/o China (would be over 2B with it). So assuming Jimbo has the right hook and movie is really great, the sky's the limit even with variants.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

NWH shows that pandemic means nothing if people really want to see something. It had a terrific hook and it was a great movie so it's going to make over 1.7M w/o China (would be over 2B with it). So assuming Jimbo has the right hook and movie is really great, the sky's the limit even with variants.

NWH $2b lmao?

A2 gonna make 4 billie EASY

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

IronJimbo, good to see you back, can you run the numbers on the growth of IMAX + China and how much A2 will make?

If we use the polynomial curve of Jim films plotting gross against year that before we factor in other things, Avatar 2 will make $4.2b. Now if we take China's percentage gross of the first film which was 7.5%, now that percentage of the poly predicted A2 scoring we get $315m. If we take this $315m and multiple it by market growth of china from 2010 jan to now then this number becomes we get approxemitmately $2.5b from China. Ok great, now if we take the difference and add it back to the $4.2b we get $6.4b.

Applying the same calculations to all the other regions and globally we go up to 11.53 billies.

The method is in my opinion sound but I think that it could pontentially be completely wrong. The problem is the Jim factor and magic, for this I'll apply the 11.5b as the floor and say the true range is 11.5b to 16b due to Jim magic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

If we use the polynomial curve of Jim films plotting gross against year that before we factor in other things, Avatar 2 will make $4.2b. Now if we take China's percentage gross of the first film which was 7.5%, now that percentage of the poly predicted A2 scoring we get $315m. If we take this $315m and multiple it by market growth of china from 2010 jan to now then this number becomes we get approxemitmately $2.5b from China. Ok great, now if we take the difference and add it back to the $4.2b we get $6.4b.

Applying the same calculations to all the other regions and globally we go up to 11.53 billies.

The method is in my opinion sound but I think that it could pontentially be completely wrong. The problem is the Jim factor and magic, for this I'll apply the 11.5b as the floor and say the true range is 11.5b to 16b due to Jim magic.

Jim magic is at least a 2x multiplier.