Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Don't get me wrong, I HOPE it does but as of right now I have no faith in it. I feel like China will release 8-10 low/mid level American films just to say, "Hey we are releasing things!" but it won't be any of the major global films. I hope I'm wrong. 

It's okay. I didn't take that as wrong. Regardless, what will be future of Hollywood will ultimately depends after Spring Festival. Truth may be on March 2022. Other than that I hope you are really wrong about Avatar not getting release in Mainland 🤣🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Looking forward to this film being a success due to Disney and not James Cameron

Huh? I don't understand how this movie's potential success can be attributed to Disney more than James Cameron.  

On 1/13/2022 at 9:02 AM, RiddlerXXR said:

Disagree. That’s like saying the novelty of the Avengers, Harry Potter or LOTR washed away between the first and last films. The middle films dropped a bit but they basically held line. So yes the likelihood is that A2 or A5 is the biggest of these next 4 but A3 and A4 can both hold over $2B if the audience is there.

Those were franchises with consistent ongoing release schedules. Here we have a 12-year gap so the second movie will likely be inflated a bit from that. 

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Those were franchises with consistent ongoing release schedules. Here we have a 12-year gap so the second movie will likely be inflated a bit from that. 

Right but I was talking about A2-A5. If A2 is "big", there's no reason A3-A5 can't do similar numbers (or more) like the franchises I mentioned. 

26 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Because it's true. Anyway this film will be a success due to the talent of Cameron. 

Should have said that first.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Huh? I don't understand how this movie's potential success can be attributed to Disney more than James Cameron.  

But if it fails, lets be ready to blame Disney, no?

• Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Regarding Trade War, I doubt 12 months is enough time to resolved the problem.

Let's be positive &pray that films like MI7 &Maverick find a date in China. BTW, I believe that current ban is just affecting CBM not entire Hollywood. Hahaha, Let's Make Avatar 2 win All-time highest grossing film in the world.... 

JC bring Avatar 2 to China😁

I love film and want to see good movies do well, and strongly support Cameron's artistic endeavors, but I'm not "praying" for any China release as a savior for Avatar 2 or anything else.  It will either happen or it won't.  The CCP's attitude is of course deeply "problematic" and will determine whether it gets a release there, or not.  I think NO WAY HOME has already demonstrated that a China release isn't needed if a film is truly supported at the box office everywhere else.  

12 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

Avatar made like $2.4-2.5 billion not counting China in its original run, if Cameron delivers another spectacle then there's no reason this movie can't come close to those numbers again (dunno about exchange rates or inflation from 09)

My current expectation is around $1.8B OS-C. Very similar to NWH but with a shift in where the money comes from. For instance, I think DOM will be about $200M less than NWH but I think places like South Korea and Germany will beat NWH by $40M each. 

1 hour ago, RiddlerXXR said:

My current expectation is around $1.8B OS-C. Very similar to NWH but with a shift in where the money comes from. For instance, I think DOM will be about $200M less than NWH but I think places like South Korea and Germany will beat NWH by $40M each. 

Yeah I can definitely see this, maybe India is a bigish market for A2 as well, from social media atleast it seems pretty anticipated over there

2 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

South Korea, Germany, probably the entirety of the rest of Europe with the possible exception of the UK, Australia, Japan, etc. etc.

The only major overseas markets that I'm not confident Avatar 2 will outgross (and, moreover, out-admission) NWH are the UK, Brazil and Mexico.

2 minutes ago, hw64 said:

South Korea, Germany, probably the entirety of the rest of Europe with the possible exception of the UK, Australia, Japan, etc. etc.

The only major overseas markets that I'm not confident Avatar 2 will outgross (and, moreover, out-admission) NWH are the UK, Brazil and Mexico.

Indeed. Most of Europe should beat NWH. Idk if Australia will or not. Japan could triple NWH. I'm curious to see the numbers in the other Asian countries. I think it could be Endgame level in a lot of them. 

30 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Who needs an ethnic minority being not culturally exterminated so long as a random movie makes a few extra dollars.

If Jim's new movie about the uprooting and oppression of indigenous peoples is released in China it will change the CCP by making them see the errors of their ways.  Only Jim can save the Uyghurs now.  Jim Cameron 4815162342, Jim Cameron.