Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 minutes ago, lilmac said:

From Cameron's recent comments, I'm actually really excited about Avatar 4! 

https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/james-cameron-reveals-how-much-of-avatar-3-and-4-has-already-filmed

So based on this, there will be a bit of a time jump in the story. I wonder how many years the total story arc is set over.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

So based on this, there will be a bit of a time jump in the story. I wonder how many years the total story arc is set over.

My guess is it will be long enough (he did say a 6 year time jump, early in IV), the kids/teens will turn into young adults and become the new leaders of the Tribe completing the "lifecycle".   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I haven't seen anyone predict higher than me yet (which was 16 billion).

That was hypothetical though based on a lot of extenuating, unlikely factors. 

What is your prediction if all market conditions and economies are in December as they are today?

• Like 1

Cameron said he'd like to have a 6 hour cut of movies for streaming while having a 2 1/2 theatrical cut. I'm assuming the former would be released outside of the theatrical window, but I'd be so down for that for certain franchises and movies especially if they have a Chapter like structure like Zach Snyder's Justice League. Not sure how financially feasible it'd be for the studios though. I don't know how much an Extended/Director/Ultimate Edition cut would cost.

New information about the movie from the recent Empire article.

Spoiler

-"Spider" is raised in the jungle - Tarzan style! (please no loincloths.....)

- in the first quarter of the movie the Sully's are forced out of the rainforest (my guess is the RDA - Trail of Tears style)

- their flight leads them into contact with the Metkayina clan led by Tonowari/Cliff Curtis and Ronal/Kate Winslet

- the Sully's have to earn their keep, the article makes no mention of the Omaticaya 

- the RDA returns with a major vengeance

- RDA looks at Pandora as much more than a source of unobtainium 

- the return of Quartich - possibly more manic and bloodthirsty 

- tons of new tech, environments etc 

nls8q1aim1f51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

I had a bit of time this morning so I did a deep dive into Avatar 2 and it’s box office scenarios. I’m not going to put all my data here or my reasonings but suffice it to say I compared everything from Avatar to Star Wars to the MCU to local blockbusters, as well as exchange rates, market conditions and market adjustments that have occurred in the last decade. For reference, my prediction is the “Base” scenario.

Updated Scenarios**

Ultra Bear

$250M DOM

$300M China 

$700M OS-C

Bear 

$400M DOM

$450M China

$850M OS-C

Base

$550M DOM

$600M China 

$1100M OS-C

Base+
$650M DOM

$700M China 

$1300M OS-C

Bull

$800M DOM

$900M China

$1650M OS-C

Ultra Bull

$1000M DOM

$1250M China

$2000M OS-C

**Scenario’s based on the caveat that COVID is “under control” globally and there are no restrictions anywhere. Scenarios are also based on current exchange rates. 

Edited by RiddlerXXR
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonahVex said:

I have a feeling the DOM OW will be nothing too spectacular like maybe $120-150m, people will be really snarky about it and then the legs will be ridiculous and 2 months later it will be nearing Avatar 1 numbers and people will be really shocked

I don’t see legs being anything spectacular. This is an IP sequel now. I don’t even think it will have TFA legs. Basically what I’m expecting is a bigger version of Frozen 2.