Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I always find the "Avatar 1 has become completely forgotten" arguments to be silly when it has inspired a whole theme park section in Disney World that's been open for 5 years (and opened before there were even whispers that Disney would inherit the movie as part of the Fox acquisition) and is visited by millions of people annually in addition to generating plenty of revenue for both Disney and Cameron (like the Harry Potter attraction at Universal, it's a joint venture between the studio behind the movie and the parks). That level of exposure = more people discovering the movie all the time. Forgotten movies don't achieve that.

• Like 2

I think Spider (Jake and Neytiri's adopted human son) will be the breakout character of The Way of Water.

I already see interest in him and his potential story from many comments online and he stands out even just in the trailer just for the fact that he's human.

He might elevate many people's opinion about Avatar and in my opinion, here's why:

Spoiler

I think one of the reasons why many people especially young people online reject and "forget" Avatar and its story and characters is because the film is misanthropic and cynical. The humans are the bad guys, they destroy planets. The main character literally abandons humanity because we are a lost cause and becomes a blue alien at the end of the film. There is no hope for humanity.

This is basically the anti-thesis to Star Wars, Marvel and the like where even the most ordinary human can become a hero with amazing abilities and save the universe (or multiverses). Humans always win. These movies feed the idealism and optimism of young (usually male) people. Notice how they are also the ones who have been the most vocal about their disdain or apathy for Avatar. It is really interesting.

And this is where Spider comes in (James Cameron is very smart). Spider will appeal to those who need a human face as THE hero. Spider will represent the best parts of humanity like how Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, etc. do while still remaining human and not be some blue alien. Unlike Jake Sully who was a Na'vi for most of his screen time. Of course I'm not saying Spider will be anywhere near as big a pop culture icon as Peter or Luke. But his character will definitely be beneficial to the franchise and the overall story. His name is also memorable. One other factor why the GA can't remember any names is because the Na'vi have foreign sounding fantasy names that you've never heard before in real life.

I can already sense that some of the most emotional scenes in the sequels will be with him and his adoptive mother Neytiri who resents humans. Now that's a really interesting arc.

But of course this is all just a speculation and at worst, Avatar's sequels will just suffer the same fate as the first movie. Which is to make the most money out of any movie in history but be "forgotten" and downplayed in the 2030s when the magic of the theatrical experience wears off and can't be replicated on streaming platforms.

Side note:

Despite being misanthropic and cynical, Avatar still struck a chord with millions of people because of its universal themes and story. At its core, it's essentially a love story between a paraplegic human soldier and an otherworldly alien princess. That specific concept (a human loving an alien) is something I have never seen before and I am a sucker for star-crossed lovers. Jake and Neytiri's love is the link between the human world and the alien world and transcends race, species, planets and universes. Eywa chose Jake for a reason. People love that concept of "destiny" especially when it comes to romance. That comforting and beautiful concept is one big reason why every demographic got hooked aside from the jaw dropping visuals of the alien landscapes. Such a shame that a love story with such a grand and epic scale is constantly reduced to just "Pocahontas in space". I mean Titanic was just "Romeo and Juliet on a sinking ship" (although Titanic was also reviled and downplayed back in the day when it used to be the highest grossing film *wink wink*). The Lion King is just "Hamlet but with animals" too but I digress.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Royce said:

I think Spider (Jake and Neytiri's adopted human son) will be the breakout character of The Way of Water.

I already see interest in him and his potential story from many comments online and he stands out even just in the trailer just for the fact that he's human.

He might elevate many people's opinion about Avatar and in my opinion, here's why:

Hide contents

I think one of the reasons why many people especially young people online reject and "forget" Avatar and its story and characters is because the film is misanthropic and cynical. The humans are the bad guys, they destroy planets. The main character literally abandons humanity because we are a lost cause and becomes a blue alien at the end of the film. There is no hope for humanity.

This is basically the anti-thesis to Star Wars, Marvel and the like where even the most ordinary human can become a hero with amazing abilities and save the universe (or multiverses). Humans always win. These movies feed the idealism and optimism of young (usually male) people. Notice how they are also the ones who have been the most vocal about their disdain or apathy for Avatar. It is really interesting.

And this is where Spider comes in (James Cameron is very smart). Spider will appeal to those who need a human face as THE hero. Spider will represent the best parts of humanity like how Peter Parker, Luke Skywalker, etc. do while still remaining human and not be some blue alien. Unlike Jake Sully who was a Na'vi for most of his screen time. Of course I'm not saying Spider will be anywhere near as big a pop culture icon as Peter or Luke. But his character will definitely be beneficial to the franchise and the overall story. His name is also memorable. One other factor why the GA can't remember any names is because the Na'vi have foreign sounding fantasy names that you've never heard before in real life.

I can already sense that some of the most emotional scenes in the sequels will be with him and his adoptive mother Neytiri who resents humans. Now that's a really interesting arc.

But of course this is all just a speculation and at worst, Avatar's sequels will just suffer the same fate as the first movie. Which is to make the most money out of any movie in history but be "forgotten" and downplayed in the 2030s when the magic of the theatrical experience wears off and can't be replicated on streaming platforms.

Side note:

Despite being misanthropic and cynical, Avatar still struck a chord with millions of people because of its universal themes and story. At its core, it's essentially a love story between a paraplegic human soldier and an otherworldly alien princess. That specific concept (a human loving an alien) is something I have never seen before and I am a sucker for star-crossed lovers. Jake and Neytiri's love is the link between the human world and the alien world and transcends race, species, planets and universes. Eywa chose Jake for a reason. People love that concept of "destiny" especially when it comes to romance. That comforting and beautiful concept is one big reason why every demographic got hooked aside from the jaw dropping visuals of the alien landscapes. Such a shame that a love story with such a grand and epic scale is constantly reduced to just "Pocahontas in space". I mean Titanic was just "Romeo and Juliet on a sinking ship" (although Titanic was also reviled and downplayed back in the day when it used to be the highest grossing film *wink wink*). The Lion King is just "Hamlet but with animals" too but I digress.

I disagree somewhat  with what you said about Titanic being "reviled and downplayed". Sure it was made fun of, but that's mostly because it was a romance movie popular among teenage girls and not a male oriented action movie and people make fun of and mock anything that's popular among girls. If Avatar was made fun of or  joked about a lot today that's one thing but before this trailer I feel no one really TALKED about Avatar. Titanic had much more impact on the cultural zeitgeist than Avatar imo.

But you actually might be on to something about the somewhat cynical nature  of the film that paints no hope for humanity being a factor in the movies perceived lack of impact in popular culture and younger audiences. I know nothing about the plot but you're right that Cameron incorporating a young male human character is an extremely smart move. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Haha 1

Any idea how it's doing on chinese social media apps in terms of engagement?

I would imagine it's doing batshit insane.

In India, the excitement is through the roof, imo high enough to double Endgame's business here and that's easily the highest grossing hollywood movie right now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I read so many takes like that online in reference to JC. Time and time again I just think to myself "yeah, it's thinking like that which is the reason Cameron is currently sat in an editing bay in his million dollar ranch in NZ and you're stuck with the rest of us posting on some niche internet forum". It's like come on folks, has he not proved himself enough?!

JCS this Avatar of yours is just disturbing, faces aren't 1:1 symetric ever

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This thread is such a car crash, it's horrifying and awful, yet I can't look away. Wonder if the movie will end up the same 😉

A car crash for all of those who have looked down their noses at Avatar fans I hope. The meltdowns from the vocal minority online will be glorious. 

3 hours ago, iamawesome said:

Any idea how it's doing on chinese social media apps in terms of engagement?

I would imagine it's doing batshit insane.

In India, the excitement is through the roof, imo high enough to double Endgame's business here and that's easily the highest grossing hollywood movie right now

I can’t see it doing $165M in India…

• Like 1

In China Avatar's trailer have nearly same hype as Avengers Endgame,by Maoyan “want to see”data,it's performance same as Decetive Chinatown 3 at same time.It's incredible for my QQ(same thing like facebook in US) friends all post Avatar trailer,no matter they are or aren't movie fans,they all said:“Hell,finally Cameron the God come!”“It is super beatufiul”etc.

Avatar's insanely popularity shows up again after 13 years,with the trailer came out I finally realize in China nobody forgot Avatar,everybody remeber how popular it is back to 2009,and everybody expect it,so my first perdiction of Avatar 2 will be $700-800m in China at least,probably first HLW film become biggest grosser of the year after 2014's Transformer 4.We'll see.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

And I also expect to see that Avatar 2 have bigger Chinese box office than DOM,if the movie is really good,it do have a chance to overtake TBALC,$1000m is not a dream,can A2 DOM beating TFA?I doubt it.

It will be hard, but if there is a HLW film able to make in China more than TFA DOM or TBALC China is this one.

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

In China Avatar's trailer have nearly same hype as Avengers Endgame,by Maoyan “want to see”data,it's performance same as Decetive Chinatown 3 at same time.It's incredible for my QQ(same thing like facebook in US) friends all post Avatar trailer,no matter they are or aren't movie fans,they all said:“Hell,finally Cameron the God come!”“It is super beatufiul”etc.

Avatar's insanely popularity shows up again after 13 years,with the trailer came out I finally realize in China nobody forgot Avatar,everybody remeber how popular it is back to 2009,and everybody expect it,so my first perdiction of Avatar 2 will be $700-800m in China at least,probably first HLW film become biggest grosser of the year after 2014's Transformer 4.We'll see.

Thanks for the input king.

Surreal to see Avatar, which many people associate to be a slowburn in terms of hype, be an endgame level event in a lot of asian countries. It's our star wars and this is our phantom menace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

No, you're certainly part of the problem here for sure. 

Coming from the person triggered by the phrase 'billies', you've been on the anti-Avatar train for years. Don't let hate cloud your view of the world.