Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Ok a person i trust has seen it and said it's better than I can imagine.

#1 domestic, #1 worldwide.

Just sit back and watch, your doomer posting over the expected is boring.

Nice one Ironjimbo. I trust fellow AVATAR fans views over anyone else to be honest.

5 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well we have to rememebr that AVATAR 'Only' did 200mil in China on its initial release (massive at that time), but for A2 we have even had predicts going for a 200mil OW!. It may not go that high but i think 150mil is doable.

A China total in the 500-600+ range is more than doable. That means quite a lot of markets have the leeway to gross less than the first movie, with the China gross covring them.

lol, with the lower and lower everyday pre-sale and the more and more serious covid outbreak in China, it needs to at least get one more extended showing month for it to possibly pass 500mil, if it doesn't, there is no way it could get pass that number. I hope Disney could make that happen, I want to see it after Chinese New Year, but I have very little hope for that, unless all Chinese native movies decide to move because of covid like 2020.

I love the optimism and respect people going out on a limb with their true beliefs even if I can't follow. Would be much easier and safer to predict $2 billion - that's still way more than was generally expected outside this forum, and of course many have been saying for years that it will flop. 

1 hour ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Looks like opening week in South Korea will be about 13-18% below Frozen 2’s opening. That’s a disappointment. 

so 150%-200% more than the first Avatar?

edit: opening week or weekend?

Edited by Alexdube

14 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well we have to rememebr that AVATAR 'Only' did 200mil in China on its initial release (massive at that time), but for A2 we have even had predicts going for a 200mil OW!. It may not go that high but i think 150mil is doable.

A China total in the 500-600+ range is more than doable. That means quite a lot of markets have the leeway to gross less than the first movie, with the China gross covring them.

Yeah, but still...china is a dicey market. Need other markets to perform same or more for a long sustainable franchise

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

"it is not a must see anymore"

"says who, the reactions that say it's better than the first?"

"presales have done a nosedive"

"i remain unwavered in my conviction in its box office prospects"

Guys, we are going round in circles. 😴

you seen it yet Elessar?

reception isnt there for 3 billion, would be surprised by 2.5 billion at this point, think it'll crawl over 2 billion, satisfying no one in the process, neither the haters or the fans will know how to feel about that

James Cameron failed us

• Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

you seen it yet Elessar?

Yes. It's a bit of a mixed bag. It takes a while until it gets going. Imagine Titanic only that the first half is not nearly as compelling. A 2nd watch might change my feelings. Expectations can be a bitch. It's just my opinion, doesn't mean you or the majority will feel that way.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Yes. It's a bit of a mixed bag. It takes a while until it gets going. Imagine Titanic only that the first half is not nearly as compelling. A 2nd watch might change my feelings. Expectations can be a bitch.

where did you rank the original Avatar amongs Jim's filmography?