Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

50 minutes ago, Royce said:

So many people keep mentioning that this movie (specifically the last act) is way more emotional than the first movie

I have really high expectations now because that scene where Neytiri puts on the oxygen mask on Jake's face, saving him and seeing him in his human form for the first time... still one of the most touching scenes I've ever seen in my life. An unconditional and universal love story that transcends space, time and worlds. Cried as hard as I did when Old Rose slept peacefully and went back to a resurrected Titanic and saw all those people and Jack again. The fall of the Home Tree was also very emotional. I don't remember seeing that in Pocahontas! Avatar's story is quite underrated if you ask me lol

Royce when Cameron comes up with a beautiful breakthrough your going to always have some folks nitpicking the story or something like that. But the greatest stories alway have the same themes and the best ones present a familiar story but with a  grand and all involving presentation. This is what Cameron is the best at with his stories as well as his drive to not just do fluff, but innovate and push the limits everytime.everything.

The results he achieved what no filmmaker will ever do. Back to back world breakers that not only swept up the word but were massive  critical success as well. Winning many awards including the Oscar's and golden globe.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

What I really dont get is why, despite having all the time in the world, did Cameron still left himself vulnerable to the "weak story" line of attack

cameron says he spent 5 years working on the scripts with a group of writers, but it seems that even the GA, and not only "prentious " critics are finding some issue with the story, heck, I even found 2 reviews which gave it a 100/100 saying that the story is nothing special

If youre making a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time why wouldnt you try to adress what some see as the originals biggest problem?

theres even people complaining that the story is too similar to the original, which makes wonder what exactly it is that he was doing during those 5 years

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

What I really dont get is why, despite having all the time in the world, did Cameron still left himself vulnerable to the "weak story" line of attack

cameron says he spent 5 years working on the scripts with a group of writers, but it seems that even the GA, and not only "prentious " critics are finding some issue with the story, heck, I even found 2 reviews which gave it a 100/100 saying that the story was nothing special

If youre making a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time why wouldnt you try to adress what some see as the originals biggest problem?

theres even people complaining that the story is too similar to the original, which makes wonder what exactly it is that he was doing during those 5 years

I mean, just how much can you do with the story given the simplicity of the first and where it left off? 

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

cameron says he spent 5 years working on the scripts with a group of writers, but it seems that even the GA, and not only "prentious " critics are finding some issue with the story, heck, I even found 2 reviews which gave it a 100/100 saying that the story is nothing special

Probably because writing is hard.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

No film is going to please everyone. The fact is most actually are saying it's a far better story and one of the greatest sequels of all time brother interior.

So Cameron  was very very busy.  If you feel you can do better. Kindly tell Disney your grievances and submit your stuff to Disney and see if your given a film my brother.😉

In my opinion he's one of the best writers, as I've never looked in the audience and seen 6 generations of moviegoers in tears and so involved in a film.

That is what I call a good story that gets the 4 quadrant of audiences so involved. He did the same thing on a greater scale with Titanic. 

Heck some folks love the story of Usual Suspects, but it didn't move or involve people on every level such as the Titan of all box office and Avatar after it.  Now we will see how audiences react to the far bigger story and event that is Avatar 2 Way of the Water.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

All Cameron movies have their script as a weak point, it's just not his strenght imo. 

Even his movies with fucking genius ideas like T2 have some writing issues. 

I do think maybe he put more effort on the sequels too. Since Avatar 2 have to reintroduce the whole thing for the audience maybe he felt it would be better to keep it simple and familiar before going more wild. 

Someone said the 4th or 5th will have Neytiri coming to an post-apocalypt earth or something, so at least they'll try different things from now on.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

I mean, just how much can you do with the story given the simplicity of the first and where it left off? 

Shoot i loved the story and it definitely had beats that weren't simple. Like the hero being a quadriplegic and the Navi. Connecting.to nature with those biological connections and that Home Tree element.

51 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

He said himself that he was following his tried-and-true sequel method of taking the same general plot of things and flipping it on its head. How that does or doesn't work for you may vary. Now that he's played that hand, Avatar 3 will probably not follow that formula. The best thing is that we don't have to wait 13 years to see if that's true.

Edited by ImNotExcited

Something Cameron has undoubtedly succeeded at (and that's a crucial point if this is going to be a record run) is making something that people have not seen before. This is something he always sets out to do but even I didn't anticipate he would succeed at that so categorically. I expected to see a lot more of: "this looks just like the first Avatar!". Not at all. Even the worst reviews have to concede that it is technically impressive.  This movie will clearly have that "it" factor going forward that will undoubtedly give it legs. 

How many times have I seen people saying things like: "oh nobody is impressed by CG anymore!", "vfx are so common now, Avatar will be nothing special!".

Then you read something like this, and I've seen a lot of this kind of raving (top RT critic):

https://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/avatar-the-way-of-water

Spoiler

It’s finally here. After years of missed release dates related to postproduction issues, James Cameron’s oft-delayed sequel to 2009’s Avatar has finally arrived. Was it worth the 13-year wait? Unquestionably. It’s difficult to overstate how impressive and potentially game-changing this motion picture is. Nothing before has prepared audiences for the immersion offered by Avatar: The Way of Water when seen in optimal circumstances. The film’s straightforward narrative (which isn’t going to garner any writing nominations) plays a distant second fiddle to the amazing technical leap forward that this movie offers. If theatrical movies are going to survive, this is the future – the kind of experience that will get me off my sofa and into a well-upholstered theater seat. The Way of Water gave me three-plus hours like no other three-plus hours I have spent in a multiplex. By alternating fast-paced action sequences with slower, more contemplative stretches, Cameron calms the blood pressure before repeatedly elevating it. Those in search of a rich emotional experience or complex storyline won’t find either here, but those things have never been the director’s bread-and-butter. He offers enough of both to allow his vision and his team’s technical bravura to smooth out any pacing inconsistencies and take the viewer down a dizzying rabbit hole. Awesome.

It still echoes some of the negative things that have been said, but it's clear that this movie has something special that will garner up a lot of curious who don't want to miss out

• Like 1

My first impressions minutes after I exited the theater:

I had a fine time. Just fine.

Might be in the minority here, but personally I liked A1 better.

I couldn't care about most of the characters, only Lo Ak and Spider were interesting to me.

Also, I thought some characters looked too similar and had a hard time trying to understand who was who.

The first movie's pacing is top tier and I always get hooked from minute 1 until the end. With Way of Water, there were a few times where I just wanted to move to the next scene.

I would say that the movie ends on a high note tho.Just like everyone else, I thought the last 30 mins were amazing and easily my favorite part of the movie.

I will rewatch it sometime between Christmas and New Year, maybe I'll like it better, maybe not. I'll give an update.

• Like 1