Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 8/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, Giorno said:

Fraction of what physical sales used to be at their peak, deadline projected $350m for a2 lifetime from home video + tv/streaming rights, a1 did over 400m in DVD sales domestically alone

Interesting that the studios volunteered killing their own ancillary revenue stream, but I guess they felt Netflix forced their hand.

4 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Interesting that the studios volunteered killing their own ancillary revenue stream, but I guess they felt Netflix forced their hand.

Frozen is staying the best selling Bluray release of all time at this rate. Physical media is dead.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:33 AM, JustLurking said:

@Porthos can I kindly ask for your analysis here? I can't find a reliable source for it and you're probably the most knowledgeable on the forum regarding this matter.

On 8/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, Porthos said:

Outside of my wheelhouse, sorry.  @Potiki is probably better regarding something like this.  Obviously good no matter how its sliced, but I would be curious to know how physical sales went for it, since that historically was the money maker before VOD came into the picture.

Sorry if I'm late and someone else already worked this out but I'm assuming this was using the fact that it on track to be the highest grossing digital release for Disney domestically and tried to extract global numbers from that, although not sure were they get the $1B+ for Endgame either. 

Screen-Shot-2023-08-19-at-3-23-50-PM.png

Source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2023/08/Q3_FY23_Earnings_Presentation.pdf (page 5)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I highly recommend any Avatar fan to watch this week's episode of Harley Quinn 😁

spoil me please

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

spoil me please

The episode title is: The Most Culturally Impactful Film Franchise of All Time

It follows Harley and Ivy traveling to the future and their daughter is named Neytiri. It's quite good

39 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I didn't realize Avatar 2 had RT score of only 76%, I thought it was 80%+ like the first one. Why didn't critics like it as much as the original, I found it significantly better except for the soundtrack.

Because this time some of the critics thought it would make them cool to jump on the chooo choooo hatehypetrain.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

kinda wild that avatar 2 is only the 5th movie in terms of tickets sold (dom) post-covid

bit disappointing when seen like that 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/31/2023 at 11:13 PM, interiorgatordecorator said:

kinda wild that avatar 2 is only the 5th movie in terms of tickets sold post-covid

That is for sure not true globally, right.

Next time US needs to be more like Canada but who knows.

Edited by Jiffy
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 5:43 PM, Bob Train said:

I didn't realize Avatar 2 had RT score of only 76%, I thought it was 80%+ like the first one. Why didn't critics like it as much as the original, I found it significantly better except for the soundtrack.

A lot of the positive reviews, and some of the negative reviews actually, say the film is better then the orig film.

For whatever reason reviwers were harsher with the film. Some think becuase of Camerons comments about Marvel before release.

Edited by stuart360

On 9/2/2023 at 11:03 AM, Jiffy said:

That is for sure not true globally, right.

Next time US needs to be more like Canada but who knows.

Yeah Avatar beat NWH in terms of tickets sold post-COVID.

On 8/31/2023 at 10:13 PM, interiorgatordecorator said:

kinda wild that avatar 2 is only the 5th movie in terms of tickets sold (dom) post-covid

The original Avatar also likely sold less tickets than something like TDK or Avengers or Jurassic World. Both Avatar movies have their gross inflated by high ATP, but doesn't take away from the impressiveness of it. 

54 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah Avatar beat NWH in terms of tickets sold post-COVID.

The original Avatar also likely sold less tickets than something like TDK or Avengers or Jurassic World. Both Avatar movies have their gross inflated by high ATP, but doesn't take away from the impressiveness of it. 

I think it beat both The Avengers and JW,  of those had years of regular inflation + massive 3D shares as well (although lesser than A1) 

Edited by Giorno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorno said:

I think it beat both The Avengers and JW,  of those had years of regular inflation + massive 3D shares as well (although lesser than A1) 

Yeah i dont really care about ticket sales, especially for the US as its all guestimates anyway but i agree that A1 def soild more tickets than Avengers and JW. Both those films came years later, had 3D (although a lower percentage than A1's 70%), and are 100-150mil behind A1 in gross, more if you include A1's total gross.

TDK is a lot hardrer to say as they relesased at a similar time, with TDK having no 3D, but grossing 217-250mil less than A1 depending on orig gross or total gross. Its def a coin toss between TDK and A1.

Worldwide its not evena  contest, A1 destroys them all.

I have a bad feeling about this game. Ubisoft seems very cagey in terms of sharing uninterupted gameplay of someone playing the game. It's all carefuly curated footage. Bad sign. Plus there were rumors about the state of the game.

Edited by Elessar