Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I'll take 10 years of Cameron doing other kinds of movies over any Avatar movies anyway. Avatar is going to ruin Cameron like how Star Wars ruined Lucas' career as a director.

No shit, Mr. Exposition-spewer.

Although, i don't see the exact thing happen here, though. The difference between the Avatar-sequels and the SW-movies you mentioned.....those are prequels. And the Avatar-sequels won't have characters like Jar Jar Binks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I'll take 10 years of Cameron doing other kinds of movies over any Avatar movies any day. Avatar is going to ruin Cameron like how Star Wars ruined Lucas' career as a director.

[mod edit: surely you can find a better way to say this?]

While it's understandable to view things purely from a fan perspective, that's not the right approach (IMO). Cameron is spending years of his life playing in a universe he created and fully owns (for the first time in his career). It's a universe he loves and is deeply passionate about, and one he finds incredibly fulfilling. Who are we to say this is a time-waster?

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm just not a fan of Avatar and will never be. Cameron can do better, this is the guy that gave us Terminator 2 and True Lies.

Cameron already did better. 2 of the current highest grossing films of all times, remember?

And btw, you speak in monotone, again, lol. :P

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

While it's understandable to view things purely from a fan perspective, that's not the right approach (IMO). Cameron is spending years of his life playing in a universe he created and fully owns (for the first time in his career). It's a universe he loves and is deeply passionate about, and one he finds incredibly fulfilling. Who are we to say this is a time-waster?

Just call me selfish, but I wanted more Cameron films that didn't have blue people in them. I get he wants to do these movies, and hope he didn't let the pressure from FOX influence him in any way to do these sequels merely because of how much money they made. Will I see Avatar 2? Maybe, if I read from reviews that the writing for the characters have been greatly improved.

I felt bad for Lucas, because it felt like he was struggling really hard to finish his prequel trilogy, just to make the "fans" happy. He seems like a happier guy now that he sold the SW rights to Disney, and we are getting more SW movies so its a win win for everyone. I found TFA to be bland, but maybe the new writers for VIII can do better.

Edited by Mojoguy

2 hours ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

While it's understandable to view things purely from a fan perspective, that's not the right approach (IMO). Cameron is spending years of his life playing in a universe he created and fully owns (for the first time in his career). It's a universe he loves and is deeply passionate about, and one he finds incredibly fulfilling. Who are we to say this is a time-waster?

Plus he's done a little deep sea diving on the side.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

It is great for him personally and all, but the art and film world will have missed out in a big way due to one of the most talented filmmakers of all time spending all of his efforts on Avatar.  

• Like 3

I liked but didn't love Avatar but I agree that if James Cameron thinks we need 4 more Avatars, then we need 4 more Avatars. This isn't the studio machine demanding sequels or a money hungry director who just wants easy money. Cameron is a billionaire, he probably wipes his ass with dollar bills and I'm pretty sure no studio can't force Cameron do anything he doesn't want to.

I'm just glad he is still directing instead of retiring to be an explorer or some other hobby for billionaires. Because he could have done that instead of Avatar sequels.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're joking right, he is pushing boundaries in realism. Look at her skin, this is why you have people thinking it's an animatronic.

I'll give you that, but the movement looks fake and robotic, nothing like the (IMO) groundbreaking CGI of the first film.