Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Well, none of us are likely to be around in a hundred  years.

Life will go on.

Humankind will go on.

The current civilizations maybe won't.

It all ends with the heat death of universe anyway, assuming someone manage to survive the sun roasting the Earth long before.

4 minutes ago, Hunch said:

The only people who are really aware or care about the long-term effects of climate change are educated people in first world countries.

Not sure about that (what is your source ?)

1) Negative Effect of climate change started earlier in many non first world countries and are usually bigger.

2) Outside first world countries a giant % of the population are farmer or have other form of making a living directly from nature and know/follow/directly feel climate related news quite more than the average first worlder, if they are not farmer they often have one in the family or know some.

For example:

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2019/02/10/climate-change-still-seen-as-the-top-global-threat-but-cyberattacks-a-rising-concern/pg_2019-02-10_global-threats-2018_0-13-2/

PG_2019-02-10_Global-Threats-2018_0-13-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_opinion_by_country

% of people very concerned that climate change will harm me personally:

Latin America: 63%

Africa: 61%

Asia-Pacific: 37%

Europe: 27%

Middle east" 27%

US: 30%

Climate change is a serious problem

Africa: 61%

Latin America: 74%

US: 45%

Europe: 54%

Percentage of each country polled who agree with : Climate change is a serious problem

Brazil 86%
Burkina Faso 79%
Chile 77%
India 76%
Uganda 76%
Peru 75%

Russia 33%
Ukraine 29%
Pakistan 29%
Israel 24%
Poland 19%
China 18%

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

So that's how you sleep at night. You choose to be blind to what climate science is telling us. As I said previously, I wasn't talking about population changes, I was talking about an individuals' moral choice when having children. I merely pointed out that I could not bring a child into the world knowing full well that in the next 20-30 years they're in for a very rough time, to put it mildly. My generation has done so much damage to this planet, I really couldn't see something I love hurtling towards what I know will be a very bleak future given current trends.

It's all theoretical anyway, I didn't realize it at the time but being gay ended up being more of a blessing than I could have ever hoped for, saved me those hard choices.  

I agree with your sentiment tbh, I think you have to be sort of messed in the head nowadays to wants kids or some kind of sadist. It's like knowing cigarettes are killing you, we in the west know that civilization is really in for some real shit in the next 30 years who wants to put a kid into that? 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

49 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

I agree with your sentiment tbh, I think you have to be sort of messed in the head nowadays to wants kids or some kind of sadist. It's like knowing cigarettes are killing you, we in the west know that civilization is really in for some real shit in the next 30 years who wants to put a kid into that? 

Yep. I mean, I don't think you have to be a sadist (maybe you're being tongue in cheek anyway) but it's how I feel in general. I'm not bringing any kids into this world. No siree.

48 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

Because one obviously has hope for the future. This whole woah is me, let's just give up on life is because it will suck later is similar to the attitude for this who commit suicide. No thanks. I don't subscribe to that, you can feel free to but I hope not.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Because one obviously has hope for the future. This whole woah is me, let's just give up on life is because it will suck later is similar to the attitude for this who commit suicide. No thanks. I don't subscribe to that, you can feel free to but I hope not.

Yeah, you're right actually. It's a crappy attitude to have. I guess it's a bit of a defense mechanism for people to cope with all the crap nowadays. In moments of weakness some of us tend to have those woe is me moments you mentioned. I don't think it represents how most of us are constantly feeling every minute of every day though. It's an emotional thing.

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, you're right actually. It's a crappy attitude to have. I guess it's a bit of a defense mechanism for people to cope with all the crap nowadays. In moments of weakness some of us tend to have those woe is me moments you mentioned. I don't think it represents how most of us are constantly feeling every minute of every day though. It's an emotional thing.

I get it and it pisses me off that so few take it seriously. That said I'm gonna try to live my life as best I can and raise a good kid. All I can do. Hopefully when stuff really starts to hit the fan people come together. We need everyone working together and we will need to see much much worse before peoplw commit.

• Like 2

weather has been good this first half of summer in California.

whatever modifiers they put up in those clouds must be working well, but we'll see how scorching it gets in August/September.  *fingers crossed*

If it isn't temperature, it's climate.  If it isn't climate in the next 20-30 years, it's....

have we seen historic highs this summer?  are we actually modifying temperature?  it's too hot and we need to mass migrate, especially the strays.

13 hours ago, Thomas Beck said:

Well, none of us are likely to be around in a hundred  years.

Life will go on.

Humankind will go on.

The current civilizations maybe won't.

It all ends with the heat death of universe anyway, assuming someone manage to survive the sun roasting the Earth long before.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html Civilization most certainly won't go on. I implore everyone to read David Ws book that this article sparked. 

9 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Read the article I posted. Of course we should have hope, but there's also being naive in the face of the evidence. 

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Terraformation is where it's at folks.

One of the suggestions I have heard is pumping sulfur into the atmosphere on purpose to reflect more sunlight and artificially cool the planet. That would work, but boy would that level of terraforming cause so many more problems in itself, but it would give us some more time at the very least. 

• Like 1

Nothing is certain, swearing off having children isn't a guarantee of being a positive step long term. Maybe the kid that someone has will be the one to make a discovery that saves the planet or a realistic way to reach a different habitable one. 

Also, most importantly, they can experience the beautiful world Cameron has created in Avatar and help contribute to the series breaking box office records in the future!

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

1) Negative Effect of climate change started earlier in many non first world countries and are usually bigger.

2) Outside first world countries a giant % of the population are farmer or have other form of making a living directly from nature and know/follow/directly feel climate related news quite more than the average first worlder, if they are not farmer they often have one in the family or know some.

Thanks for this post Barnack, informative as always, I hadn't seen this research but I'll certainly be quoting it more from now on!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/07/extreme-heat-to-affect-millions-of-americans/ 

https://time.com/5629548/almost-30000-species-face-extinction-new-report/

More articles to be hopeful about. 

• Astonished 1

All temps in (C) - 

+ 0.0°C = History of Human Civilization
+ 0.5°C = Safe Limit
+ 1.0°C = Massive Die-off of Insects & Animals, Increasingly Severe Weather Events, Huge Forest Fires, Massive Flooding, Droughts, Increasing Societal Destabilization, Increasing Disease, Lowering Life-Spans, Feedback Loops (Ocean Collapse, Permafrost Melt, etc) Triggered, (all happening now) 
+ 1.5°C = Increasingly Extreme Weather, Increasing Crop Failures, Increasing Forest Burn-off 
+ 2.0°C = Increasing Violence & Societal Breakdown, Re-introduction of Ancient Plagues Thawed from Permafrost 
+ 2.5°C = Severe Environmental Collapse, Long Humid Heat Waves Which Kill even Healthy People within Hours, Completely Unstable Food Production, Fish-free Oceans, Mass Starvation, Global Transition from Living to Surviving 
+ 3.0°C = Increasingly Hellish Conditions, Dead Oceans, Complete Forest Burn-Off, Pets & Wildlife likely already Hunted to Extinction 
+ 3.5°C = Apocalyptic Collapse of Organized Society
+ 4.0°C = Human Survival Unlikely 
+ 5.0°C = Human Extinction Very Certain, Likelihood of Permanent Environment Burn-off to non-life supporting Planet like Venus
+ 6.0°C = Our Current Trajectory this Century

Sources 1 2 3

If you do have children, or decide to have them, I'd advise getting them survival training classes. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

All temps in (C) - 

+ 0.0°C = History of Human Civilization
+ 0.5°C = Safe Limit
+ 1.0°C = Massive Die-off of Insects & Animals, Increasingly Severe Weather Events, Huge Forest Fires, Massive Flooding, Droughts, Increasing Societal Destabilization, Increasing Disease, Lowering Life-Spans, Feedback Loops (Ocean Collapse, Permafrost Melt, etc) Triggered, (all happening now) 
+ 1.5°C = Increasingly Extreme Weather, Increasing Crop Failures, Increasing Forest Burn-off 
+ 2.0°C = Increasing Violence & Societal Breakdown, Re-introduction of Ancient Plagues Thawed from Permafrost 
+ 2.5°C = Severe Environmental Collapse, Long Humid Heat Waves Which Kill even Healthy People within Hours, Completely Unstable Food Production, Fish-free Oceans, Mass Starvation, Global Transition from Living to Surviving 
+ 3.0°C = Increasingly Hellish Conditions, Dead Oceans, Complete Forest Burn-Off, Pets & Wildlife likely already Hunted to Extinction 
+ 3.5°C = Apocalyptic Collapse of Organized Society
+ 4.0°C = Human Survival Unlikely 
+ 5.0°C = Human Extinction Very Certain, Likelihood of Permanent Environment Burn-off to non-life supporting Planet like Venus
+ 6.0°C = Our Current Trajectory this Century

Sources 1 2 3

If you do have children, or decide to have them, I'd advise getting them survival training classes. 

If this is all true (and I am not saying it isn't), shoudln't we all just commit mass suicide and be done with it?

29 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

If this is all true (and I am not saying it isn't), shoudln't we all just commit mass suicide and be done with it?

My own actuarial table gives me a 90% chance of dying prior to 2050 so I am personally not so bothered. It's the current gen and the one to come who are going to truly have the worst of it. So to answer your question - I have no reason to want to die as I won't have to personally face that. It is why I would never want to have children though. 

• Like 1

I wonder what is the cutoff date. Like if I have 90% chance of death in 2065 is it already too late and I should try to die by 2050? That’s still 30 years full of love and hapiness and it seems like it’s worth it