Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

20 hours ago, doublejack said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time Avatar was re-released in China it made something like $1.5M. Odds of retaking #1 look low.

Also, it was re-released in New Zealand in August. The total haul was $92, according to BOM.

I know you are referring BoM's number but Avatar was never re-released in any scale in China. The Jan2010 was the sole run.

I checked back the date and the news in Mandarin back in 2010, nothing was mentioned about re-release box office number except the news confirming the special edition will not be released in China.

https://ent.qq.com/a/20100710/000030.htm.       

So I have no idea how did BoM get that 1.5m although on and off , there was some special screening held on the limited basis like the one during Shanghai Film festival 2018 , where they had James Cameron's film marathon.    

21 hours ago, doublejack said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time Avatar was re-released in China it made something like $1.5M. Odds of retaking #1 look low.

Avatar has never been re-released in China, unless you're talking about the 2010 extended edition release 5 months after it initially left theaters, which is an awful comparable for obvious reasons. Edit: as above, per @titanic2187, the 2010 extended edition was never released in China - BOM's data is inaccurate.

If you want to look at potential comparables, you should be looking at how the recent Hollywood re-releases have been performing in China: the first Harry Potter, as one example, made over $27m in its re-release. If we compare this to the success of the original release, the original Harry Potter made about $7m in 2001/2 in China, and the best-performing Harry Potter movie, DH2, made about $60m in China in 2011. There are obvious market expansion and ticket price/exchange rate adjustments to consider here, but what is clear is that Avatar's $200m in 2009 is orders bigger than any Harry Potter film even after such adjustments.

So even if you don't think Avatar will perform as well in a re-release relative to its original release as Harry Potter did (and there are certainly valid reasons to believe it won't), it's extremely unlikely, and dare I say pretty much impossible, for a proper re-release of Avatar in China not to gross the $7.4m extra it needs to become the highest-grossing movie again.

21 hours ago, doublejack said:

Also, it was re-released in New Zealand in August. The total haul was $92, according to BOM.

From a single theater. I believe the planned New Zealand re-release was effectively cancelled when New Zealand went back into lockdown in the middle of last month. A movie playing in a single theater isn't a re-release.

Edited by hw64
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 5:25 PM, IronJimbo said:

@Gavin Feng

when is Avatar getting it's re-release? :D

With this pandemic thats proably delayed a bit as well. Iron jim. Good morning panderians. I am here. I suspect Avatar re release next year if enough theaters are reopened. I think around 1300-1500 theaters are open in USA. Any new numbers posted domestically for theater count s? Wishing our Avatar family blessings from the most high and stay safe. Noticed. Aquaman postponed as well and Dune till 2021 October

KalofBom

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, titanic2187 said:

Also, I just realised given the Covid-19 situation, many studio are now cutting the number of big event movie or at least reluctantly green light them. Avatar 2 could have little competition in a year by 2022.  

Ahh love your picture titan fan. Yes indeed hoping we get theaters open in 2022. Avatar 2 is still my long most anticipated top law dog film to see Titanic2187. Are you going to see this one in 4dx? This is my plan and for some reason I still think Avatar 2 will take the box office to new heights yet again. Lets rock..4dx combine with Cameron's all new tech and movie sequences going to make the other films get chewed up and used as ju ju beans!! Colonel Quadrix approves this message! Lol💪

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, Alexdube said:

Cameron did an interview with Arnold

They are 100% done with the live-action shooting on Avatar 2 and around 95% done on Avatar 3

the bit about Avatar is around 9:41:

Thanks for post Alex. Will check it out.

Here are some of the early predicts so far. Everyone please help me update👍

Kal...1.12b dom, 3.8b OS( Really would love Avatar2 to hit 1bil to 1.2 bil or

Better from China alone)

4.8B WW

Ncsoft... 3.7Bww

Jimbo...1.3B dom , 

5.7b OS, 7B WW

Keysersoze123

600 Domestic /1.2B OS -C / 700M C - 2.5B WW

Pure spirit

low-end:

550M DOM

$2B OS - China

$600M China

$3.15B total, assuming significant drop off from the first after accounting for inflation plus foreign market growth

(Nice one Pure Spirit I hope

we reach your highend predict or far more fellow Pandorian)

Pure Spirits High-end :

$1B DOM

$3B OS - China

$1.1B China

$5.1B total

Charlie Jatender

China: 700 

Domestic: $500mn (The Lion King level)

Overseas: $1100mn (Slightly better than The Lion King in some markets)

China: $500mn 

Total: $2100mn.

Headshot-- 1.3 billion max. It's actually going to do even less than that.

500 OS

250 DOM

400 China 

/\ Bold on this predict😱😂

Raul B. :

$550M China

$900M OS - CHN

$2B worldwide

Jim Scholar:

domestic:

2.5b , 10B ww( wow JCS-I want your predict to happen!!)

Updated 10/07/2020

Well suffice to say I think movie theaters are going to hurt for a long time, I'm talking 5 years and then some.

No chance in hell of this hitting 3 billion but dear god be a huge successful. The world needs it. For the love of God stop delaying it

• Like 1

IMO this could get delayed further. Depends on how quickly the box office recovers. This is Disney's biggest, most valuable release that's currently scheduled (i.e. within the next 5 years). If they think it won't make its full potential in 2022 then I would expect them to move it. It's much easier to move than other movies in current ongoing franchises (which is why it's been moved so much already)

With that being said, I would think box office should be really strong in 2022. 2021 will definitely be taking a hit but vaccine will have everything sorted by some point in 2021.

The coronavirus will not be a concern in 2022; the concern will be, "do people still want to go to the cinema, now that they've experienced extended period of no cinema?" do they think they get better value by PVOD? 

Edited by Avatree