Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

How's That Stupid???? That's a smart move on Fox's Part by taking WB's playbook like what they with Gravity

The problem is not that its not necessarily a bad released date, its just the fact that the old release date was amazing. I don't feel like the film will be able to have the same kind of legs in a crowded October that it would have been able to in a practically empty December.

Oh shit, my birthday weekend. Shit just got real. After the bliss of Gravity two years ago, and Gone Girl last year, this one better not be a shit stain. I rarely get good cinema on my birthday.

Edited by Jandrew

I figured this might stay on Thanksgiving and force a few other movies to move, but this is a good switch. People will go see movies in October if it looks like it's worth it, and this should have the type of marketing that will appeal to the October crowd.

• Like 1

According to notfabio at HSX, chances of this getting IMAX are low unless The Walk moves. Zemeckis is apparently one of IMAX's favored directors.

Even if it doesn't have Imax, expect The Martian to grab most of the other PLF screens.

• Like 1

According to notfabio at HSX, chances of this getting IMAX are low unless The Walk moves. Zemeckis is apparently one of IMAX's favored directors.

I doubt Fox had or has any plans to release it in imax. They will definitely book majority of the premium large format theatres and 3D screens though.

I'm actually going to bet big on this now; it does t have Star Wars, MockingJay or Dinosaur to compete with, so lets do this Ridley!

OW - 42M

DOM - 157M

OS- 319M

WW - 476M

October as a whole this year has A LOT of potential!

Edited by DAJK

from Andy Weir's facebook

The Martian's release date has been bumped up to October 2nd. When Aditya Sood (producer of the film) emailed to let me know he said "this is the film distribution equivalent of the Rich Purnell maneuver".

Imagine being 10 years old and your parents tell you Christmas has been moved up two months. That's how I'm feeling right now. Woohoo!

Why did they move it? I can only speculate. The trailer had overwhelmingly positive feedback, so they're probably feeling confident about how the film will perform. Money now is better than money later so why not release earlier? Also, they probably didn't want to go head-to-head with Mockingjay and the new Bond film, which both release shortly before Nov 25.

Mostly, though, I suspect it's because the earlier release date puts more distance between The Martian and Star Wars, giving Watney a chance to keep your attention for longer before Han Solo gut-punches him and takes the spotlight.

Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame) has a nice long interview with Andy Weir about the book, his research, the upcoming movie, etc. (I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I'm assuming book spoilers, so beware).

So he confirmed Fox is shooting for a pg-13 rating. 

Moving the movie early is a sign of confidence (or not..) but Martian has to contend with London Has Fallen, a sequel to a surprise hit, and The Walk, which looks very interesting. Both of those movies may not be gigantic openers but they might give on-the-fence audience something else to choose. October is crowded with Pan, Steve Jobs, Crimson Peak, Bridge of Spies (Tom Hanks+ Spielberg). November is a  kill box with Spectre, Mockingly 2 & Good Dinosaur. Rings & Peanuts could be unexpected hits. Fall/Holiday is gonna be a bloodbath