MovieGuyKyle17

Wed #s Heaven 3.7, Cap2 3.5

The thing that is strange to me about the faith based films is why they don't strive for a bigger audience.  People say there is only a certain kind of audience for this but maybe that's not true.

Many of us like mob movies, but we don't think killing is right or acceptable.

Many of us like horror movies but again we don't think killing 100's of people is right or acceptable.

So why would a faith based film be relegated to just the religious sector?  I'm on the fence when it comes to religion and have no idea if I believe in God, heaven, hell, Satan and so on.  But this movie sounds interesting and I want to see it.  It doesn't matter to me that the story is about something I might not believe in, if the film is well made and acted and written, then why should it matter?

Perhaps one day, those who sign the checks in Hollywood will put a big budget and a real cast in one of these films and more people will see it. 

• Like 1

Perhaps one day, those who sign the checks in Hollywood will put a big budget and a real cast in one of these films and more people will see it. 

I agree, but from the sounds of it something like God's Not Dead actively portrayed non-believers as morons. Its agenda wasn't subtle. I won't watch Heaven Is For Real but if it has even a bit of ambiguity then good for it.

• Like 1

The thing that is strange to me about the faith based films is why they don't strive for a bigger audience.  People say there is only a certain kind of audience for this but maybe that's not true.

Many of us like horror movies but again we don't think killing 100's of people is right or acceptable.

So why would a faith based film be relegated to just the religious sector?  I'm on the fence when it comes to religion and have no idea if I believe in God, heaven, hell, Satan and so on.  But this movie sounds interesting and I want to see it.  It doesn't matter to me that the story is about something I might not believe in, if the film is well made and acted and written, then why should it matter?

I think Exodus could potentially be that film you speak of.  Noah could've been that, but Darren Aronofsky somehow managed to make a film that neither christians or non-religious could enjoy.

• Like 4

The studios are aware that orgainzed religion alienates more and more people and reveals more and more of it's fatal flaws all the time. As an out gay man and an Athiest that has taken shit for both I wouldn't go see movies like this if they paid me.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 2

Because almost all faith-based films exist essentially to promote that faith. Some are more subtle about it then others, but I feel most people don't wanna be preached to.

• Like 4

actually I thought from the look of this film, it was trying to reach a broader audience. I am a christian. so maybe I'm off, but. technically I think all Christian films try to reach a broad audience. (not just Christians) and the fact they put some real actors in this and production looks pretty decent makes me really want to see it.  

• Like 1

I agree no one wants to be preached to but how is seeing a mob movie about killing as a way to oath and honour not preaching that lifestyle?

• Like 2

I agree no one wants to be preached to but how is seeing a mob movie about killing as a way to oath and honour not preaching that lifestyle?

interesting point. but I hated Goodfellas, because somehow in a twisted way it felt to me like they were almost glorifying their lifestyle. so maybe mobster films are preachy too.

• Like 1

Coming in No. 2 on Wednesday was Marvel and Disney's Captain America 2 with $3.5 million from 3,938 theaters. The blockbuster has now earned $170.6 million domestically.

Fox's Rio 2 placed No. 3 with roughly $3 million from 3,948 locations for a North American total of nearly $70 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-christian-film-heaven-697175

• Like 5

I'm not sure I've seen a mob movie that I felt was promoting that lifestyle. It's presenting that lifestyle as it is, albeit in very stylish ways. It's also a lifestyle that very few people are actually a part of, as opposed to millions of Christians who actively try to "save souls". I don't think filmmakers are trying to recruit people into joining the mob or engaging in a life of crime..

• Like 1

Coming in No. 2 on Wednesday was Marvel and Disney's Captain America 2 with $3.5 million from 3,938 theaters. The blockbuster has now earned $170.6 million domestically.

Fox's Rio 2 placed No. 3 with roughly $3 million from 3,948 locations for a North American total of nearly $70 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-christian-film-heaven-697175

Not bad I guess. What kind of drop is that Olive? Looks like the same as Monday's number or close to it.

• Like 2

Not a bad drop at all for Caps. With some professionals and many students off Friday, will it see an increase in sales today?

I don't know but I'll be seeing it again today.

• Like 5