grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

6 hours ago, Eric is a furry said:

Okay but like Joker and Black Panther were still socially and politically conscious features, which helped give them legitimacy as highbrow fare, and were both two of the highest-grossing films in history with significant box office milestones that made them the events of their year.

The closest thing a Barbie movie could have from a "social" perspective, from what I can see, would probably be mocking its toy commercial existence a la Lego Movie and maybe a few feminist ideals, but I doubt it'll be anything super dramatic or profound, and more just satirical, funny gags. And I doubt it's making a billion dollars. I love Greta Gerwig too, but I feel like you guys are setting yourself up for disappointment if you honestly think this has any Oscar chances.

She was the 2nd woman to have 2 films nominated for BP. With the cast and crew, I'm just saying ruling any movie out of consideration is foolish. WB has proven to be a very reliable studio (Mad Max) and if the hype delivers, well.. it would at very least do well with Globes (should they happen) and guilds

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Not much is known about this at the moment but a Joker comparison doesn't make sense at all unless this is taking a much darker route than indicated (lol a "gritty" Barbie movie). All the early details indicate this is a fish-out-of-water comedy in the heartwarming Elf/Enchanted mold and I highly doubt a holiday release (or any release date, tbh) would solidify it as a certified awards player.

Those details are not true based on what I've heard

A Barbie movie getting big oscar noms lol. This isn't getting Little Women/Lady Bird reviews even if its great, a lot of reviewers will be biased and ready to treat it as fluff no matter how fresh Greta's take is gonna be.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

A Barbie movie getting big oscar noms lol. This isn't getting Little Women/Lady Bird reviews even if its great, a lot of reviewers will be biased and ready to treat it as fluff no matter how fresh Greta's take is gonna be.

Not sure why people here live in some strange narrow-minded shadow

I love Greta and this obviously ain't winning BP... but we have literally no idea what movies are even coming in 2023..so this definitive stance is just weird to me. If people like a movie, it'll be pushed! How far is a different question, but there'll be some campaign... Especially if it's a hit and well-received which odds are likely for this one

the imdb page says: 

A doll living in 'Barbieland' is expelled for not being perfect enough and sets off on an adventure in the real world. A Live-action feature film based on the popular line of Barbie toys.

That sounds a bit dangerous, hope it remembers its a kids franchise and does not get involved with any explicitly-sexual-politics

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

On 4/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, YourMother said:

I think if Batgirl is theatrical next year, it’ll take the mid November slot so probably Summer for Barbie, guessing the Mother’s Day slot or move Coyote vs Acme to later in the fall and it takes its July spot.

Called it.

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the imdb page says: 

A doll living in 'Barbieland' is expelled for not being perfect enough and sets off on an adventure in the real world. A Live-action feature film based on the popular line of Barbie toys.

That sounds a bit dangerous, hope it remembers its a kids franchise and does not get involved with any explicitly-sexual-politics

That's outdated. That was the logline when Amy Schumer was playing Barbie. The movie has changed 3 times since then.

• Like 2