grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

19 minutes ago, Coneilg93 said:

Damn, Barbie is still trending #1 lol Anyone think WB picked the same release date as Nolan's movie on purpose? 

No, it seems like the perfect season for a Barbie movie, it just happens that Nolan also loves July 

And tbh i think both movies will benefit from the competition, of course just one of them will be at the top [i suspect it will be Barbie], but Nolan does have a strong fanbase that i´m betting will support Oppenheimer aggresively trying to top Barbie

Kinda like what happened when Kanye West and 50 Cent decided to drop their albuns on the same date to see who wons, fans was very engaged in the competition and both ended up selling more than predicted 

I can see Barbie doing 75-85M and Oppenheimer 50-55M, amazing for both, everyone wins

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Wait waaaa? Please explain what The Quorum is. I didn't know that interest was low. 😭

https://thequorum.com/

It's generally been a solid correlation in terms of how high the numbers are vs. how high the opening goes, though it's still very, very early for Barbie and the needle can change drastically. It's best to wait two months before release or sooner before making major proclamations.

46 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

it´s a pg-13 movie, they´re not aiming innocent kids 

To be fair, there's nothing kid-alienating about the marketing so far either, especially when this colorful trailer is likely to be seen in front of many children at Mario this weekend (the timing of the release certainly indicates such). Imagine it won't take much for the MPA to give the "beach you off" innuendo here a pass when they've done it with many other PG-rated movies (both live-action and animated) in the past, since the punchline to the joke is clearly supposed to be "these living dolls can't say bad words" anyway.

Reminds me of all the reports of Scooby-Doo 2002 having a lot of raunchy material at the test screenings and none of it making the final movie back in the day lol.

The fact this trailer trended all day indicates there's definitely a lot of interest. WB even changed the banners across all their social media platforms to this movie and it's still more than three months away. One can't say that they have no or little confidence in it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, there's nothing kid-alienating about the marketing so far either, especially when this colorful trailer is likely to be seen in front of many children at Mario this weekend (the timing of the release certainly indicates such). Imagine it won't take much for the MPA to give the "beach you off" innuendo here a pass when they've done it with many other PG-rated movies (both live-action and animated) in the past, since the punchline to the joke is clearly supposed to be "these living dolls can't say bad words" anyway.

Reminds me of all the reports of Scooby-Doo 2002 having a lot of raunchy material at the test screenings and none of it making the final movie back in the day lol.

The fact this trailer trended all day indicates there's definitely a lot of interest. WB even changed the banners across all their social media platforms to this movie and it's still more than three months away. One can't say that they have no or little confidence in it.

Agreed, i don´t think there´s anything remotely offensive about it, but since someone bring the discussion i though it was worthy to mentioned it´s a pg-13 movie afterall 

And yes, the marketing campaign has been stellar, i remember when the set photos was going viral and some people was thinking if the hype would peak too early, but WB is doing a good job keeping the momentum, teaser did very well and now the poster is a sensation and the trailer is huge, it trended all day really high 

I was 100% on board with this until we got to the “Real World” implications to which I groaned. Girl, I don’t want to see Barbie in the real world. 

I’m a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Life in plastic, it’s fantastic.

7 hours ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Barbie's a property aimed at 5-year-old girls, which means it has a major uphill battle appealing to adults.

Giiiirl. 

First off, unless it’s a baby or a Skippee doll, I’m not giving a Barbie to a five-year-old. There’s too many choking hazard pieces.

Second off, every little girl for the past 60 years has played with a Barbie. And if they didn’t play with the Barbie, they played off of the knock off version of a Barbie, and they still called it a Barbie. The brand recognition on this is super high.

Third, have you ever met the adult toy Collector market? The idea that Barbie only appeals to children is lol. like come to Comic Con and see the Mattel booth on preview night. Madness. And there’s not five year olds there.

and now I’m gonna go back to playing with my virtual dolls

• Like 2

Couple of observations:

1. The meme marketing strategy for this is genuinely fascinating, and the level and success they’re doing it at will be a textbook example for future media studies. 

2. Absolutely nothing so far has made me laugh. At the moment it’s more like performance art than comedy to me. Which isn’t necessarily a criticism. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

its a site that tracks awareness and interest. That said its too early to call they are uber accurate in predicting BO success or failure. One just have to look at numbers for Shabomb as something it got completely wrong 🙂

:hahaha:

Thank you! Lifted my spirits!

@Eric is Gay for Bowser Thanks for the link! :)

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Couple of observations:

1. The meme marketing strategy for this is genuinely fascinating, and the level and success they’re doing it at will be a textbook example for future media studies. 

2. Absolutely nothing so far has made me laugh. At the moment it’s more like performance art than comedy to me. Which isn’t necessarily a criticism. 

I don't think they're really doing meme marketing, the memes are organic.

12 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I don't think they're really doing meme marketing, the memes are organic.

WB probably hoped the posters would inspire parodies/memes, but it's not something they can count on in advance. You never know if your target audience will consider what you're selling "cringe" or if social media will be preoccupied by some other pop culture story at the time.

People are very familiar with Barbies but will they be nostalgic or like the movie's tone? How much of the meme audience will translate to box office?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

WB probably hoped the posters would inspire parodies/memes, but it's not something they can count on in advance. You never know if your target audience will consider what you're selling "cringe" or if social media will be preoccupied by some other pop culture story at the time.

People are very familiar with Barbies but will they be nostalgic or like the movie's tone? How much of the meme audience translate to box office?

Yeah, that's what Universal's CMO said when accepting praise for M3gan's viral social media waves (not sure if this is interesting/insightful or utterly banal). There's nothing too newsworthy in that podcast interview but it's an interesting look at viral social media marketing for a film. 

• Thanks 1