grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

The Last Duel is another one from a few years back that somehow managed to avoid getting a bunch of 'lol go woke go broke' youtube videos hurled at it despite being a mega-bomb and that movie absolutely lampoons systemic patriarchy and misogyny(though not in a cheesy or stupid way).

What a great movie that was. As you say, it went about its themes so smartly and with such nuance. I can perfectly understand why it bombed - but at the same time it makes me sad.

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Well, this might be why some of the test screening reports were so bad...

#ReleaseTheFartOperaCut

Seriously, how much would the addition of a Fart Opera have changed Barbie's box office? Most pivotal edit of a box office phenomenon since Cameron scrapped that bit with Old Rose in Titanic?

I was at the very first test screening. This scene was absent. And the movie played well

Just now, vale9001 said:

Just realized (if everything goes right with the strike) The fall guy comes on 1 March 2024 and main actors are Gosling and Blunt, so a piece of barbeinhmer. That definitely will give some meme to it.

Also both could be nominated as supporting actors (the movie comes the week before the ceremony). 

They were filming that at the same place at my formal, hoping drunk me can make an appearance in the final product. 

• Haha 1

Looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. I just turned on the LPGA Evian Championship and everything is BARBIE pink and white. The stands, flags, the vests the officials and caddies are wearing and even the graphics when describing yardage and green contours is pink and white, but no actual Barbie ads that I can see.

Warner Bros's Press Release (Japan)

F2-Wtcjdb-YAEu2-IA.jpg

Spoiler

About SNS posting of the movie "Barbie"

Currently, I recommend watching both the movie "Barbie" (Distributor: Warner Bros.) and the movie "OPPENHEIMER" (Distributor: Universal Pictures), both released in the United States on July 21. There is an overseas fan movement (#Barbenheimer), but this movement and activity is not official.

On the other hand, we consider it extremely regrettable that the official account of the American headquarters for the movie "Barbie" reacted to the social media postings of fans caused by this movement, and we take this situation very seriously, we are asking the US headquarters to take appropriate action.

We apologize to those who were offended by this series of inconsiderate reactions.

Warner Bros. Japan 

Fart Opera would've been fun and fine. It's not like Blazing Saddles doesn't have widespread farting and it was an admissions monster at the box office. It's not like Despicable Me and Minions movies don't have farting featured in each one somewhat prevalently. A shame she didn't keep it in the final cuts. Wonder what other fun stuff she decided to cut? 

On 7/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, The Dark Alfred said:

Second viewing done. Such a fun film. Amazing direction, I can see Greata doing action in the future. Writing has some issues, it's not a great script but everything else (production, acting, music) makes up for it.

Try to remember any, even brief, moment of memorable action in the movie aside from a chase scene that felt like something out of a 90s sitcom.

I'm sure we'll all get a good look at how she stages action when she releases these Narnia movies she's tied to...

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Try to remember any, even brief, moment of memorable action in the movie aside from a chase scene that felt like something out of a 90s sitcom.

I'm sure we'll all get a good look at how she stages action when she releases these Narnia movies she's tied to...

I didn't say it had memorable action. I said I can sense that she could be good at it. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I saw a lot of great choreography and scene composition that implies Greta could make a great action film. Plus that chase scene was supposed to feel like something of out a 90s sitcom. It would be out of place to shoot something with the intensity of TDK or Matrix Reloaded chase scenes in context of the movie. 

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Warner Bros's Press Release (Japan)

F2-Wtcjdb-YAEu2-IA.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

For WB the first rule about Barbenheimer is you don't talk about Barbenheimer. The second rule about fight club is you DONT talk about Barbenheimer.

People get mad they think a meme is invented by studio and not fans, and they will try to tear it apart or find a way to be offended like some ridiculous people in Japan. WB just shouldn't have said anything, let fans and the media do the work of hyping the film.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fanboy said:

I saw a lot of great choreography and scene composition that implies Greta could make a great action film. Plus that chase scene was supposed to feel like something of out a 90s sitcom. It would be out of place to shoot something with the intensity of TDK or Matrix Reloaded chase scenes in context of the movie. 

It's a comedy scene in a comedy. Very well directed btw.

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Something really funny about the fact that the entire nation of Japan didn't know about the Barbenheimer thing until like today.

I am explaining this through out the day. Now early morning too.. won't go in deep just in pictures - Hope it helps //

F2-Xn-P0-AXAAA8e6-O.jpg

F2-Xn-J7-UWs-AMD10-R.jpg

Are we seeing the Barbie core demographic flocking to Oppenheimer? That would be so cool to see. LOL

After watching Oppenheimer a 3rd time, I saw a number of young women leaving the showing as well. Made me chuckle thinking they were taking part in 'Barbenheimer.' 

(of course they could just be interested in the subject matter but that was the less fun mental exercise)

Edited by lilmac