grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

18 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Merchandising caused the drop out :rofl:

Sony needed to stick to its June 29, 2018 release date since Mattel already has merchandise and product cycles in motion–shifting the production to accommodate Schumer would have put on a strain on other partners on the film, according to insiders.

“We respect and support Amy’s decision,” a spokesperson for Sony said in a statement. “We look forward to bringing Barbie to the world and sharing updates on casting and filmmakers soon.”

• Like 1

From NYT

Ms. Pascal thinks she has finally cracked “Barbie” as a live-action comedy; negotiations are underway with an Oscar-winning actress for the tonally tricky title role. 

Looking at the past decade of Best actress and Best supporting actress doesn't show anyone who can be a potential Schumer replacement based on the storyline. Maybe they got Nyong'o and the story is changed to acceptance of different skin colors? Or is that too much for a Barbie movie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

From NYT

Looking at the past decade of Best actress and Best supporting actress doesn't show anyone who can be a potential Schumer replacement based on the storyline. Maybe they got Nyong'o and the story is changed to acceptance of different skin colors? Or is that too much for a Barbie movie.

My first thought went to Emma Stone (who I don't think has anything in the pipeline other than the already-made Battle of the Sexes) since Brie Larson is shooting Captain Marvel soon I think.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My first thought went to Emma Stone (who I don't think has anything in the pipeline other than the already-made Battle of the Sexes) since Brie Larson is shooting Captain Marvel soon I think.

That would be a 180 from the original plot

Schumer will play a character who lives in Barbieland, among all of the various Barbie characters beloved by collectors. In a fish out of water story reminiscent of films like Splash and Big, she gets kicked out, basically because she’s not perfect enough and is a bit eccentric. She then goes on an adventure in the real world and by the time she returns to Barbieland to save it, she has gained the realization that perfection comes on the inside, not the outside, and that the key to happiness is belief in one self, free of trying to adhere to some unattainable standard of perfection.

Maybe redheads are discriminated against?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That would be a 180 from the original plot

Maybe redheads are discriminated against?

Stone is a blonde in real life. I guess she could keep her red hair for this if she does it.

But yeah, other than her and Larson (cause lol at the notion of JLaw doing this) I don't know who they could be referring to.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harley said:

Why would they get Stone? It makes no sense considering what the plot of the movie is. Amy was a perfect fit.  Stone or anyone like her would ruin the whole thing.

The list of things Emma Stone would ruin is a very short one.

The script/story-line will probably be re-written to some degree.

3 minutes ago, Wrath said:

The list of things Emma Stone would ruin is a very short one.

The script/story-line will probably be re-written to some degree.

Then don't make the movie.  Maybe Stone can play an Asian again since it worked so well the first time.

Edited by Harley