CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Here are my first impressions:

That was a ton of fun. Very enjoyable. Insane visuals. The landscape they used is just amazing. The cinematography is just great as well. The action itself is very easy to follow, and unlike cough cough Godzilla, you actually see the monsters (a lot more than I thought). Really liked the use of color.

How's the pacing? Perfect amount for an action movie. Never had 2 hours fly by so quickly. The fights lets just say escalated as each one happened. Kong himself was marvelous to see on big screen and is never overused or hidden. 

Human characters themselves? Hiddleston and Larson was good. Jackson was okay I guess, not really impressed by his character. Reilly was great. The movie has humor and one-liners to sort of relieve the tension after brutal fights. 

And yes, stay for post-credits scene. I honestly had no idea there was one till my friend was like "STAY IN YOUR SEAT" to me.

Reveal hidden contents

Probably one of my favorite giant monster movies if not the favorite. Highly recommend seeing this if you're a fan of the genre. Certainly an awesome way to kill time. I will definitely see this again as soon as possible. 

A-

Disclaimer. I'm biased and I love giant monster movies.

:jeb!:

Great to hear! Without spoilers, was the story decent?

Edited by Lavochkin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

That was a ton of fun. Very enjoyable. Insane visuals. The landscape they used is just amazing. The cinematography is just great as well. The action itself is very easy to follow, and unlike cough cough Godzilla, you actually see the monsters (a lot more than I thought). Really liked the use of color.

How's the pacing? Perfect amount for an action movie. Never had 2 hours fly by so quickly. The fights lets just say escalated as each one happened. Kong himself was marvelous to see on big screen and is never overused or hidden. 

Human characters themselves? Hiddleston and Larson was good. Jackson was okay I guess, not really impressed by his character. Reilly was great. The movie has humor and one-liners to sort of relieve the tension after brutal fights. 

And yes, stay for post-credits scene. I honestly had no idea there was one till my friend was like "STAY IN YOUR SEAT" to me.

Reveal hidden contents

Probably one of my favorite giant monster movies if not the favorite. Highly recommend seeing this if you're a fan of the genre. Certainly an awesome way to kill time. I will definitely see this again as soon as possible. 

A-

DpB9NBjny7jF1pd0yt2.gif

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Lavochkin said:

Great to hear! Without spoilers, was the story decent?

It was okay. I'd imagine the trailer does a good job of showing most of it. Ain't exactly complicated. If you're expecting an entertaining monster movie, I doubt you'll be disappointed. 

Was worried about the beginning part for a bit, but Kong thankfully spends the rest of the movie fighting monsters instead of humans. But not a fan of the final "villain".

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

It was okay. I'd imagine the trailer does a good job of showing most of it. Ain't exactly complicated. If you're expecting an entertaining monster movie, I doubt you'll be disappointed. 

Reveal hidden contents

So is it a better or worse film than Godzilla?

6 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Oh you meant 1080p not GTX 1080 graphics card?

Haha no, I know you were messing with me too.

6 hours ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

You don't need a powerful graphics card to play YouTube videos lol... that's not how graphics processing works

No you don't, but good graphics cards help with the 720 and 1080 resolution...if you're running an outdated PC like me lol.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Reveal hidden contents

A-

Yay! Happy to hear this especially after seeing the new trailers for both Alien and Guardians Vol. 2. All three are on my most anticipated of 2017 list but this by far has the best trailer. Glad to hear it's fun from you and think if the reviews are strong, this could be a movie that might not open huge, but could be a crowd pleaser.

Edited by somebody85

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Reveal hidden contents

A-

This sound great, thanks for the review.

Also, I only signed up here because of your BvS review which I found on a DC sub on reddit, when I was desperate for any info. So double thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking we'll be hearing more reviews like that today and tomorrow.

I really do think this last minute push by WB has made a positive impact. The new trailer is going on 4m views on WBs YouTube page.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Hide contents

EPIC. Lets just say it set ups for a certain monster heh.

A-

How was Goodman? And what is in the post credits scene?

1 hour ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

This sound great, thanks for the review.

Also, I only signed up here because of your BvS review which I found on a DC sub on reddit, when I was desperate for any info. So double thanks!

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Reveal hidden contents

A-

@Gokira2012

10 hours ago, somebody85 said:

You don't think the CGI looks good? I'm watching the trailers on a PC with a 1080 graphics card and they look pretty flawless. I'm usually one of the first to point out bad CGI too. This looks really expensive.

I feel like we're way past the point where anyone's particularly impressed by CGI in movies. With the progress of technology it's taken as read now.

Good art direction is another matter, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Reveal hidden contents

A-

good tto hear, but I am afraid boxoffice will be opposite. As long as it makes enough for that g/k mashup.

• Like 1

John Campea and his movie talk crew on collider, saw Kong last night, and i mean who wouldn't they have 250 advanced screenings, anyway they could not say anything, but alluded to the fact that the movie is mixed, some good things about the movie and some bad parts

no buzz + mixed movie = bad  box office

9 hours ago, Cookson said:

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking we'll be hearing more reviews like that today and tomorrow.

I really do think this last minute push by WB has made a positive impact. The new trailer is going on 4m views on WBs YouTube page.

Agreed. The movie may not open to huge numbers, but I have to think this trailer has made an impact and boosted its chances. Nearly 4 million views in 2 days, when the last Kong trailer has 2.6 million views after 3 months. It has definitely caught on.

I'm excited for the movie. It looks like a lot of fun, and gives me a very retro, Apocalypse Now kind of vibe. I've seen at least a couple people compare this with Independence Day: Resurgence, and that is such a bizarre comparison to me. IDR looked like garbage from the first trailer onward - Kong doesn't give me anywhere near the putrid vibe IDR gave me.

Peace,

Mike

2 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

John Campea and his movie talk crew on collider, saw Kong last night, and i mean who wouldn't they have 250 advanced screenings, anyway they could not say anything, but alluded to the fact that the movie is mixed, some good things about the movie and some bad parts

no buzz + mixed movie = bad  box office

Have you gotten this desperate that you're actually gonna listen to John fucking Campea?

• Like 6