CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Who does these days?

We've had this conversation a million times.  The movie star is mostly a thing of the past now.  But you still need recognizable names to make your film at least interesting.  Would Kong still sell if Zoey Deutch, Colin Farrel, Dennis Haysbert, John carroll Lynch and Jason Segal replaced the cast they have now?  Good question, right?

At this point, it's not entirely clear that it's selling with its current cast.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Who does these days?

We've had this conversation a million times.  The movie star is mostly a thing of the past now.  But you still need recognizable names to make your film at least interesting.  Would Kong still sell if Zoey Deutch, Colin Farrel, Dennis Haysbert, John carroll Lynch and Jason Segal replaced the cast they have now?  Good question, right?

Agreed. :)

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, davincicode1 said:

Yeah, when white people cannot successfully open a movie even when their life depended on it but regardless of that continue receive all the offers in the world. POC don't have that privilege.

You're not wrong there, you really aren't, and I understand some of your concerns... but that kind of doesn't fit here

Outside of Avengers and Thor 1 and 2 (and even there he was second fiddle), has Hiddleston opened up a movie to big numbers just because he was there? Outside of Goodman and Jackson, arguably 90% of this cast are people who can't successfully open a movie.

There's no (human) character posters because very few of us are here to see someone play a scientist or a soldier just because they're them. And I say that as someone who is. People are here for monsters.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I've seen the movie, Brie Larson is the female lead which is why she's featured heavily in the marketing. The other girl doesn't really do anything in the movie, she's just as generic and forgettable as the other soldiers in the movie. I don't think Tian Jung is ever even in peril in the film expect for maybe the helicopter scene. Brie has a few chase scenes and even battles one of the creatures, she does more than most of the guys do.

@davincicode1 what was that about racism? 

The trailer in front of Logan last night got laughs, but not the good kind.  The uncomfortable, secondhand embarrassment kind.  This honestly looks like it could be junkfood kind of fun, kind of like Jurassic World, but it lacks the nostalgia factor for most people. 

• Like 1

Comparing Kong to JW

JW has much more varieties to draw wider range of audiences, male, female, parents, kids.

1. Animals characters: T-Rex+raptors+Mosasaurs+other dozens of dinosaur species> >> Kong+giant insects+ other ugly creatures.

2. Female acts: Bryce> > Brie (in terms of attractiveness to male GA)

Male acts: Patt> > Hildleston.

3. Scene locations: Vibrant theme parks > > mostly dark and dull skull island.

JW wins it all even before knowing the story. (And of course, JW story would be much better than Kong.)

Waiting for the premier in less than 20 hrs. Looking forwards to epic visuals as seen in KK 2005. But I have a feeling that the story in Kong:SI would be better than KK.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Shes not in the marketing because no one in.NA knows who she is.

You don't see Halston Sage being promoted anywhere for Before I Fall, do you? She's one of the hottest women in the world right now in my opinion but no one knows who the hell she is so why would they put her in the marketing campaign?

I did a quick research on Halston, and it turns out that she was very active through the entire promotional tour for "Before I Fall", doing dozens of interviews for various media outlets, gracing red carpets for the movie and being featured on TV-spots. Granted, the movie had very minimal promotion to begin with, so that might explain the absence of her (or the movie in general) on mainstream media. Just because her face wasn't plastered on the poster doesn't mean that she was completely absent from ANY sort of promotion.

On 3/6/2017 at 0:59 PM, davincicode1 said:

Tian Jing has a HUGE promising career as well, she has 3 blockbusters coming out this year alone.

Btw, the vast majority of English-language media sources follow Asian naming conventions for Asian names, as does Wikipedia. IMDb is a notable exception in its choice to transcribe Asian names according to Western conventions.

Spoiler

Not that that necessarily means anything. :ph34r:

Edited by Jason

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Who the fuck cares about Brie Larson? Most people don't know who the fuck she is so featuring her more prominently than a giant ape = losing money. Different story after she gets exposure with Captain Marvel (but no guarantee she'll become a legit draw, see Chris Evans/Hemsworth/etc) but right now she isn't bankable. 

The only person who gets it

All these white people get all the promo slots, all the opportunities to present movies etc. but VERY few of them are actually bankable or reliable (in terms of BO). POC very rarely obtain these slots/opportunities hence no real established "stars" amongst them and no one really knows them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Comparing Kong to JW

JW has much more varieties to draw wider range of audiences, male, female, parents, kids.

1. Animals characters: T-Rex+raptors+Mosasaurs+other dozens of dinosaur species> >> Kong+giant insects+ other ugly creatures.

2. Female acts: Bryce> > Brie (in terms of attractiveness to male GA)

Male acts: Patt> > Hildleston.

3. Scene locations: Vibrant theme parks > > mostly dark and dull skull island.

JW wins it all even before knowing the story. (And of course, JW story would be much better than Kong.)

Waiting for the premier in less than 20 hrs. Looking forwards to epic visuals as seen in KK 2005. But I have a feeling that the story in Kong:SI would be better than KK.

Lol I sort of don't want Kong to beat Godzilla 2014. Though yikes at the biggest version of this character looking to hit only 45-60m.i hope tracking is way off, but OS should be crazy helper for this.  

We will show them that Kong is king!!!?

9 minutes ago, Wrath said:

This is getting good reviews? What?

Not sure but a movie guy I like on YouTube said the kong moments are worth the ride, but he thought it could be a way better film coming from the producers of Godzilla 2014. Dude said it felt like a b movie if he too out the Kong moments. Ouch!?. I'm still excited for this film and Logan regardless.

Edited by Kalel009Shel

4 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol I sort of don't want Kong to beat Godzilla 2014. Though yikes at the biggest version of this character looking to hit only 45-60m.i hope tracking is way off, but OS should be crazy helper for this.  

We will show them that Kong is king!!!?

Uh-Oh, he's back!

• Like 1

Mods can we please get this taken care of? This thread has become exhausting. While I do think it's important to talk about racism in Hollywood because it does exist, I really don't understand what the point of the whole discussion in regards to THIS movie is. The actress in question is barely in the movie so why it's being made a big deal that she's not in the promo is beyond me especially when as others have already stated she's the least famous out of anyone in the movie anyways. It would be nice to come to this thread to discuss tracking, discuss the movie itself etc. and not have to keep talking about the race thing over and over and over again when there isn't even a race issue to begin with. 

@baumer. @Telemachos

• Like 7