CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

I really enjoyed it. The visuals are really, really good, definitely a lot better than they looked in the trailer, plus Kong is awesome and gets a lot more screen time than I expected. Outside of a couple questionable uses of slow-mo and Tom Hiddleston being a charisma vacuum, I have no glaring complaints.

2017 is on a roll so far. I've liked everything I've seen.

• Like 3

Just saw it again and I think I liked it even better the second time. The crowd I saw it with also seemed to love it, lots of reactions to humor and thrills. It was a full theater too. It was great.

I'm still so impressed with how pretty this film is, and aside from that I think the plot and characters hold up well enough on re-watch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

I found this movie to be a lot of fun actually. Its my favorite genre of course so that goes along way. I don't like saying this, but its an entetaining  "turn your brain" off movie. 

Nothing matches the 3 T-rek fight in Jacksons, but after one viewing I would have to give this the slightest of edges over King Kong 05, Jurassic World and Godzilla. Although I feel all 4 of these films are pretty close quality wise, Godzilla being last. 

King Kong 2005 peaks at a level beyond this one.  You are correct...that Trex ménage a trois is aces.  Epic.  Actually even more of Jacksons Skull Island achieves more than this one (minus the bronto scene, but otherwise the middle hour of King Kong 05 is aces, even if Brody was a douche). 

This movie gets the edge.  Hiddleston?  Not a douche.  Totally worthless though to anybody but his t-shirt.  But...fine.  Brie?  Boobs.  Jackson?  He's mad.  O'Reilly?  They're right, best human in the movie.  Monster fights without the excess?  Solid entertainment.  Monster movies are B movie fun, and this is exactly that with a mega budget.  Kowhite recommended.  Assuming you like monster shit.  If you don't?  Well, Bitch please.

• Like 4

On 12/03/2017 at 4:33 PM, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Saw it last night, it was a damn fun time at the cinema. Made me doubly excited for Kong v Godzilla, also made me more interested in Vogt-Roberts' Metal Gear Solid.

This was the post that got me to get off my butt and get a ticket. I love "good old fashioned fun time at the cinema" movies. It's how I feel about POTC as well. Sometimes I don't need a movie to impress me with its complexity. I just want to be entertained!

Seeing it tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, TelemAAchos said:

Agreed.

Some of the directing choices in Godzilla are more interesting. I like the pastiche of the 70s period in Kong a lot, but how Edwards constructed the slow burn in Godzilla is pretty keen.

However, Kong's script is better. And the actors are overall more engaging.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Some of the directing choices in Godzilla are more interesting. I like the pastiche of the 70s period in Kong a lot, but how Edwards constructed the slow burn in Godzilla is pretty keen.

However, Kong's script is better. And the actors are overall more engaging.

Too bad no one really wanted to see a $160M slow burn. 

52 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Kong does $61M opening weekend and now people are truly thinking that there will be a solo Rodan movie in 2021 lol. There won't be a Rodan movie, a Mothra movie, or a Ghidorah movie...ever! People need to slow down. 

Speculation is nice and all, but honestly Im not expecting solo outings featuring the likes of them. 

But if the stars aligned for them to be made thatd be great obviously. :P

Honestly, how many people said a Godzilla vs King Kong wouldn't happen, even after Legendary announced a Kong movie? I'm more on the side of those characters not getting solo films, but it's definitely not impossible.... People can be wishful and speculate on it if they want.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Honestly, how many people said a Godzilla vs King Kong wouldn't happen, even after Legendary announced a Kong movie? I'm more on the side of those characters not getting solo films, but it's definitely not impossible.... People can be wishful and speculate on it if they want.

Godzilla barely turned a profit, and he's the most famous of them all. They're not going to make a Rodan film just for the sake of extending the MonsterVerse. I'm sure Legendary will count their blessings if the rest of the scheduled movies do ok.