CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

How did Arrival, written by Ted Chiang do? :kitschjob:

It opened on the same weekend as Hacksaw Ridge :kitschjob: It did decently. 

Conjuring 2 was the biggest horror movie of all time here :redcapes: 

17 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Is Kong an American creation? If so, how crazy would be see an American Beast opening with the half of a Japanese Beast? I always thought that Kong was more popular than Godzilla.

Kong is American.

Would the new Godzilla vs King Kong count as a remake?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Is Kong an American creation? If so, how crazy would be to see an American Beast opening with the half of a Japanese Beast? I always thought that Kong was more popular than Godzilla.

Fifty years ago, this would have been true. It wouldn't be surprising in this decade if Godzilla ended up being more popular.

A page ago I said King Kong is a damaged brand. Godzilla was damaged in 2004 in his own country because the franchise was losing money. Now he's made a huge comeback with a Hollywood reboot and the enormous money-making Toho reboot Shin Godzilla (it was the second highest grossing Japanese film last year, it made almost $2 million in a limited United States theatrical run, and it is winning many awards in its home country). Combine that with news of Michael Dougherty becoming the director for Godzilla: King of Monsters, and Kong is being pushed back into the closet despite all of the marketing.

Case in point, this was trending yesterday:

16195012_1842735829318020_36905992176511

The Kong TV spots failed to break 10k discussions on Facebook. Of course, this does not account for people without social media, or those who don't know there's another King Kong movie nearing release. But the difference is jarring--especially when the above example is for a movie that's two years and two months away from release.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Fifty years ago, this would have been true. It wouldn't be surprising in this decade if Godzilla ended up being more popular.

A page ago I said King Kong is a damaged brand. Godzilla was damaged in 2004 in his own country because the franchise was losing money. Now he's made a huge comeback with a Hollywood reboot and the enormous money-making Toho reboot Shin Godzilla (it was the second highest grossing Japanese film last year, it made almost $2 million in a limited United States theatrical run, and it is winning many awards in its home country). Combine that with news of Michael Dougherty becoming the director for Godzilla: King of Monsters, and Kong is being pushed back into the closet despite all of the marketing.

Case in point, this was trending yesterday:

16195012_1842735829318020_36905992176511

The Kong TV spots failed to break 10k discussions on Facebook. Of course, this does not account for people without social media, or those who don't know there's another King Kong movie nearing release. But the difference is jarring--especially when the above example is for a movie that's two years and two months away from release.

I haven't watched Shin Godzilla yet, but I heard great things about it, really curious to check it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

People are racist and hate Asians :sadben:

Silence :sadben:

Those BO numbers for Silence wounds me.

I want to rewatch it but I can't even find it near me anymore. 

I think the Godzilla brand is safe, but Kong Skull Island is worrying me that they won't go beyond Godzilla vs Kong in the MonsterVerse.

Standalone films like Rodan and Mothra are definitely a question mark. That is if they wanted to expand beyond Godzilla and Kong.

There's still plenty of time for this to pick up buzz with a month still to go. It's not like it looks bad.

3 hours ago, Cookson said:

I think the Godzilla brand is safe, but Kong Skull Island is worrying me that they won't go beyond Godzilla vs Kong in the MonsterVerse.

Standalone films like Rodan and Mothra are definitely a question mark. That is if they wanted to expand beyond Godzilla and Kong.

There's still plenty of time for this to pick up buzz with a month still to go. It's not like it looks bad.

The Godzilla brand is gold - in Japan.

But the 2014 Godzilla is not well loved and I don't see why King Kong coming off a decade ago well reviewed movie that did $200m+ would be in worse shape than the next Godzilla or Godzilla 2014 was coming off the travesty of the 1997 version when it opened to $90m+.

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Not hearing good things at all from people who got to see this recently.  Production was also supposedly troubled.  

Now that you said this, I wouldn't be surprised if it inches across 100M. You've been accurate with inside scoop on quality in the past.

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I don't recall production being halted or anything. They pretty well shot through the 3-4 months.

The movie looks good.. so I'm just going to brush that aside.

There was the whole period when Keaton and Simmons were on board until they weren't.

• Like 1

Wasn't that like way before they started shooting though? I'm not too sure how bad this could be since it's much more a heavy CGI action Kong film.

As long as this hits 400m worldwide I'm sure things will be OK for the MonsterVerse. They'll make up the profit with merchandise, DVD/BD etc.