baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

Holy shit, the theater here is packed tonight. Lines around the the parking lot. Haven't seen this much activity since Catching Fire, though seems to be a lot more kids and teens.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

Some people called me a little crazy but can I gloat just a tiny bit....

I expect it to open to $70-$75 million. The marketing has been exceptional and the buzz is snowballing. We will see how high Warner Bros. are on Godzilla when the final marketing push rolls out. If it's massive and the movie actually lives up to the hype, then I think an Iron Man level opening may be possible. 

• Like 2

V - ‘Godzilla’ Destroying U.S. Box Office for $90 Million Opening

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/godzilla-destroying-u-s-box-office-for-90-million-opening-1201184080/

Early estimates for the iconic monster showed the Warner Bros.-Legendary Pictures’ title tracking to gross about $35 million on Friday. That figure included an impressive $9.3 million from latenight Thursday screenings.

“Godzilla” will likely wind up dropping at least 10% on Saturday to the $31 million range, then pull in around $22 million Sunday.

So the monster has a decent shot at cracking the $90 million barrier for its opening weekend — surmounted twice so far this year by Disney-Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” with $95 million and Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ with $91.6 million.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3

Just spent over 6.5 hours trying to get from the northwest NYC suburbs to Boston, a trip that normally takes half that time. It was one of the worst, most frustrating bits of travel I have ever experienced.

And I settle into my hotel room, turn on the wifi to check on what's happened during that black hole of lost time, and found this happened. I feel a bit better now.

• Like 8