AniNate

Joy | David O. Russell | Christmas 2015 | New Trailer on Page 20!

7 hours ago, 75live said:

RT finally learned how to do math and it's at 53% now.  At one point previously, it was 6 rotten 6 fresh and the rating was 33%.  lol   I think even the most mathematically challenged knew that was 50% :P 

At least thats better when it was down to 33.

20 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Will any film designed to counterprogram work? I mean, Star Wars appeals to pretty much every demo out there, and it's obviously the event film of the season. 

The holidays allow for people to catch up on movies and see as many as they like. Even with Star Wars sucking up the attention, there's more than enough room for other films to do well.

Besides, even though it won't loose theaters, Star Wars will have to loose some multiplex screens in its second week to make room for no less than 5 new movies that theaters are obligated to show.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2015, 4:58:58, MovieMan89 said:

After seeing Spotlight I'm not really sold that can win BP. Definitely not sold on Inarritu pulling back to back BP's either. So if this is on par with his last 3 films I could see it being the frontrunner due to a relatively weak slate and DOR not getting his recognition yet. 

Well that escalated (aka went up in flames) quickly. :lol: Bye bye Joy, thanks for playing. 

I was thinking it would be a great counterprogramming choice against Star Wars, but now I'm starting to feel that Sisters is gonna be a soft grosser. The ads have been pretty unfunny, yet the movie looks rather featherlight and inoffensive for something that carries an R rating. A total similar to the previous Fey/Poehler collaboration (Baby Mama) is probably the ceiling.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Wonder how this reception affects its box office now? DOR's last 3 films have all become big hits via fantastic WOM. So if that's absent for this it could be in trouble, especially with SW

I think opening against two other starry movies that are directly targeting the audience for this, one a drama and the other a comedy with drama elements, provide tougher competition for this than Star Wars.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

They should've edited Bradley Cooper out of this movie. His curse is affecting everyone this year.

Agreed, if American Sniper hadn't had Cooper it might have been profitable but as it stands it's a total bomb.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I think opening against two other starry movies that are directly targeting the audience for this, one a drama and the other a comedy with drama elements, provide tougher competition for this than Star Wars.

If audience reception mirrors critics, that will be what sinks it at the BO. The Fighter and AH both had 7.8x multis off of their wide release OW, and SLP had a staggered rollout, but the most it ever made in a weekend was 10m and finished with 130+. So his movies rely on fantastic WOM to do so well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If audience reception mirrors critics, that will be what sinks it at the BO. The Fighter and AH both had 7.8x multis off of their wide release OW, and SLP had a staggered rollout, but the most it ever made in a weekend was 10m and finished with 130+. So his movies rely on fantastic WOM to do so well. 

I don't disagree with this, but I'm guessing that the combo of mixed reviews/minimal awards buzz and strong competition on the adult front that have better reviews (if not exactly major awards buzz) won't help.

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Will any film designed to counterprogram work? I mean, Star Wars appeals to pretty much every demo out there, and it's obviously the event film of the season. 

Daddy's Home. It'll be the first alternative if SW7 sells out for most families, since it looks slightly more interesting for adults/teens/kids over the age of 10 than Alvin 4 :lol:

It's the kind of film that does $75 million+ DOM during Christmas time. (Parental Guidance, Little Fockers, Meet the Fockers, Cheaper by the Dozen 1 and 2, Bedtime Stories, etc). The last time this kind of movie did sub-$75 million during Christmas was... Fat Albert. 

I also think Revenant and Hateful Eight won't be hurt by SW7 at all due to Oscar buzz and their R ratings. Sisters/Alvin 4 should be successful, too. 

My guess for the top 12 December 2015 releases

1. Star Wars Episode VII: $875 million 
  2. The Hateful Eight: $150 million 
  3. Daddy's Home: $130 million 
  4. Sisters: $105 million 
  5. The Revenant: $90 million
  6. Alvin and the Chipmunks 4: $80 million 
  7. Joy: $55 million 
  8. Krampus: $45 million 
  9. Concussion: $40 million 
  10. In the Heart of the Sea: $35 million
  11. The Big Short: $30 million 
  12. Point Break: $15 million 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Joy easily looks the most Christmas-y film out of the three though. The Big Short is about 2008 financial crisis and Concussion about football head trama. I dont know if audiences are dying to watch either of those downers over Christmas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Daddy's Home. It'll be the first alternative if SW7 sells out for most families, since it looks slightly more interesting for adults/teens/kids over the age of 10 than Alvin 4 :lol:

It's the kind of film that does $75 million+ DOM during Christmas time. (Parental Guidance, Little Fockers, Meet the Fockers, Cheaper by the Dozen 1 and 2, Bedtime Stories, etc). The last time this kind of movie did sub-$75 million during Christmas was... Fat Albert. 

I also think Revenant and Hateful Eight won't be hurt by SW7 at all due to Oscar buzz and their R ratings. Sisters/Alvin 4 should be successful, too. 

My guess for the top 12 December 2015 releases

1. Star Wars Episode VII: $875 million 
  2. The Hateful Eight: $150 million 
  3. Daddy's Home: $130 million 
  4. Sisters: $105 million 
  5. The Revenant: $90 million
  6. Alvin and the Chipmunks 4: $80 million 
  7. Joy: $55 million 
  8. Krampus: $45 million 
  9. Concussion: $40 million 
  10. In the Heart of the Sea: $35 million
  11. The Big Short: $30 million