AniNate

Joy | David O. Russell | Christmas 2015 | New Trailer on Page 20!

It looks like Joy VS The Revenant VS Spotlight. Right now, I would go with Joy based on merit (DOR). Interesting. The Martian is the dark horse. It's impressive that DOR made a film based on the inventor of the miracle whip. Lawrence is my pick again for Best Actress, a lot of praise for her performance.

17 minutes ago, Exxdee said:

It looks like Joy VS The Revenant VS Spotlight. Right now, I would go with Joy based on merit (DOR). Interesting. The Martian is the dark horse. It's impressive that DOR made a film based on the inventor of the miracle whip. Lawrence is my pick again for Best Actress, a lot of praise for her performance.

I don't really give a fuck, but I thought I read a few people here say that after a test screening they thought that The Big Short might have a shot

Just saw the a commercial for Joy, and they finally did it in a way that actually gave a sense of the tone, shooting for the whole holiday, struggling underdog hits a home run theme. Its well done and Mrs Wrath could not possibly have eaten it up more. I seebig things.

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

After seeing Spotlight I'm not really sold that can win BP. Definitely not sold on Inarritu pulling back to back BP's either. So if this is on par with his last 3 films I could see it being the frontrunner due to a relatively weak slate and DOR not getting his recognition yet. 

Nah this is definitely not a front runner, not even in the top 5 , in fact even a nom is not assured. The reception to its screening wasn't good enough, according to Oscar analysts, mostly mixed-positive and even a best director nomination for Russel is not assured now. I went through a few current oscar projections from various different major media outlets and looks like after their screenings, of the three year end oscar-expected films - H8ful 8, revenant and Joy, The Revenant has gotten the best reception and its chances for Oscars and other awards seem even higher now than most expected while Joy has shifted down in the rankings and a clear consensus is still not out for H8ful 8. In fact the competition for nearly every major category, except for cinematography and best actor (both definitely going to Revenant), is really tight now. Only three pics are being considered as locks for even nomination in the Best Picture Category - Spotlight, Revenant and Martian, with good chances for Bridge of Spies, Carol, Brooklyn and Room. Its wide open after that for anything from between Inside Out, Mad Max, Hateful 8, Creed, Steve Jobs, Joy, Big Short and even Straight Outta Compton.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

Wow, didn't expect that slow of a start for this on RT.  I thought I was the only one that didn't see what the big deal about this movie was, but I still think it could end up fresh.

I thought Russel can sell anything to the critics after American Hustle. No BP or BD nomination i guess.

TOMATOMETER 

44%
Edited by misafeco