AniNate

Joy | David O. Russell | Christmas 2015 | New Trailer on Page 20!

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yet another lesson in prematurely anointing films and performances as sure fire Award winners when no one has seen the fucking movie.

Im still waiting for a clear contender to emerge. I dont think its ever taken so long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Im still waiting for a clear contender to emerge. I dont think its ever taken so long.

Academy members might have to do something radical and actually watch all those screeners and decide for themselves instead of just checking off all the anointed front runners and cronies

Nah

28 minutes ago, AJG said:

SW7 :ph34r:... Seriously though this year is shaping up well for the more commercial choices. Really weak year for the prestige films. Sad to see this film getting the reception it is though. It's almost certainly gonna flop. Hopefully JLaw will branch out a bit more.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Why would it flop? It's the sort of movie that'll probably be appealing to audiences.

I dont' think it will flop either and this is coming from someone who doesn't think the movie ever looked good.

My guess is people are thinking this is the kind of movie that needs reviews to boost it so when the reviews look really bad right now (not that it can't change), it could theoretically hurt the film

Or something like that :P 

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Why would it flop? It's the sort of movie that'll probably be appealing to audiences.

I'll admit I was too quick. Flop is the wrong word, since I don't even know what the budget is. It may open well, but I feel like WOM has to be good for a film like this to really succeed. I know it's way too early to say what WOM is either way, but an Oscar-bait type film that has pretty bad reviews doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

So Mockingjay Part 2 will be THG's lowest grosser, and now this gets early awful reviews and (maybe) eventual flop status. When do we get the first "The Honeymoon is Over: The Rise and Fall of an American Sweetheart" article? Which major pop culture pundit will be the first to blame this on J-Law's essay about not getting paid like her male peers? :)